U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM

8,868 posts, read 6,010,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
A new study shows that dealing with side effects of prescription drugs costs almost half a trillion dollars. Every year. It's estimated to be 16% of total healthcare costs.

Cost of Prescription Drug-related Morbidity and Mortality
Watanabe et al.
Annals of Pharmacotherapy; March 2018

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/...60028018765159

Objectives:
Applying the most current nationally representative data sources, our goal was to estimate the cost of prescription drug–related morbidity and mortality in the United States.
Results:
The estimated annual cost of prescription drug–related morbidity and mortality resulting from nonoptimized medication therapy was $528.4 billion in 2016 US dollars, with a plausible range of $495.3 billion to $672.7 billion. The average cost of an individual experiencing treatment failure, new medical problem, or treatment failure and new medical problem after initial prescription use were $2481 (range: $2233, $2742), $2610 (range: $2374, $2848) and $2572 (range: $2408, $2751), respectively.

Conclusions: The estimated annual cost of drug-related morbidity and mortality resulting from nonoptimized medication therapy was $528.4 billion, equivalent to 16% of total US health care expenditures in 2016.
Don't look now, but your linked sources (including the references in the above linked article) address morbidity and mortality related to the high costs of prescription drugs, leading to underutilization (or nonoptimization of prescribed drugs), not from side effects of these drugs. Their premise, at least in this series, is morbidity and mortality due to the relative unavailability of effective prescription drugs due to their high cost, leading to patients either not filling prescriptions, or cutting down on the amount taken, not refilling prescriptions to save the money. Side effects are not addressed in either this article or the references in the article.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 AM

11,243 posts, read 2,188,989 times
Quote:
A new study shows that dealing with side effects of prescription drugs costs almost half a trillion dollars. Every year. It's estimated to be 16% of total healthcare costs.

Cost of Prescription Drug-related Morbidity and Mortality
Watanabe et al.
Annals of Pharmacotherapy; March 2018

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/...60028018765159

Objectives:
Applying the most current nationally representative data sources, our goal was to estimate the cost of prescription drug–related morbidity and mortality in the United States.
Results:
The estimated annual cost of prescription drug–related morbidity and mortality resulting from nonoptimized medication therapy was $528.4 billion in 2016 US dollars, with a plausible range of $495.3 billion to $672.7 billion. The average cost of an individual experiencing treatment failure, new medical problem, or treatment failure and new medical problem after initial prescription use were $2481 (range: $2233, $2742), $2610 (range: $2374, $2848) and $2572 (range: $2408, $2751), respectively.

Conclusions: The estimated annual cost of drug-related morbidity and mortality resulting from nonoptimized medication therapy was $528.4 billion, equivalent to 16% of total US health care expenditures in 2016.

Virtually every drug has side effects...

The clue of course is whether benefits outweigh negative side effects. I take multiple meds...and accept the side effects based on the positive benefits of these drugs.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 AM

16,035 posts, read 5,058,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Virtually every drug has side effects...

The clue of course is whether benefits outweigh negative side effects. I take multiple meds...and accept the side effects based on the positive benefits of these drugs.
Yes, this is true and many are just not willing to deal with possible/probable side effects, so seek out and research alternatives to the drugs and they are out there for the most part.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:24 AM

20,481 posts, read 24,990,022 times
Quote:
Explain how not using a drug causes a drug-induced side effect./face palm/ The article discusses nonadherence as an issue, which is NOT a cause of side effects.

And then you pick a completely unrelated MSM article that is discussing a separate issue and pretend that it is related to what is in the OTHER peer-reviewed article... which is discussing something else.

Good lord. The stupid is strong today ...

Side effects are different from nonadherence. Want to discuss people who do not want to take drugs? START YOUR OWN THREAD.
However, your own source introduced the topic of nonadherence. It is included in the data from which it drew its conclusions. The one I provided suggests that nonadherence was a significant contributor to the final figures on costs.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 AM

20,481 posts, read 24,990,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't look now, but your linked sources (including the references in the above linked article) address morbidity and mortality related to the high costs of prescription drugs, leading to underutilization (or nonoptimization of prescribed drugs), not from side effects of these drugs. Their premise, at least in this series, is morbidity and mortality due to the relative unavailability of effective prescription drugs due to their high cost, leading to patients either not filling prescriptions, or cutting down on the amount taken, not refilling prescriptions to save the money. Side effects are not addressed in either this article or the references in the article.
You said it better than I did. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM

12,417 posts, read 6,889,424 times
Good grief I'm tired of the medication bashing threads. OK OP. Don't take medicine and die from the disease. Your choice.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:38 PM

16,035 posts, read 5,058,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good grief I'm tired of the medication bashing threads. OK OP. Don't take medicine and die from the disease. Your choice.
And I'm tired of the alt med bashing threads...so are we even or Karma evens it out or what. I've lived here for about 2 yrs with bashing my Alt Med recommendations/suggestions etc. I'm one who doesn't go back for more damage since I've been thru enough already.

And I'd venture to say more are dying from drug interactions. Spend some time in old age senior homes....just thinking IF only so many had started on supps in their 50's they would be in so much better condition. I've observed first hand....been in 3 in last year or so...

Visit the Caregiver area here and it's heartbreaking and especially memory issues..there are many ways to keep our memory sharp.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-12-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 12:56 PM

2,943 posts, read 1,057,612 times
I wish everyone....researchers, manufacturers, prescribers, patients, advertisers, and the gamut of scare tactic artists would re-frame the way they think about medications. You introduce a substance, other than basic nutrition, that the body doesn't create on its own for a specific purpose. The source of this substance could be anything from a "natural" origin to one designed, refined, concentrated, and packaged by a lab. By packaged I mean formed so that it is deliverable (liquid, pill, stabilized until used, digestible, palatable, tolerable). There will be desirable effects and undesirable effects as a result. Side or primary ends up being semantics. The point is to get more of the effects you want and less of the ones you don't for any particular purpose. Deciding which is which has to be teased apart by trials, testing, and reporting. Obviously everyone wants to know what the possible effects of the substance will be whether intended, hoped for or not. One of the biggest problems is ensuring the patient actually follows the directions to do to get the desired result.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You said it better than I did. Thanks.
Wow, that doesn't happen very often! Thanks back.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And I'm tired of the alt med bashing threads...so are we even or Karma evens it out or what. I've lived here for about 2 yrs with bashing my Alt Med recommendations/suggestions etc. I'm one who doesn't go back for more damage since I've been thru enough already.

And I'd venture to say more are dying from drug interactions. Spend some time in old age senior homes....just thinking IF only so many had started on supps in their 50's they would be in so much better condition. I've observed first hand....been in 3 in last year or so...

Visit the Caregiver area here and it's heartbreaking and especially memory issues..there are many ways to keep our memory sharp.
I don't think the topic here is victimhood, or pure speculation about what you "venture" to say.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or