U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 PM

3,611 posts, read 2,929,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
And so what? Any biologically active substance (your body does not know whether its a pharma drug, a native medicine drug, a biologically active plant growing in your garden, an alt medicine drug - all your body knows its that its a molecule) will have one or more side-effects. Because its... biologically active. ie - it does something in your body. A side effect is only a "side effect" because its what you, subjectively, don't want.
Exactly so - people don't understand that many drugs affect multiple systems, including psychoactive drugs. And many drug effects were discovered serendipitously. Minoxidil was approved for treating high blood pressure in 1979. Researchers found it caused hair growth as a side effect, and now it's used primarily as a hair growth product. They still don't know why it does this.

I'm on several medications for high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Most have side effects. One is a diuretic, and I get occasional gout attacks as a consequence. One lowers my heart rate to the point where I have a hard time getting my heart rate up when I exercise. Maybe in a century or so we'll have narrowly targeted designer drugs for specific conditions, but by and large that simply isn't the case now. We do what we can with what we know.

I would have likely died of a heart attack or stroke by now if it weren't for the medications my doctors have prescribed for me and the medical care I've gotten. I'm grateful to be living in a time when medical science can do so much to give me a comfortable life.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:43 PM

4,199 posts, read 10,005,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Explain how not using a drug causes a drug-induced side effect./face palm/ The article discusses nonadherence as an issue, which is NOT a cause of side effects.

And then you pick a completely unrelated MSM article that is discussing a separate issue and pretend that it is related to what is in the OTHER peer-reviewed article... which is discussing something else.

Good lord. The stupid is strong today ...

Side effects are different from nonadherence. Want to discuss people who do not want to take drugs? START YOUR OWN THREAD.
Yes....yes it is....

If you are going to "link" an article, try to read it and UNDERSTAND what it states..

From YOUR link...

"Public attention and recent US Congressional activity has intensified focus on escalating medication prices. However, the actual cost of medication use extends beyond the up-front cost of purchasing medicines. It also encompasses the additional medical costs of morbidity and mortality resulting from nonoptimized medication regimens, including medication nonadherence."

Did you even look at the conclusion which you DID copy and paste??????

Conclusions: The estimated annual cost of drug-related morbidity and mortality resulting from nonoptimized medication therapy was $528.4 billion, equivalent to 16% of total US health care expenditures in 2016.

Estimated annual cost from NON OPTIMIZED MEDICATION THERAPY!!!!!

Hint: That DOES NOT just mean side effects, it means non compliance, incorrect dosing, and a host of other issues NOT related to side effects

In FACT....WHERE does your abstract even state ANYTHING about side effects???

I will be able to view the whole article at work tomorrow but from what I can see this study is about non adherence, treatment failure and new problems that arise while in treatment with their associated costs.

I see NOTHING about side effects....

Good Lord...reading comprehension goes a long way

Old 04-12-2018, 02:56 PM

19,813 posts, read 24,291,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Wow, that doesn't happen very often! Thanks back.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,738,590 times
All's well that ends well. CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or