U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Northern panhandle WV
2,249 posts, read 1,745,861 times
Reputation: 4553

Advertisements

I have the home type that you use on your wrist. It is very accurate and consistent.

 
Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM
 
18,777 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have the home type that you use on your wrist. It is very accurate and consistent.
Thanks.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 02:48 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,146 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Reputation: 12709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was just going to correct myself but I meant to say Wrist monitor...but you beat me to correcting me Suzy, you are on top of it. The wrist monitor is what some have used and how accurate they are, don't know....does anyone else know.

I know about the finger and pulse/oxygen oximeter.
I had heard that the wrist monitors were less accurate than the monitors used on the arm. Seems that may be the case. Here is what Mayo Clinic has to say about wrist monitors.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/faq-20057802

As I read it, the take home message is that wrist monitors are prone to errors due to their being very sensitive to movement or positioning while blood pressure is measured, and they tend to give higher readings compared to the arm monitors. Still, they may be better than nothing, if a person cannot have blood pressure checked using an arm monitor.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26440
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Although not commonly seen, there are actually quite a few devices that measure your blood pressure on your finger.

The Best Finger Blood Pressure Monitor In The Market Today!
Thanks. The only thing I had been able to find questioned the reliability.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
BP machines that don't control your arm height to be at heart level are inaccurate. Omron brand is touted worldwide as the most accurate by Cardiologists and Valve experts.

There are 1,001 wrong ways to take BP and it is important to take BP in a controlled setting where your feet are firmly planted on the ground, you are not speaking and you have been resting for at least 5 minutes. Your BP will be elevated if you drink caffeine, artificially low if you drink alcohol prior to taking it, etc. There are a million reasons for BP to be too high or low. I am willing to wager a high reading at home given perfect technique and conditions should be more alarming to you than a high reading in the Doctor's office.

Since BP can be volatile and change to accommodate the requirements of the body to get blood in a certain place at a certain time, this is why it is important to take at home when relaxed preferably at the same time in the morning.

Put your feet firmly on the ground, empty your bladder and be well rested. Do not drink caffeine until you take the reading. Take 3 readings maybe 2-3 minutes apart, preferably in the morning before activity has started. Maybe breath consciously but at normal depth and pace as much as possible.

In my opinion - All other BP readings are INNACURATE and should be taken with a grain of salt. The only proper way for a Doctor to take a BP reading is using a manual reader that he pumps, your left arm should be held at heart level and you should be quiet. If a Doctor takes your BP wrong (90%) I would question any other advice he gives you as a Medical professional. Most Nurses in my experience cannot take BP properly.

With the way most Medical professionals take BP these days I am surprised EVERYONE is not on HBP meds. The reality is - HBP and Cholesterol meds are utterly useless and they DO NOT solve the underlying problem. If your BP is truly high unless you have a history of severe brain strokes or aneurysms don't even think about BP meds and that is after your neck arteries have been examined and an MRI and/or CAT scan.

You are looking to protect your kidneys, brain and heart. When the EKG is normal below age 40-45, kidney sonogram looks alright and no unexplained side effects of suspected constricted blood vessels in the brain - The choice should always be to adjust diet and 90% of the time you are consuming some stimulant which is artificially increasing your BP. For me this was simple: Caffeine.

Ensure magnesium levels are optimal - That being said it is impossible to measure tissue magnesium. Blood electrolyte levels will remain consistent in 90% of cases unless we are talking end stage renal disease. A Doctor cannot tell you if you are low on Mag unless you have muscle twitches, and even then it could be low Potassium as well.

Lastly, BP is just ONE thing to look at, differential diagnosis is CRITICAL. If your Doctor is not examining the full picture fire him or her and get a new one. I have fired MANY Doctors and I am still alive today despite being told numerous times my BP is 300/200 and I will die TODAY (10 years ago) if I do not immediately start taking BP meds. I was told this by a Nurse (I am being SERIOUS) at the age of 20. The Doctor pulled her aside and said something (probably along the lines of "You're an idiot") but calmly explained to me this BP is impossible in any mammal and it was taken incorrectly.

Now it in fact WAS high at the time but artificially due to energy drinks. It is a shame that there is so much misinformation about BP and it's place in the diagnosis process. It has become useless due to improper technique.
No, automatic readings can be accurate. That is why they are used in intensive care units and operating rooms.

The whole purpose for treating high blood pressure is to prevent complications such as heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure, and it does do that. You really do not want to wait until one of those has already happened to do something about it.

Your 300/200 blood pressure was obviously wrong, but it is not impossible for such a pressure to be obtained in a human:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2632751

"To study the mechanisms of the blood pressure changes during weight-lifting, three hypertensive and five normotensive body-builders underwent continuous intra-arterial monitoring. In two subjects (one normotensive and one hypertensive), intrathoracic and intra-abdominal pressures were also measured. Extremely high blood pressure elevations of up to 345/245 mmHg were observed during the lifts."

Note the pressure was measured directly in the artery, not with a cuff.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 03:45 PM
 
1,063 posts, read 323,221 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, automatic readings can be accurate. That is why they are used in intensive care units and operating rooms.

The whole purpose for treating high blood pressure is to prevent complications such as heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure, and it does do that. You really do not want to wait until one of those has already happened to do something about it.

Your 300/200 blood pressure was obviously wrong, but it is not impossible for such a pressure to be obtained in a human:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2632751

"To study the mechanisms of the blood pressure changes during weight-lifting, three hypertensive and five normotensive body-builders underwent continuous intra-arterial monitoring. In two subjects (one normotensive and one hypertensive), intrathoracic and intra-abdominal pressures were also measured. Extremely high blood pressure elevations of up to 345/245 mmHg were observed during the lifts."

Note the pressure was measured directly in the artery, not with a cuff.
Interesting and thanks. The Doctor said that BP was not even possible except in a pre-historic mammal not adjusting for size difference in arteries of course (as measured by cuff).

But if we are seeing those readings intra-arterial then that is all the more reason why accuracy is important. Perhaps instead of BP with the current technology we should be looking at actual arterial health and find a way to determine that on the go instead of relying on BP which fluctuates wildly by time, by activity and by individual.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Reputation: 9423
This is fun -- and you can try it at home if you have a home monitor.

Sit down, take your blood pressure. Let's say it measures 145/90. Take a minute or two and do some relaxed breathing. Think pleasant thoughts (for me, it's a mountain meadow, filled with wild flowers).

Then visualize the reading you want -- let's say 120/74. Breathe in and breath out that number for four or five deep breaths. See it in your mind's eye. Take your BP.

I can usually get my BP within 1-2 points of the measurement I visualized.

See if you can, too.

You surely can lower your BP with your mind. The challenge is to keep up your deep breathing and relaxing thoughts when faced with life's normal stressors.

I know I tend to hold my breath or take shallow breaths when stressed -- voila! Instant raised BP measurements.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Interesting and thanks. The Doctor said that BP was not even possible except in a pre-historic mammal not adjusting for size difference in arteries of course (as measured by cuff).

But if we are seeing those readings intra-arterial then that is all the more reason why accuracy is important. Perhaps instead of BP with the current technology we should be looking at actual arterial health and find a way to determine that on the go instead of relying on BP which fluctuates wildly by time, by activity and by individual.
Most of us would not like to have an artery stuck every time we need to have our blood pressures taken.

I doubt there will be any practical replacement technique for evaluating arterial health in the near term. Whatever is used has to be simple and inexpensive.

If it is obvious that the person taking a blood pressure appears to be having difficulty then the patient should ask for someone with more experience to do it. No big deal. Getting angry about it is guaranteed to make your blood pressure go up, though.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
This is fun -- and you can try it at home if you have a home monitor.

Sit down, take your blood pressure. Let's say it measures 145/90. Take a minute or two and do some relaxed breathing. Think pleasant thoughts (for me, it's a mountain meadow, filled with wild flowers).

Then visualize the reading you want -- let's say 120/74. Breathe in and breath out that number for four or five deep breaths. See it in your mind's eye. Take your BP.

I can usually get my BP within 1-2 points of the measurement I visualized.

See if you can, too.

You surely can lower your BP with your mind. The challenge is to keep up your deep breathing and relaxing thoughts when faced with life's normal stressors.

I know I tend to hold my breath or take shallow breaths when stressed -- voila! Instant raised BP measurements.
That's why quiet rest is recommended for about five minutes before the reading is obtained.

Maintaining the relaxation during the course of an ordinary day, not to mention a challenging one, would be beyond most of us, I'm afraid.
 
Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Houston
126 posts, read 46,533 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Anxiety and stress CAN raise your BP.
Significantly. My BP is always 20 points higher in the Dr.'s office than at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top