U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 AM

916 posts, read 364,308 times

Advertisements

I often find the people who take my BP wrong. If I go to a minute clinic they are wrong, sometimes they even can't "find" it. I have a nurse at work and this nurse is a real nurse and he can't take my BP worth a darn. According to him I am ALL over the place. One time 150//90 one time 110/60. I have stopped going to him because he is so useless.

But typically my doctors office is ok -- usually consistent.

So the last 4 times I went to the doctor my BP came back high with a consistent creep up. I became a little concerned and when today's reading back high... 129/83 (I am normally 110/70) for the 4th time over a year... I mentioned it to my doctor. Tests show that I am heading into menopause so... that is when BP can start creeping up.

So my doctor takes the BP. 106/72. She took it a second time and it was 110/70. I trust my doctor so I am happy with that. She suggested that maybe I had just come up the stairs when I had it done the first time but.. no, EVERY time I have my BP done I have just come up the stairs and it had been a lot lower.

I just think that various providers don't know how to take it. How can I monitor it if I can't get an accurate read?

Frustrated.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM

26,786 posts, read 17,223,791 times
Your blood pressure changes all the time. If you are very concerned pick up a home BP monitor and you can do it yourself. I do.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your blood pressure changes all the time. If you are very concerned pick up a home BP monitor and you can do it yourself. I do.
Those are notoriously inaccurate.

If my BP changes all the time why has it remained pretty stable at every doctors appointment for the last 5 years until recently and now, my BP when checked by the doctor matches that? Leads to the idea that the people taking it most recently don't know what they are doing.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Those are notoriously inaccurate.

If my BP changes all the time why has it remained pretty stable at every doctors appointment for the last 5 years until recently and now, my BP when checked by the doctor matches that? Leads to the idea that the people taking it most recently don't know what they are doing.

Because as we get older things like blood pressure change?

My cuff shows essentially the same readings as the docs (and I go 8 times a year), it doesn't have to MATCH it needs to show an "average" for lack of a better term. Like I said, BP varies through out the day.

Mine had always been fine, and then inched up, and then took a huge leap up..... it is what it is.

Minor variations can be affected by diet, weight gain, a salty meal, stress.... any number of factors at a given reading.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 AM

38,510 posts, read 44,474,001 times
Your attitude causes blood pressure changes immediately. Taking a blood pressure count is a no brainer. Digital BP monitors are accurate.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Your attitude causes blood pressure changes immediately. Taking a blood pressure count is a no brainer. Digital BP monitors are accurate.
No it doesn't- your mind can't control your BP.

Quote:
Minor variations can be affected by diet, weight gain, a salty meal, stress.... any number of factors at a given reading.
As I mentioned... it isn't a minor variation. Today I had ONE reading with one person, and 10 minutes later, an accurate reading over 30 points different. This leads to the conclusion that it was an inaccurate reading cause by human error. Which seems to be happening all the time lately.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 AM

4,742 posts, read 5,797,091 times
Quote:

As I mentioned... it isn't a minor variation. Today I had ONE reading with one person, and 10 minutes later, an accurate reading over 30 points different. This leads to the conclusion that it was an inaccurate reading cause by human error. Which seems to be happening all the time lately.
Maybe you were anxious with the first or second BP. It does not take much to get our hearts to beat faster.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Anxiety and stress CAN raise your BP.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 AM

12,976 posts, read 6,861,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maybe you were anxious with the first or second BP. It does not take much to get our hearts to beat faster.
Heart (pulse) rate is not the same as blood pressure.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Anxiety and stress CAN raise your BP.
Nope. That is just something doctors say when you have a high reading and they don't want to worry you. My mom always said it was stress and being nervous... a doctor told me it wasn't true and it has been scientifically debunked. IF we could do that people could control lowering it at a doctor's visit which never happens.

Heart rate is low.. and was with both the doctor and the nurse. 60. The doctor was just making excuses for the bad reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or