Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I increase my intake of calories and healthy fats (avocado, nuts, olive oil) for the 3 days immediately prior to the test. Then of course I fast pre-test as instructed by my doctor - 12 hours - during which I make sure to stay hydrated. But I eat healthy fats right up to the deadline. My favorite thing is to eat 1/2 an avocado sprinkled with lemon juice as I watch the clock tick down to the 12-hour mark.

When I do this, my LDL always tests in range. In the past, I'd try to cut my fat and calorie intake way down for a week or so before the blood draw and my LDL always tested high.

Dave Feldman, a software/data engineer, has been experimenting with and tracking this phenomena for awhile now. He calls it the "Feldman Protocol".

For anyone wondering, it's not cheating unless your doctor specifically tells you to cut back on calories and fat for a few days preceding the test. My doctor knows what I do. As long as I follow the 12-hr fasting instructions, he's good with it.
I don't think I would want a test result that only reflects the 3 days prior to the test.
It would help me more to know what the levels are the other 51 weeks of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I don't think I would want a test result that only reflects the 3 days prior to the test.
It would help me more to know what the levels are the other 51 weeks of the year.

I was thinking the same thing....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Every body is different. Keeping records today is easy.
I'm saving for my FitzBit!!

Old 04-14-2018, 09:50 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
I increase my intake of calories and healthy fats (avocado, nuts, olive oil) for the 3 days immediately prior to the test. Then of course I fast pre-test as instructed by my doctor - 12 hours - during which I make sure to stay hydrated. But I eat healthy fats right up to the deadline. My favorite thing is to eat 1/2 an avocado sprinkled with lemon juice as I watch the clock tick down to the 12-hour mark.

When I do this, my LDL always tests in range. In the past, I'd try to cut my fat and calorie intake way down for a week or so before the blood draw and my LDL always tested high.

Dave Feldman, a software/data engineer, has been experimenting with and tracking this phenomena for awhile now. He calls it the "Feldman Protocol".

For anyone wondering, it's not cheating unless your doctor specifically tells you to cut back on calories and fat for a few days preceding the test. My doctor knows what I do. As long as I follow the 12-hr fasting instructions, he's good with it.
Unless you eat that way all the time it is cheating. You have no idea what your values are when you eat your normal diet.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:

You're fooling yourself... Why would you do that to yourself?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, my husband would call that "studying for your blood test.".:
I call it "feasting for my blood test" and look forward to it.
I'm on the small side, and my regular day in, day out, calorie count is about 1100-1400 so it's a great excuse to pig out! For those 3 days, about 2200 calories is all I can handle though. A whole avocado, a few extra handfuls of nuts, extra olive oil on my fish and salad, and I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My doc knows I eat a low carb, high (healthy) fat diet year around and that I don't change that, just add lots of extra calories for a few days pre test. He says it's fine, as long as I fast the 12 hrs.

He says many of his patients do the opposite and diet strenuously the week before the test and as far he's concerned that's fine too.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
For me, and I have proven this to myself and doc a few times.. bad carbs... make my cholesterol levels go up. When stopped and eat good carbs I see a very dramatic difference, decrease, in all numbers.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:28 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
I call it "feasting for my blood test" and look forward to it.
I'm on the small side, and my regular day in, day out, calorie count is about 1100-1400 so it's a great excuse to pig out! For those 3 days, about 2200 calories is all I can handle though. A whole avocado, a few extra handfuls of nuts, extra olive oil on my fish and salad, and I'm done.
"All" of that adds 700-900 calories...something doesn't add up.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"All" of that adds 700-900 calories...something doesn't add up.
Why? Avocado about 300, 1 cup of mixed nuts about 800 calories...

You saying too much or too little?

Anyways, my goal is to BE healthy, not appear healthy on tests.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Unless you eat that way all the time it is cheating. You have no idea what your values are when you eat your normal diet.
Exactly..The goal is not to get a "good number" on the test.
The goal is to get an accurate number of what your lipids are
normally.

It would be like drinking cold water to get a normal temperature reading
when you have a high fever. What is the point of a false result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness