U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 AM

1,255 posts, read 594,205 times

Advertisements

Your doctor will keep adjusting your meds until your numbers are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 08:37 AM

255 posts, read 110,702 times
You could have resistant hypertension. My Mother did. She was on a lot of medications to have it go down and keep it down, often times it really didnt lower it much. It got worse every year. It started in her late 30's to 40's. By the time she got into her late 50's and 60's her pressure was often 250/115. Off to the ER and she would take a shot to lower it quickly. But it was a life long struggle for her. I worry sometimes I might end up the same.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM

69 posts, read 30,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Yes, you need to talk with your doctor.

That number is too high. Absolutely.

The majority of people with high blood pressure have a genetic/hormonal predisposition to high blood pressure. While diet/exercise/salt intake may modify it some, eventually with aging the blood pressure will continue to rise. It is also common for the blood pressure to drop nicely when you first start a new medication and then for it to creep up over time.

It is also very common for some people to require multiple medications to manage their blood pressure, or to have to increase their dose of these medicines over time.

Be very careful taking random supplements/herbals/chinese medicines. These are not well tested, and may not contain what you think they contain. Many of them are blood thinners or can interact with your other medications. Often we have no idea how they will interact with your other medications. I have seen multiple people have strokes/brain bleeds after taking unknown "chinese herbs". Always tell your doctor what you are taking - this includes all over the counter medications, supplements, herbs etc..

Every disease is caused by a combination of your genetics/predisposition for the disease, and your environment... which includes what you eat/if you exercise/toxin exposures etc... We get a little too fixated on finding the one "cause" of our problem. Usually it is a combination of things that contribute to it.
This is so true I am finding it out painfully. My BP has always been on the low end. I keep track of it because they put me on birth control pills two years ago due to horrible pre-menopause symptoms. I have been doing great until few months ago when I started getting wild mood swings. Someone suggested I take St. John's wort. So a week ago I started taking it. It worked wonders, I was really happy and my mood stabilized. Last Monday night I ate some pickles with dinner and had a really bad headache. Tuesday morning I got up with the same headache which would not respond to any medication. So at one point I measured my BP because I know my mom used to get headaches from high BP. Well my BP was 159/99 which is a number I have never seen. I am usually around 110/70 or so. So since Monday night I have an ongoing constant headache and BP that won't go down below 135/90. In the mornings, it goes up as high as 170/99. I am seeing a doctor today and I am so pissed off at myself. I checked online on side effects of St. John's wort (which obviously I stopped immediately) and it indicates it may cause major BP spikes especially combined with certain foods including fermented food. I am pretty sure it is the cause of my BP spike and now I don't know how to lower it. Doctor will probably put me on BP pills and probably will take me off birth control pills which has been a life saver for me. So, yea, don't just take any supplements, they can be dangerous.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 AM

785 posts, read 685,444 times
I think if you don't track exactly what you eat everyday and monitor sodium, you are probably way over the daily limit.

My blood pressure varies during the day, usually highest in the mornings at around 155/95. Doctor wanted me on meds. I resisted and tried to just eat better and exercise more. I started tracking, to the gram, everything I eat everyday using the app Cronometer (great app that tracks vitamins and minerals).

Before I changed my diet, my sodium intake was in the 4000-5000mg range, twice the RDA. Once I changed my diet, I keep it below 2000mg, trying to stay as close to 1500mg as possible, but it is very hard, everything has too much salt. Forget about anything in a can or jar.

So after a couple weeks of a true low sodium diet, my BP is down to 130/83.

It's no wonder half the country has high blood pressure, our food is flooded with salt.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 AM

9,045 posts, read 6,209,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust05 View Post
This is so true I am finding it out painfully. My BP has always been on the low end. I keep track of it because they put me on birth control pills two years ago due to horrible pre-menopause symptoms. I have been doing great until few months ago when I started getting wild mood swings. Someone suggested I take St. John's wort. So a week ago I started taking it. It worked wonders, I was really happy and my mood stabilized. Last Monday night I ate some pickles with dinner and had a really bad headache. Tuesday morning I got up with the same headache which would not respond to any medication. So at one point I measured my BP because I know my mom used to get headaches from high BP. Well my BP was 159/99 which is a number I have never seen. I am usually around 110/70 or so. So since Monday night I have an ongoing constant headache and BP that won't go down below 135/90. In the mornings, it goes up as high as 170/99. I am seeing a doctor today and I am so pissed off at myself. I checked online on side effects of St. John's wort (which obviously I stopped immediately) and it indicates it may cause major BP spikes especially combined with certain foods including fermented food. I am pretty sure it is the cause of my BP spike and now I don't know how to lower it. Doctor will probably put me on BP pills and probably will take me off birth control pills which has been a life saver for me. So, yea, don't just take any supplements, they can be dangerous.
I know birth control pills can cause, or at least be responsible for high blood pressure- perhaps in those who are already predisposed to get it, anyway. Many years ago I took birth control pills, but the ob-gyn insisted that I return for blood pressure checks every 3-6 months, I think it was. My blood pressure did go up ( I was in my late 20's, not overweight, and otherwise well, although there is a strong history of hypertension on my dad's side of the family and he had it as a young man, not overweight either), and the doc took me off the birth control pills after I had taken them for maybe 8 months. He told me they were not an option for me.

Maybe birth control pills are better today, I don't know, and maybe in your case the St. John's Wort put the icing on a process already going on with your BP,, but with your high blood pressure I would not be surprised if your doctor put the kabosh on your taking birth control pills. Maybe you can talk him/her into waiting to see if your BP normalizes without the birth control pills before you start taking blood pressure meds.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM

9,922 posts, read 9,146,206 times
OP here, revisiting topic. Found some useful info here. You know Im embarrassed to say that I didn't realize that I may have to change meds throughout my lifetime. I've found something that worked and didn't have pesky side effects and overall I'm happy with it, but maybe sfcambridge is right.

Also tabbychic, I may have drawn the short straw and have resistant hypertension. So many people say weight loss brings their pressure down dramatically. I had no such improvement. My heart health improved, my pulse went down and my arrythmia corrected itself but my pressure is as high as it ever was if I didn't take meds. I've had to add a med in order to manage the HBP.

I really don't want anything stronger but it's all about managing it. I know HBP isn't something to mess around with. It's frustrating...

I try to track everything, including salt, but maybe it's still too high? I don't add salt but it's prevalent in so many other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness