U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 PM

9,712 posts, read 8,899,706 times

Advertisements

Before meds I was stage 2/3 hypertensive. I used to be on losartan only because my body agreed with that drug more than the others. Unfortunately the decrease wasnít sitting well with my doctor. I was consistently 145/95, with it increasing to 160/100 when I had my period. He then prescribed a diuretic, hctz, to take with losartan and that seemed to do the trick. Pressure went down to that holy number 120/80. For some strange reason the bottom number has started creeping upwards. Now itís closer to 90. Iím ok stress wise. Iím pretty active too and my diets ok and not too high in sodium. I donít follow dash but itís not close to 2000 mg. Managing my pressure can be a pita sometimes. Should I ask my dr to adjust my meds, maybe take more of the hctz? I take a low dose currently. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 PM

225 posts, read 96,861 times
some people just have a propensity to be hypertensive, Meds can only do so much. Maybe weight loss and exercise. If you tried that you might just run high.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 AM

9,712 posts, read 8,899,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
some people just have a propensity to be hypertensive, Meds can only do so much. Maybe weight loss and exercise. If you tried that you might just run high.
My BMI is in the 21-22 range and I exercise eight hrs a week most of the time. I lost over 70 lbs so I wish that couldíve fixed my problem. Iím just wondering if I should care that the bottom number is no longer 80

Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,123,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My BMI is in the 21-22 range and I exercise eight hrs a week most of the time. I lost over 70 lbs so I wish that couldíve fixed my problem. Iím just wondering if I should care that the bottom number is no longer 80
As many are saying around here, being fixed on that "number" is making many nuts.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:02 PM

11,437 posts, read 2,251,873 times
Quote:
Before meds I was stage 2/3 hypertensive. I used to be on losartan only because my body agreed with that drug more than the others. Unfortunately the decrease wasnít sitting well with my doctor. I was consistently 145/95, with it increasing to 160/100 when I had my period. He then prescribed a diuretic, hctz, to take with losartan and that seemed to do the trick. Pressure went down to that holy number 120/80. For some strange reason the bottom number has started creeping upwards. Now itís closer to 90. Iím ok stress wise. Iím pretty active too and my diets ok and not too high in sodium. I donít follow dash but itís not close to 2000 mg. Managing my pressure can be a pita sometimes. Should I ask my dr to adjust my meds, maybe take more of the hctz? I take a low dose currently. Thanks

You need to ask your MD any questions about changing meds or doses....

Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM

25,768 posts, read 16,609,522 times
Quote:
If you consistently inch higher and it holds steady your doctor will probably want to increase your dose.

I've been in the same situation.

On the plus side, mine actually just went down out of the blue, the only thing I've been doing different is adding the HIIT one day a week in place of other exercise. So I'm now at the lowest dose.... we'll see what happens.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 694,838 times
Isn't it possible that HBP is a symptom of a problem, rather than a cause? Does lowering BP with drugs really solve anything?

Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 PM

25,768 posts, read 16,609,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Isn't it possible that HBP is a symptom of a problem, rather than a cause? Does lowering BP with drugs really solve anything?
Yes, it does. It prevents strokes and heart attacks. Linked to kidney disease and dementia.

While some people have a reason for high blood pressure, other just have it and the medical reason is unknown.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 AM

5,056 posts, read 9,206,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I wonder the same thing...staying on meds for life is a bandaid for the problem. But stroking out isn't appealing, either -- so I'm staying on my meds until I find another way to search for a resolution!

Western medicine seems to say they haven't figured out the root cause for most HBP.

I know I'm a type A but my cholesterol, triglycerides, and other blood work shows everything A+ I'm slender, exercise quite a bit and eat well. Low sodium. Lots of leafy greens, etc. Going to do more yoga for work on the deep breathing and calming effect.

Now exploring Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for treatment and possible solution to HBP. 5000 years of this medicine appeals to me...lots of centuries of practice...now searching for a practioner.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:04 AM

2,551 posts, read 3,032,722 times
Yes, you need to talk with your doctor.

That number is too high. Absolutely.

The majority of people with high blood pressure have a genetic/hormonal predisposition to high blood pressure. While diet/exercise/salt intake may modify it some, eventually with aging the blood pressure will continue to rise. It is also common for the blood pressure to drop nicely when you first start a new medication and then for it to creep up over time.

It is also very common for some people to require multiple medications to manage their blood pressure, or to have to increase their dose of these medicines over time.

Be very careful taking random supplements/herbals/chinese medicines. These are not well tested, and may not contain what you think they contain. Many of them are blood thinners or can interact with your other medications. Often we have no idea how they will interact with your other medications. I have seen multiple people have strokes/brain bleeds after taking unknown "chinese herbs". Always tell your doctor what you are taking - this includes all over the counter medications, supplements, herbs etc..

Every disease is caused by a combination of your genetics/predisposition for the disease, and your environment... which includes what you eat/if you exercise/toxin exposures etc... We get a little too fixated on finding the one "cause" of our problem. Usually it is a combination of things that contribute to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness