U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:06 PM

5,715 posts, read 1,644,773 times

Advertisements

We still have the immune systems that were bequeathed to us by our ancient ancestors-----who never washed their hands and didn't even know that germs existed. Somehow, they managed to survive. Unfortunately, germophobes have proliferated. They say that the looniness of Howard Hughes primarily stemmed from his obsession with germs. Get a grip on this, or you'll end up like him.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:37 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,738,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
We still have the immune systems that were bequeathed to us by our ancient ancestors-----who never washed their hands and didn't even know that germs existed. Somehow, they managed to survive. Unfortunately, germophobes have proliferated. They say that the looniness of Howard Hughes primarily stemmed from his obsession with germs. Get a grip on this, or you'll end up like him.
That's somewhat the way I feel. OP, get over the germophobia.

There's some old saying about "you're gonna eat a lotta dirt before you die." We have all eaten things that are not 100% clean. Maybe we're even a little bit healthier due to not living in a sterile environment.

With the water pitcher, wash it with hot soapy water. Having someone with dirty hands touch the spout of my water pitcher would bother me too. There is an "ick" factor to it.

While you're working on getting over your dread of germs, maybe get a ton of little bottles of water so you will never run out when he comes to visit. Maybe you could also get a bottle of that hand sanitizer in a pump type container, place it right on the bathroom sink, and tell him about it before he uses the bathroom. Personally, I don't use the stuff except when traveling, but I keep a container on the sink for guests--along with a clean guest towel to make things easier for them.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:44 PM

82,790 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
Actually, somehow, some survived long enough to reproduce.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:48 PM

2,295 posts, read 776,756 times
OP, after reading your posts about this here are a few suggestions FWIW:

Just wash the water jug or other dishes he uses with hot water/soap. That needs to get done regardless of who touches them and it does work.

Leave a can of disinfecting spray handy. After he touches your pitcher, give it a spritz (but don't do it right in front of him...that would be pretty rude!).

Don't keep a drink pitcher in plain view in your fridge....he can fill a glass with tap water and you can drop a couple of ice cubes in the glass to chill it. I know some will immediately whine that tap water tastes bad. Well, there are many faucet filters on the market to deal with all that.

Make it super simple for someone to walk out of your bathroom with relatively clean hands...put a pump bottle of no-rinse, quick drying hand sanitizer right on the counter in plain view. Many people are more likely to clean their hands if it is completely quick and simple to do so. Compared to running the water, grabbing soap, washing, using the towel takes silly moments more than a squirt of gel. I know, I know, debate rages whether hand sanitizing products do all they claim, but frankly its going to help and it may relieve YOUR anxiety.

Politely tell this guest if he shows up that you can't visit at the moment. Maybe offer to meet him someplace nearby (common area? patio? park?) other than you apartment if you really worry about him being in your space. During all the times he's visited you nothing bad has happened, right? It's worth remembering.

But, that leads me to what may be the most important tip: Realize that you are going to drive yourself batty overanalyzing this. Sounds like you are heading down that pathway already based on how concerned you are. THIS is the problem, not whether every person who walks through your door is carrying potential disease. Accept the fact that this guest isn't likely to change his habits or his view about such things. Unless you know he is carrying some communicable disease the chance that you get sick because of him is low. Do some reading about OCD and phobias about germs so you understand why this is becoming a problem for you and ways to get yourself out of that path again. The world is going to become more and more frightening for you if you don't. That is the sadder thing no one wants for you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-14-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 01:52 PM

14,415 posts, read 4,363,855 times
Quote:
Right on, couldn't agree more. I like cleanliness but I'm not obsessive, nope. And I never bought into that anti bacterial soap craze everyone is into.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:53 PM

13,598 posts, read 1,464,244 times
Boil a pot of water & once it is boiled, pour it all over your water pitcher, you will then have sterilized it. Try to put these germ images out of your head, germs are part of life, like oxygen is.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM

1,044 posts, read 406,239 times
Quote:
Again he did this very unexpectedly and quickly. When he comes back to the living room from the bathroom, i didn't think much except he would just go back and sit on the couch. He basically grabbed the water pitcher where i couldn't even react. He also was looking at my food and even said you mind if i help myself with some bread? Now i don't mind this. The issue was he was looking at it... touching it and then opening the bread loaf bag himself... this is probably like a few minutes right after he touched the water pitcher. But to me, that isn't that big of a deal because well after im done with the bread, well i dont keep the container as its plastic. But if someone wants some food in my apartment where you have to open the packaging, well i would prefer to do it myself and give it to them. Thus wash my hands first etc. He also took some snacks as well but no issue because those are in a package. But the water pitcher is a complete different story.
If he is coming in and rummaging around in your kitchen looking for food and drink, that would bother me more than the germs. Who does that? If you really want to have him visit in your place, keep some drinks and packaged snacks handy. But if I were you I would put an end to it now. It sounds like he does not respect boundaries. People like that, in my house, make me VERY nervous.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:33 PM

23,675 posts, read 13,348,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh. My. God!

1. Washing your hands frequently on general principals is a good idea.
2. While urine is sterile (unless you have a UTI) toilet paper and the feces it picks up when you wipe are not.
3. Have you never heard of the "fecal-oral" route of disease spread? If you had a bowel movement, you will almost certainly have some feces on your hands, even if you can't see it. For women, with all the plumbing close together, you're likely to pick up some feces with wiping, even if you just urinate.

You're somewhat correct about the faucet handles, which is why most public restrooms have remote handles these days. Even with regular handles like you find in a home, the soap you (hopefully) use does kill most of the germs, and you can always use a paper towel, piece of toilet paper, your elbow, whatever to shut off the faucet if you're *that* concerned, which it sounds like you're not, anyway. Most people are immune to the germs found in their own homes.

After spending all winter trying to tell people handwashing won't stop the spread of flu by much, now we're dealing with people who think it's unnecessary to wash after using the toilet!
But here is the thing, ClaraC is right. Unless you have sensor faucets, the faucet will get touched and you'll spread fecal bacteria on the handles for the next party or even yourself when you turn it off. Every surface you touch whether you have washed your hands or not, can spread germs. Scary, huh? I'm not, it is a fact of life sadly.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:36 PM

82,790 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But here is the thing, ClaraC is right. Unless you have sensor faucets, the faucet will get touched and you'll spread fecal bacteria on the handles for the next party or even yourself when you turn it off. Every surface you touch whether you have washed your hands or not, can spread germs. Scary, huh? I'm not, it is a fact of life sadly.
That really takes the cake for excuses for not washing your hands. I already explained the soap, which ClaraC doesn't use, would take care of anything you picked up touching the faucet. If you have that much concern about what's on the faucet, you can use a paper towel/piece of TP if no paper towels, or even your elbow to shut off the faucet.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:38 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,104,229 times
Yuck, I do not think I would be inviting that gentleman to my place any time, ever.

Hep-A and other nasties would be a real concern for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or