U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:15 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times

Advertisements

Some of you guys must have a hard time when it comes to procreation where actual exchanging body fluids is usually the case .. germs running rampant..

Old 04-15-2018, 04:14 AM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Fine. I'm 100 percent sure he did not wash his hands after using the bathroom. You know how i know? Because my apartment is a studio apartment. There is nothing blocking anything. Thus when he uses the bathroom, he doesn't even close the door. So i could even sort of see him from his back peeing. Then after he is done, he flushes the toilet and then just comes back pretty quickly. My apartment is a very small studio apartment. If he did turn on the sink water, i would have heard it because i would have heard it. He done this few times already before this. Also when im at his apartment and he has to go to bathroom to pee, i know 100 percent he doesn't wash his hands. You know how? Because sometimes im chatting with him right at his door inside the apartment and then he goes to bathroom... does not shut door so i could sort of see a little of him. Many times he would say keep talking im listening when hes heading to the bathroom. Thus after he is done, he doesn't wash his hands because im sort of standing right there. Few times i actually just was right there just to see if he does wash his hand or not and he never done it.

Does this make a difference? Its 100% he never washed his hand every time whether im at his apartment or he is at my apartment. There is zero doubt because i seen and hear it.

No i dont have a dishwasher.
You did not go into detail in your opening statement; sorry!

Twenty years ago my wife and I were heavy smokers and we gave up. After we gave up we found out that we could not stand to be around our best friends for two reasons: One they kept offering us cigarettes and two they smelled bad to us. We never really understood how bad we smelled until we finally gave up smoking. The reason I mention this is because several of our friends were no longer invited to our house; we found new friends to replace them that did not smoke. If this man is offensive to you; don't invite him again.

That said, if you like him for other reasons, tell him the truth. Tell him that his bathroom habits really bother you; so much so that you do not want him to visit again. If he is offended; then he will not visit again. If he feels bad that he offended you; maybe he will ask for another chance and change his evil ways? You could even enlist the help of a friend to tell him if you don't want to approach him yourself.

Since you do not have a dishwasher, like others have stated, use hot water and you could use a little Clorox in the water. Besides your pitcher; use the Clorox wipes on everything he touched.

But, more importantly, you have to get a proactive plan to deal with the germs you are exposed to regularly. This guy is not the only person you meet that does not wash their hands; there are many more out there. Get in the habit of washing your hands frequently and avoid touching your face until you wash. Place hand sanitizers around your apartment and carry a small one in your purse. Be realistic, protect yourself, but don't turn into another Howard Hughes.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:48 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I have found older people don't seem to understand the importance of hand washing. I guess if they are old and in good health, they probably have a good immune system. However if someone asked to use my bathroom and it was obvious they didn't wash their hands I would also be scrubbing down the water picture and spraying Lysol on anything he touched.

My granddaughter is 9 years old and already knows to thoroughly wash her hands in a public restroom, turn the water off with a paper towel or her elbow if they have one of those horrible hand dryers and she opens the door with something other than her hands. I think we are much more conscious of germs than elderly people.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have found older people don't seem to understand the importance of hand washing. I guess if they are old and in good health, they probably have a good immune system. However if someone asked to use my bathroom and it was obvious they didn't wash their hands I would also be scrubbing down the water picture and spraying Lysol on anything he touched.

My granddaughter is 9 years old and already knows to thoroughly wash her hands in a public restroom, turn the water off with a paper towel or her elbow if they have one of those horrible hand dryers and she opens the door with something other than her hands. I think we are much more conscious of germs than elderly people.
Really? Elderly people aren't conscious of germs? How do you think we got to be elderly?

I'm much like your 9 year old granddaughter - paper towels and elbows and all that - except I'm 82. And that definitely qualifies as elderly.

Would I wash the water pitcher? Certainly. No need for bleach or Lysol or ammonia. Soap and hot water will do the job.

There is good hygiene and then there is obsessing. The OP admits he has OCD. Try as we might, we can't talk him out of that.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:52 AM

13,131 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Really? Elderly people aren't conscious of germs? How do you think we got to be elderly?

I'm much like your 9 year old granddaughter - paper towels and elbows and all that - except I'm 82. And that definitely qualifies as elderly.

Would I wash the water pitcher? Certainly. No need for bleach or Lysol or ammonia. Soap and hot water will do the job.

There is good hygiene and then there is obsessing. The OP admits he has OCD. Try as we might, we can't talk him out of that.
I think what bothered me the most was this flu season. Years ago we only worried about the sneezing, wheezing, runny nosed people and not the healthy ones. Thanks to new studies we are now told that people can spread the flu simply by breathing - while appearing healthy! Now many people can suffer from OCD!

It still boils down to protecting yourself. Fear is good if it translates into action. To fear, without action, is to obsess.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:08 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hey all got a question. I have a neighbor in my building who recently came by my apartment. He's a much older retired guy thats a bit out there so to speak. He has lot of health issues he mentioned like his knees and a lot of other issues. Like headaches etc.

When he came over, he went to my bathroom and used the toilet. He did this few times. I have no issue with this but i'm pretty certain he did not wash his hands. Okay to many people that would be a big deal and to me it was but i didn't say anything to him.

The issue though is he had asked for some water and i just poured some cold water into a small plastic cup like 8 ounces to him because i didn't have any water bottles at the moment. Well after he came back from the bathroom, he went and grabbed the water pitcher with lid that i use to pour water into the plastic cup himself. Normally i would not have any issue with it. But here... he did this right after he came out of the bathroom and i'm close to 100% he did not wash his hands. Thus he touched his junk and then came by and then touched the water pitcher and poured the water himself into it. I had saw the bathroom door was open and thus there was no water sound. Also i have been at his apartment few times and when he goes to the bathroom and then comes out, i never hear any water so he doesn't wash his hands. Usually im chatting with him in his apartment and then he goes to take a leak and then comes out but does not wash his hands. That is 100%.

The thing is not that long ago i became a huge germaphobe. Thus anything with germs, i want to be very careful. Back then i was like this too but not this extreme. But because i use the water pitcher to pour water into my glass bottle everyday, do i have to make sure i disinfect this with hot water and dish washing liquid? I was upset that he went straight for the water pitcher himself and poured water into the cup himself because he did not wash his hands. the thing is because it has a lid on, he was touching the lid and moving it around and even took out the lid before pouring the water. Thus it was him going to restroom, then touch his junk, don't wash hands, then touch the entire water pitcher area.

Now is it foolish of me to buy a brand new water pitcher because of this? The thing is i can't get the picture out of my mind that he went to bathroom, touched his junk... then say 10 seconds later get the water pitcher and poured the water himself. Now say he poured water from a 1 liter bottle that was already opened into the small cup. I would have no issue with this since his hands didn't touch the area where the water is touched etc. And thus he touched the entire lid area. He even took it out and touched it and moved it around before putting it back in and then pouring the water.

Because i am not sure if he have any diseases but i know he has tons of health issues. He also takes medication for many things as well. And he has issues like heart problems and i dont even know if he has any other diseases.

Im very ocd about these things. And im very upset because if i had say a few water bottles in my apartment, well i give him 1 of those and thus he wouldn't have touched my water pitcher. The issue here is he touched it right after he went to restroom and touched his junk.

How many people here would be bothered by this and wouldn't want to even use the water pitcher anymore? Now if you ask me this a long time ago on this, i would dislike it but wash it off and don't think about it. But for me, this really bothers me. Thoughts/input? What would i need to disinfect it 100% The thing is even after its disinfected, its the thought that he had touched his junk and then touched basically the entire circle of the water pitcher and also the entire lid area.
Firstly. Why would you continue to invite someone to your apartment, or visit them in theirs, that you feel this disgusted by? Secondly....Why not simply wash the pitcher and lid. And don't forget to wipe off the toilet handle, and door handles.

If I was as you describe yourself....I would simply not entertain others in my home after I identified their bad habits. You can always ask him to go for a walk, or simply talk to him outside. Why torture yourself.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM

17,976 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Sounds like the OP is a nice person who probably doesn't want to hurt this guy's feelings. He helps the guy with things and they live very close to each other. But OP, if you want to preserve the friendship and feel at ease about hygiene at the same time, you need to plan ahead.

Maybe make a joke out of it or a game. Get some hand sanitizer and next time he comes out of your bathroom, say, "Whoa!" Then tell him to hold his hands out. You spray the stuff onto his hands and give him a paper towel. Then say something funny--(I don't know what.) Just some little joke about how this is your new rule for everyone. Tell him you use the spray stuff too, it's not just him. New safety measure.

In fact, I think I would get several bottles of hand sanitizer and let him see you using it. You use it in the kitchen where he can see you, in the bathroom. Model the behavior for him. Maybe he'll get the point. From then on, you can feel free to ask if he remembered to use the magic juice (or whatever.) Just try to be lighthearted about it so he doesn't feel like a criminal for not washing his hands.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:36 AM

84,959 posts, read 98,776,620 times
I honestly don't see the point in hand sanitizer in a bathroom, where soap and water are avaiable. Ditto kitchen. Maybe on the coffee table.

"New safety rule" is a good idea though.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM

18,765 posts, read 6,129,215 times
There are some things we need to overlook in life. This germ issue, good grief.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 PM

1,246 posts, read 542,118 times
OP, in all your descriptions, your OCD is a bigger threat to your wellbeing than any germs this guy may be distributing in your apartment.

In your initial post alone, you repeat his transgressions several times. And then in subsequent posts, you do so again and add to them. It's like it takes 3000 words when 30 will do.

The obsessing in this thread and others you have started about properly sterilizing items or replacing them is your anxiety at work more so than any of this guy's questionable habits.

Restrict your contact with him in your home. You can meet him outside.

But I would suggest you get some help with your OCD. This repetitive worry and obsessing over how you can't stop seeing him "touching his junk and then touching your stuff" is far more detrimental to your peace of mind than the entire army of germs that marches through all of our lives every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or