U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:01 AM

135 posts, read 36,216 times

Advertisements

Hey all got a question. I have a neighbor in my building who recently came by my apartment. He's a much older retired guy thats a bit out there so to speak. He has lot of health issues he mentioned like his knees and a lot of other issues. Like headaches etc.

When he came over, he went to my bathroom and used the toilet. He did this few times. I have no issue with this but i'm pretty certain he did not wash his hands. Okay to many people that would be a big deal and to me it was but i didn't say anything to him.

The issue though is he had asked for some water and i just poured some cold water into a small plastic cup like 8 ounces to him because i didn't have any water bottles at the moment. Well after he came back from the bathroom, he went and grabbed the water pitcher with lid that i use to pour water into the plastic cup himself. Normally i would not have any issue with it. But here... he did this right after he came out of the bathroom and i'm close to 100% he did not wash his hands. Thus he touched his junk and then came by and then touched the water pitcher and poured the water himself into it. I had saw the bathroom door was open and thus there was no water sound. Also i have been at his apartment few times and when he goes to the bathroom and then comes out, i never hear any water so he doesn't wash his hands. Usually im chatting with him in his apartment and then he goes to take a leak and then comes out but does not wash his hands. That is 100%.

The thing is not that long ago i became a huge germaphobe. Thus anything with germs, i want to be very careful. Back then i was like this too but not this extreme. But because i use the water pitcher to pour water into my glass bottle everyday, do i have to make sure i disinfect this with hot water and dish washing liquid? I was upset that he went straight for the water pitcher himself and poured water into the cup himself because he did not wash his hands. the thing is because it has a lid on, he was touching the lid and moving it around and even took out the lid before pouring the water. Thus it was him going to restroom, then touch his junk, don't wash hands, then touch the entire water pitcher area.

Now is it foolish of me to buy a brand new water pitcher because of this? The thing is i can't get the picture out of my mind that he went to bathroom, touched his junk... then say 10 seconds later get the water pitcher and poured the water himself. Now say he poured water from a 1 liter bottle that was already opened into the small cup. I would have no issue with this since his hands didn't touch the area where the water is touched etc. And thus he touched the entire lid area. He even took it out and touched it and moved it around before putting it back in and then pouring the water.

Because i am not sure if he have any diseases but i know he has tons of health issues. He also takes medication for many things as well. And he has issues like heart problems and i dont even know if he has any other diseases.

Im very ocd about these things. And im very upset because if i had say a few water bottles in my apartment, well i give him 1 of those and thus he wouldn't have touched my water pitcher. The issue here is he touched it right after he went to restroom and touched his junk.

How many people here would be bothered by this and wouldn't want to even use the water pitcher anymore? Now if you ask me this a long time ago on this, i would dislike it but wash it off and don't think about it. But for me, this really bothers me. Thoughts/input? What would i need to disinfect it 100% The thing is even after its disinfected, its the thought that he had touched his junk and then touched basically the entire circle of the water pitcher and also the entire lid area.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:04 AM

I like to also mention that the lid in this water pitcher is where you have to hold on to it when you pour water into a glass or cup. And that is my main issue here. Because say you just grab the handle and pour the water like that without touching anything except the handle, obviously i would not be bothered at all. But its the lid and container area thats touched thats bothering me.

Thoughts/input on this? The thing that frustrates me is because im very ocd, now i have to make sure i fix this situation first before anything else.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 AM

32,554 posts, read 37,788,557 times
What deseases are you coming down with as a result of your neighbor not washing his hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmMNdiCz_s

Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 AM

Hi there. Well this just happened earlier tonight. The thing is does anyone here have no issues if someone takes a pee and touches his junk and does not wash his hanads and then say uses his hands/fingers and touch your cup or utensils right afterwards?

Well its just the thought of it where everytime i pour water from the water pitcher to my glass cup, i get the thought of it now.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:59 AM

32,554 posts, read 37,788,557 times
Not sure about your friend but most people shower and bathe every day and are not so infested with germs that a mere trip to the bathroom is cause for concern.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:08 AM

83,532 posts, read 96,584,649 times
Wash the pitcher with as hot of water possible and soap, preferably dishwasher detergent or similar. No need to replace.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:56 AM

Hey there. Well the thing is this guy is not very clean. Also when he had came to my apartment, he had smoked a cigar as well. At first i said no issue, but then afterwards my apartment had a very strong cigar smell and i had to go out to get some air freshener etc.

Again the issue here is he touched the water pitcher... the lid area and even pulled it out from the pitcher and touched the surroundings of it before putting it right back in and basically touching the entire surrounding edges. That was when i realized, he did this right after going to the bathroom and touching his junk and did not wash his hands. But who here wouldn't think much about this and hot water and soap would be enough. Again i can't get this thought out of my mind when im looking at that water pitcher now.

I was upset he basically just went and grabbed the pitcher and then did that before he didnt wash his hands right afterwards.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 AM

11,024 posts, read 2,108,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hey there. Well the thing is this guy is not very clean. Also when he had came to my apartment, he had smoked a cigar as well. At first i said no issue, but then afterwards my apartment had a very strong cigar smell and i had to go out to get some air freshener etc.

Again the issue here is he touched the water pitcher... the lid area and even pulled it out from the pitcher and touched the surroundings of it before putting it right back in and basically touching the entire surrounding edges. That was when i realized, he did this right after going to the bathroom and touching his junk and did not wash his hands. But who here wouldn't think much about this and hot water and soap would be enough. Again i can't get this thought out of my mind when im looking at that water pitcher now.

I was upset he basically just went and grabbed the pitcher and then did that before he didnt wash his hands right afterwards.

Once I took Microbiology, I became very conscious too about others and their habits and mine....ie always clean the grocery cart handle first before using...

I disagree with others who tell you it's no big deal...but no need to buy new pitcher. Hot water and soap would do it or you could add a touch of bleach to the cleaning....

Next time just ask the person to wash their hands...that is THE single action that prevents most transfer of germs.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 4,991,415 times
I'm more concerned about the handling of our money than what's in the bathroom.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 4,991,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post

Maybe just NOT be around when he wants to visit. You don't have to open your door if he brings you that much distress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or