U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2018, 10:23 AM
 
2,480 posts, read 1,298,245 times
Reputation: 2815

Advertisements

This particular issue is stemming from an injury in October. I have had two other knee surgeries and went years without (much) pain until then. At that time we tried cortisone shots and PT and the typical OTC stuff. It was fine-ish (pain but not severe) until I re-injured it in February on vacation. When I got back in Feb I went back to my ortho to figure out next steps. Started back with PT but that aggravated the knee more than fixing it so we threw the towel in there after 4 weeks. We also tried another injection which failed and made it worse not better. Then started trying the slew of meds and alternatives listed above. Ice does help, heat does not, but as a mom with a full time job I can’t just sit with ice 24/7 unfortunately. Used a tens unit as part of pt and it was maybe helpful? Hard to say as it’s all just been so irritated.

The work situation is complicated but it involves a project that I am the lead on going up May 1st and we can’t get someone up to speed on it fast enough. My boss is trying to empathize but also said frankly it can’t happen until 3 weeks after the project goes up. I’m absolutely frustrated here but also understand and postponing the project for an elective surgery is not an option.

I don’t have a rheumatologist yet but maybe I need one. I thought you only needed that for RA or widespread OA not isolated. Mine is from years of playing sports and isolated to the knees so far.

Tramadol interferes with another medication I take to the extent they won’t prescribe it. I did ask about stopping the other med and starting tramadol so they were going to ask about that (with permission from my other dr, of course).

I totally get not wanting to prescribe opioids and honestly I don’t want to take them but I also need to find something that lets me function and get through these next 5 weeks. I have hired help around the house to minimize cleaning and childcare to an extent but there’s still things that have to get done and most importantly I need to be able to function at work.

As for driving - I timed the Tylenol 3 it so that I took one when I got to work before my 8-10 hour day, then one when I got home and one when the pain woke me up. It seemed to help take the edge off but not totally which is fine.

Sorry for the long post, hope I addressed everything y’all recommended. I will definitely ask about diclofenac but as I understand it meloxicam and prednisone are stronger right? Either way it can’t hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2018, 10:53 AM
 
18,845 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Reputation: 12694
OP: I know you've talked about this issue before and I deal with a pretty damaged knee but I do a lot of supplements and for ME, I'm not planning on knee surgery as I can manage it at close to 80.

I take 3 major supps now that is keeping me in better shape for the knee inflammation and helping with cartilage. And have been taking higher doses of MSM powder for years for help reduce pain. I know this is not the Alternative group but I'm putting in my 2cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 10:55 AM
 
4,752 posts, read 2,180,671 times
Reputation: 4335
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
This particular issue is stemming from an injury in October. I have had two other knee surgeries and went years without (much) pain until then. At that time we tried cortisone shots and PT and the typical OTC stuff. It was fine-ish (pain but not severe) until I re-injured it in February on vacation. When I got back in Feb I went back to my ortho to figure out next steps. Started back with PT but that aggravated the knee more than fixing it so we threw the towel in there after 4 weeks. We also tried another injection which failed and made it worse not better. Then started trying the slew of meds and alternatives listed above. Ice does help, heat does not, but as a mom with a full time job I canít just sit with ice 24/7 unfortunately. Used a tens unit as part of pt and it was maybe helpful? Hard to say as itís all just been so irritated.

The work situation is complicated but it involves a project that I am the lead on going up May 1st and we canít get someone up to speed on it fast enough. My boss is trying to empathize but also said frankly it canít happen until 3 weeks after the project goes up. Iím absolutely frustrated here but also understand and postponing the project for an elective surgery is not an option.

I donít have a rheumatologist yet but maybe I need one. I thought you only needed that for RA or widespread OA not isolated. Mine is from years of playing sports and isolated to the knees so far.

Tramadol interferes with another medication I take to the extent they wonít prescribe it. I did ask about stopping the other med and starting tramadol so they were going to ask about that (with permission from my other dr, of course).

I totally get not wanting to prescribe opioids and honestly I donít want to take them but I also need to find something that lets me function and get through these next 5 weeks. I have hired help around the house to minimize cleaning and childcare to an extent but thereís still things that have to get done and most importantly I need to be able to function at work.

As for driving - I timed the Tylenol 3 it so that I took one when I got to work before my 8-10 hour day, then one when I got home and one when the pain woke me up. It seemed to help take the edge off but not totally which is fine.

Sorry for the long post, hope I addressed everything yíall recommended. I will definitely ask about diclofenac but as I understand it meloxicam and prednisone are stronger right? Either way it canít hurt to ask.
Have you given the knee a chance to settle down from the February injury? If you haven't, that's why you are looking at drugs and surgery as a solution. There are options that will help to settle down the injury. If you are sitting during work, raise your thigh so that your foot is not on the floor. Allowing the leg below the knee to stretch out and relax helps. If you are on your feet for 8-10 hours a day, put the weight on the stronger leg. If you are sleeping, wear a knee brace and put a pillow between your knees. Do you have a knee brace to prevent your knee from going out of alignment? An aggravated knee injury requires time to reduce swelling and allow the joint to heal. Surgery will not restore your knee to its original condition, and should be a last resort. Have you done your part to heal, or are you doing what you usually do and using drugs to block your perception of pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:00 AM
 
18,845 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Reputation: 12694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Have you given the knee a chance to settle down from the February injury? If you haven't, that's why you are looking at drugs and surgery as a solution. There are options that will help to settle down the injury. If you are sitting during work, raise your thigh so that your foot is not on the floor. Allowing the leg below the knee to stretch out and relax helps. If you are on your feet for 8-10 hours a day, put the weight on the stronger leg. If you are sleeping, wear a knee brace and put a pillow between your knees. Do you have a knee brace to prevent your knee from going out of alignment? An aggravated knee injury requires time to reduce swelling and allow the joint to heal. Surgery will not restore your knee to its original condition, and should be a last resort. Have you done your part to heal, or are you doing what you usually do and using drugs to block your perception of pain?
I agree about "settle down" and I do wear supports during the day and some often wear a support on the knees during sleep. I was so ready to go to surgery a few months ago and with what I'm doing, it's not in my mind now. I know we are ALL different and I think you are pretty young too. As I said I have 3 new supps for my knee issue and I'm committed to them as I don't want to go to surgery...and so far these 3 are helping me. Often it takes a combination to help us with inflammation etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:02 AM
 
2,480 posts, read 1,298,245 times
Reputation: 2815
Totally been resting and I work a desk job where I ice it 3-4 times during the day. Haven’t been working out or even waking the dog more than 1/2 mile since then because of the pain. Stayed off it entirely for weeks. But the structural damage is such that resting won’t fix it as it won’t line up corr Carly and the lateral releas bought me 11 years. My knees are genetically not align ed properly and years of running marathons and playing every other sport didn’t help. I can’t even do my yoga classes at the moment which is what I had resorted to to spare the knee. I have had complications from both of the last surgeries so trust me that this is my last option. I would never, ever recommend surgery unless you have tried everything else.

Jamin do you do turmeric, garlic, fish oil and glucosamine? Or something else? I have tried this supplement that has those in it and some other stuff I think (not st home right now) which I guess helps a little, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:08 AM
 
18,845 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Reputation: 12694
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Totally been resting and I work a desk job where I ice it 3-4 times during the day. Haven’t been working out or even waking the dog more than 1/2 mile since then because of the pain. Stayed off it entirely for weeks. But the structural damage is such that resting won’t fix it as it won’t line up corr Carly and the lateral releas bought me 11 years. My knees are genetically not align ed properly and years of running marathons and playing every other sport didn’t help. I can’t even do my yoga classes at the moment which is what I had resorted to to spare the knee. I have had complications from both of the last surgeries so trust me that this is my last option. I would never, ever recommend surgery unless you have tried everything else.

Jamin do you do turmeric, garlic, fish oil and glucosamine? Or something else? I have tried this supplement that has those in it and some other stuff I think (not st home right now) which I guess helps a little, maybe.
Yes, on the supps and do you want a DM on exactly what I do. I'm told we are not supposed to discuss alt medicine here. I've done stuff off and on but am now totally committed to what I'm doing and the quality products I take. It takes wake up calls and I've had them and so fear surgery. And your issues are different than mine, they have to be...but can they be saved, I have no idea. Maybe the younger a person is with the surgeries, the better the outcomes..I'm OLDer...and healing is a lot lot tougher.

I just posted what I DO in the Supplement area.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-14-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 AM
 
27,513 posts, read 44,973,761 times
Reputation: 14062
FWIW
50% of doctors rank in the bottom half of their medical school
They don't put class rank on their diplomas displayed in offices

There are doctors that deal in pain management
There are doctors that are just incompetent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:21 AM
 
2,480 posts, read 1,298,245 times
Reputation: 2815
Jamin yes please! I’ll try anything at this point as my past suggests! Just need to get to the date to get it fixed for good so anything that may help in the meantime I’m willing to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 11:31 AM
 
18,845 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Reputation: 12694
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Jamin yes please! Iíll try anything at this point as my past suggests! Just need to get to the date to get it fixed for good so anything that may help in the meantime Iím willing to try.
Read the new Supplement post I just posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2018, 12:21 PM
 
18,845 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Reputation: 12694
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Jamin yes please! I’ll try anything at this point as my past suggests! Just need to get to the date to get it fixed for good so anything that may help in the meantime I’m willing to try.
Anna, you say you are so close to a surgery, how about just higher doses of ibuprofen or motrin until that time. I don't see how the supps with help that much if you are close to a surgery anyway. I'm not a drug advocate but while in the rehabs I was taking 3 ibuprofen every 6 hrs...these worked better for me than the opioids and now that I'm much better with my supps I take 2 ibuprofen every 6 hrs. I'd love to NOT take any but with bodywide OA it's here to stay. Always make sure you take the Nsaids with foods... But the higher dosing of MSM could help regardless. And I don't think it's a blood thinner, but not sure.

You will have to be off Nsaids at least a week before any surgery. So I'm sure you'll talk to your doctor about what you can't take at least a week before your surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top