U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:14 PM
Status: "Inhale the future, exhale the past." (set 28 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
2,969 posts, read 3,546,362 times

Advertisements

I would report this whole incident on your survey but in a way that is not bit**y, ie describe it without using angry words. It needs to be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 03:15 AM

3,880 posts, read 2,902,139 times
She asked you whether you knew your weight - she didn't tell the room your weight. It'd be a big stretch to make this into a HIPAA issue.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:25 AM

4,622 posts, read 1,461,171 times
HIPAA laws allow the medical office to share your information electronically with whatever government agency asks. It doesn't protect your privacy but instead is a legal document in which you allow them to collect and share your information.

Read the documents thoroughly before you sign. Or -- don't sign them, and see the reaction from office staff.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:26 AM

3,270 posts, read 3,197,345 times
Believe me, the doctor will NEVER see the survey result! Maybe the office manager.

Yes, put in there that the nurse (probably a medical assistant) should not start asking questions of patients until they're back in the nursing check-in area, since some questions may be of a personal nature.

And then don't worry about it anymore.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 460,905 times
If your not overweight then why would it bother you if she asked you your weight?
I get asked and put it out there with no issues. Maybe it'll give those that are overweight some incentive to change their eating habits.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,237,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
If your not overweight then why would it bother you if she asked you your weight?
For the same reason this bothered me:

I was in the teller line at a bank. The manager wanted to make the line shorter by cherry-picking customers out of the line, so he literally bellowed across the bank at me: "What do you need?"

I was shocked. I told him, in a lower tone of voice, that I was not there to discuss my banking business with everyone in the room.

There's no reason why my bank errand or MaryLee's weight needed to be discussed in public. None.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 481,485 times
What is just as bad is when a hotel clerk tells the customer in front of you the directions to her room. She doesn't say the room # like she is not supposed to but she then says "you're on the second floor turn right and you're four doors down on the right"! Seriously, she did this not only to the woman in front of us who appeared to be alone and to us, in a loud voice. <sigh>

Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
For the same reason this bothered me:

I was in the teller line at a bank. The manager wanted to make the line shorter by cherry-picking customers out of the line, so he literally bellowed across the bank at me: "What do you need?"

I was shocked. I told him, in a lower tone of voice, that I was not there to discuss my banking business with everyone in the room.

There's no reason why my bank errand or MaryLee's weight needed to be discussed in public. None.
There is no such thing as decorum (dignified propriety of behavior, speech, dress, etc.) in today's society, now "run" by those younger than the "Baby Boom" generation.

Disclaimer: This does not apply to 100% of those mentioned above, as nothing is 100% in life.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
What is just as bad is when a hotel clerk tells the customer in front of you the directions to her room. She doesn't say the room # like she is not supposed to but she then says "you're on the second floor turn right and you're four doors down on the right"! Seriously, she did this not only to the woman in front of us who appeared to be alone and to us, in a loud voice. <sigh>
And common sense, and attention to detail, no longer exist in the generations younger than the BB's either.

Disclaimer: This does not apply to 100% of those mentioned above, as nothing is 100% in life.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM

2,858 posts, read 1,130,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
HIPAA laws allow the medical office to share your information electronically with whatever government agency asks. It doesn't protect your privacy but instead is a legal document in which you allow them to collect and share your information.

Read the documents thoroughly before you sign. Or -- don't sign them, and see the reaction from office staff.
You should review HIPAA again. Even among covered government agencies, information can’t just be shared willy nilly. Covered entities can share information for the purpose of treating an individual and usually a release is still signed to get that information. Some government agencies are not covered by the law.

Asking someone’s weight is not related to HIPAA. No protected health information was shared. If nurse Jane came or and said “your record had you at 217 pounds the last visit, is that still accurate” then that would be a violation. As would anything else that revealed health information about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness