U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Freakville
501 posts, read 361,359 times
Reputation: 528

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
HIPAA laws allow the medical office to share your information electronically with whatever government agency asks. It doesn't protect your privacy but instead is a legal document in which you allow them to collect and share your information.

Read the documents thoroughly before you sign. Or -- don't sign them, and see the reaction from office staff.
No it doesn’t.
Take the tin foil off your head.
The NPP (Notice if Privacy Practices) you sign is simply a notice. It’s not an authorization of anything.

Reaction from the office staff? Hahaha...that’s cute.
The reaction will be simple.
They’ll document your refusal to sign and go about their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 01:10 PM
 
4,668 posts, read 1,472,862 times
Reputation: 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
No it doesn’t.
Take the tin foil off your head.
The NPP (Notice if Privacy Practices) you sign is simply a notice. It’s not an authorization of anything.

Reaction from the office staff? Hahaha...that’s cute.
The reaction will be simple.
They’ll document your refusal to sign and go about their business.
next time you are asked to sign one say no and see what happens.

And, yes my explanation is correct. It ALLOWS the electronic sharing of your information.

Why else would you need to sign anything? If HIPAA states that medical offices keep info private, why do they need your signature? They wouldn't. The law would be the law, and nothing would be shared unless YOU asked for it to be shared.

So you sign the RELEASE so they can share information electronically.

Tin foil hat? Nah. Common sense and understanding? Yep. Try it instead of insults, you might just learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 PM
 
Location: on the wind
3,765 posts, read 1,402,433 times
Reputation: 13642
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
next time you are asked to sign one say no and see what happens.

And, yes my explanation is correct. It ALLOWS the electronic sharing of your information.

Why else would you need to sign anything? If HIPAA states that medical offices keep info private, why do they need your signature? They wouldn't. The law would be the law, and nothing would be shared unless YOU asked for it to be shared.

So you sign the RELEASE so they can share information electronically.

Tin foil hat? Nah. Common sense and understanding? Yep. Try it instead of insults, you might just learn something.
I seem to remember that all the HIPAA-related forms I've been given included two separate sections asking for signatures:

The first section's signature documented that I had been notified that my information MAY need to be shared with someone outside that specific provider's office.

The second section's signature documented my permission to share it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-16-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Over yonder a piece
3,737 posts, read 4,238,383 times
Reputation: 5946
Having worked in healthcare for almost a decade, I can tell you that no, she did not violate HIPAA, even if she did say your full name. She did not divulge anything from your medical records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 PM
 
4,668 posts, read 1,472,862 times
Reputation: 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I seem to remember that all the HIPPA-related forms I've been given included two separate sections asking for signatures:

The first section's signature documented that I had been notified that my information MAY need to be shared with someone outside that specific provider's office.

The second section's signature gave my permission to do so.
Exactly.

HIPAA is a program that allows information sharing. Electronically only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,231 posts, read 25,741,153 times
Reputation: 26051
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Exactly.

HIPAA is a program that allows information sharing. Electronically only.
Wrong.

https://www.privacyrights.org/consum...fication-rules

"d. Does HIPAA apply to the data in an EHR?

Yes. The fact that a patient’s data is electronic does not reduce a covered entity’s obligations under HIPAA. In fact, the HIPAA Security Rule only applies to electronic data. By contrast, the HIPAA Privacy Rule applies to data in any format, including paper and electronic records, even oral communications that may or may not have been reduced to paper or electronic format.

The security features of HIPAA only pertain to electronic data.

The privacy features apply to all of your health data, no matter what format is used to store it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM
 
4,668 posts, read 1,472,862 times
Reputation: 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Wrong.

https://www.privacyrights.org/consum...fication-rules

"d. Does HIPAA apply to the data in an EHR?

Yes. The fact that a patient’s data is electronic does not reduce a covered entity’s obligations under HIPAA. In fact, the HIPAA Security Rule only applies to electronic data. By contrast, the HIPAA Privacy Rule applies to data in any format, including paper and electronic records, even oral communications that may or may not have been reduced to paper or electronic format.

The security features of HIPAA only pertain to electronic data.

The privacy features apply to all of your health data, no matter what format is used to store it.
How do they share information? Carrier pigeon?? Smoke signals?? Good gawd.

HIPAA is about sharing your information, not keeping it private. That's why you sign the release.

If they were keeping it private and not sharing it you wouldn't need to sign anything.

HIPAA = sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Billings, MT
8,834 posts, read 6,956,609 times
Reputation: 12250
There seems to be two quite different acronyms in use here.
One (HIPAA) has been defined; the other hasn't.
What does HIPPA mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,231 posts, read 25,741,153 times
Reputation: 26051
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How do they share information? Carrier pigeon?? Smoke signals?? Good gawd.

HIPAA is about sharing your information, not keeping it private. That's why you sign the release.

If they were keeping it private and not sharing it you wouldn't need to sign anything.

HIPAA = sharing.
Perhaps you might want to read the link I gave previously.

Some doctors still use paper records. In order to share those records, they have to make paper copies. Those copies can be mailed or faxed. Faxing is considered electronic sharing. It is subject to both the security and privacy aspects of HIPAA.

The privacy of health information on paper is protected, too.

Do you even know what HIPAA stands for? It is the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act.

The portability part covers electronic sharing. The accountability aspect covers privacy. Signing a release lets you determine what you keep private and what you allow your doctor to share.

Privacy is at the heart of HIPAA.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profes...ons/index.html

"The Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information (“Privacy Rule”) establishes, for the first time, a set of national standards for the protection of certain health information. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (“HHS”) issued the Privacy Rule to implement the requirement of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”).1 The Privacy Rule standards address the use and disclosure of individuals’ health information—called “protected health information” by organizations subject to the Privacy Rule — called “covered entities,” as well as standards for individuals' privacy rights to understand and control how their health information is used."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,231 posts, read 25,741,153 times
Reputation: 26051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There seems to be two quite different acronyms in use here.
One (HIPAA) has been defined; the other hasn't.
What does HIPPA mean?

Every time I write HIPAA I have to think about it. It's easy to type HIPPA rather than HIPAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 PM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top