Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Every time I write HIPAA I have to think about it. It's easy to type HIPPA rather than HIPAA.
And sadly, neither of them have anything to do with aquatic vegetarians with big grins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
OP the nurse didn't ask your weight in front of others, she asked if YOU knew your weight, a nice simple yes/no kind of question. (I don't really keep up with my weight so I generally only have a general idea what it is. I always ask the nurse to tell me what it is on the rare occasions I wind up in a doctor's office.) This was not sharing or shaming, and it's an assumption on your part that she was trying to cut corners. Life is too short to look for offense where it's not intended.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonhb View Post
and sadly, neither of them have anything to do with aquatic vegetarians with big grins. :d
Weird. The software will not let me insert a big grin. It changes the uppercase D to a lowercase d.

:d

Old 04-16-2018, 03:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
She asked you whether you knew your weight - she didn't tell the room your weight. It'd be a big stretch to make this into a HIPAA issue.
Yes, but she was putting me in a position to answer in a public setting, how did she expect me to respond? She was standing several feet away, essentially shouting into the waiting area, also, acting annoyed that I walked slowly. she then turned around and huffed off so fast I couldn't keep up and didn't see which way she turned, so she flounced back acting annoyed and repeated we need to know your weight! loud enough for the whole room to hear!

I should have said if I guess correctly, do I win a Caribbean cruise?

Old 04-16-2018, 04:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
It is only a HIPAA violation if she announces your weight in front of other patients.

You should have just told her you'd write it down or whisper it to her.

Some healthcare professionals do attempt to fat shame patients. Sad reality of healthcare.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It is only a HIPAA violation if she announces your weight in front of other patients.

You should have just told her you'd write it down or whisper it to her.

Some healthcare professionals do attempt to fat shame patients. Sad reality of healthcare.
Like I said in my OP---I'm NOT fat!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
As a former HIPAA officer for a mental health clinic - the HIPAA Privacy Rule is intended to be scaleable: the practitioner (or agency) must take reasonable precautions to ensure all Protected Health Information (PHI) is kept confidential. Reasonable depends on the size of the organization. The steps a private practitioner takes will be less than those required of a larger organization like a hospital. A large hospital, for example, might have a full time HIPAA security officer - for a small agency, this will probably be a role taken on by one of the agency employees.

My CVS pharmacy has a sign asking people to stay behind it to protect the privacy of the person at the window. That's about all they can do given the physical layout of the pharmacy. If the pharmacist speaks loudly or the next person ignores the sign, the next person in line is going to hear him/her. HIPAA doesn't require the pharmacy to change its physical layout - employees are, however, required to receive training on HIPAA and how it affects their work. Not talking loudly in the context of my pharmacy would be an example of a best practice.

If it were me and I were asked that question, I would nicely ask her to please ask those sort of questions out of a public area. And I would certainly put it on the survey - you're not going to "upset" your doctor. The survey will most likely be reviewed by the office manager, who is likely the HIPAA officer for the office - they may need to review their procedures and employee training to reduce the likelihood of this happening again.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
HIPAA laws allow the medical office to share your information electronically with whatever government agency asks. It doesn't protect your privacy but instead is a legal document in which you allow them to collect and share your information.

Read the documents thoroughly before you sign. Or -- don't sign them, and see the reaction from office staff.
Wrong....on all counts

HIPAA is ABSOLUTELY about protecting patient privacy in regards to medical information.

It also does not allow sharing of medical information with "whatever government agency asks"

It also is not " a legal document which allows the medical office to collect information"....medical offices could ALWAYS "collect information"....that's kind of what medical offices do...

The HIPAA Privacy regulations require health care providers and organizations, as well as their business associates, to develop and follow procedures that ensure the confidentiality and security of protected health information (PHI) when it is transferred, received, handled, or shared. This applies to all forms of PHI, including paper, oral, and electronic, etc. Furthermore, only the minimum health information necessary to conduct business is to be used or shared.
What is HIPAA

Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
I would have said to the annoying nurse: "Hey. When was YOUR last pap smear?" in front of the other patients.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How do they share information? Carrier pigeon?? Smoke signals?? Good gawd.

HIPAA is about sharing your information, not keeping it private. That's why you sign the release.

If they were keeping it private and not sharing it you wouldn't need to sign anything.

HIPAA = sharing.
I sincerely hope you do not work in a healthcare field or any field in which you'd have access to personal health information because you've been corrected multiple times and keep making the same wrong statements.

Anyway, back to the OP - something doesn't have to be a HIPAA violation to be unprofessional and inappropriate. This behavior is absolutely something that should be brought to the attention of the practice.

And while you may personally be normal weight, as someone who is overweight, I can tell you that the nurse's behavior is rooted in fat shaming even if that wasn't directly applicable to you. I can just about guarantee that the reason she tried asking you and skipping the step of putting you on the scale is because you are thin, but a fat person would never be trusted to accurately report their weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness