U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 106 times

Advertisements

My mother is 87 years old and has crippling Knee Rheumatoid Arthritis and refuses to have surgery.
I read an article that an alternative option to surgery was stem cell knee therapy. However, Insurance companies will not cover the procedure which concerns me if this is legit. Does anyone out there have info whether this is legitimate procedure and if there are any side effects to be concerned about. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,027,742 times
I would do a consult with a doctor who does this. Based on my research it seems a bit new to know for sure but may be worth a shot if you can afford it. But I would consult a local
Socorro to review her case and determine if it’s worth trying.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 AM

13,670 posts, read 16,257,079 times
Sadly it may not be available unless she is accepted into a clinical trial. And her age may be an issue.

https://www.cellmedicine.com/stem-ce...oid-arthritis/

Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM

314 posts, read 146,347 times
I'm a PT and see folks with knee or hip pain all day long. If your mother has rheumatoid arthritis, surgery would not help. That's because RA is *not* the cartilage in her knee wearing out, but rather an inflammation of the tissues surrounding the joint. Surgery can help with osteoarthritis, which is deterioration of the cartilage in the joint.

As for stem cell treatment, the jury is still out. If she does have it, make sure it's done at a major teaching hospital as they are affiliated with medical schools. Stay away from doctors who claim miraculous recoveries; unfortunately, the general public is poorly equipped to assess scientific research papers, where the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of such treatments is discussed.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 4,349,114 times
O.P. I hear call in's to Dr. Darrow who deal with RA and ask if his work would help them and he's not high on it for RA. I have a post in Supplements on what I'm taking NOW to keep my knee and from surgery and Omega 3's higher dose seems to help more, turmeric too. There are PRP/Stem Cell workers across the U.S. and maybe get a consult, the O.V. is normally covered by insurance we carry including Medicare.

I don't believe this work is quackery, I had shoulder injections of original Prolotherapy about 10 yrs ago and got a good 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. I know it can WORK. It's regenerative medicine and CAN save many from invasive surgeries. Surgeries sure have their problems...I can testiment that. A quality provider uses ultrasound guidance to get the injections in the right areas. Even the original Prolo can give relief as I said above..and the doctor who did mine originally used an ultra sound machine. So he got the injections in the right places and he did 8 jabs (8 sites on shoulder).

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-16-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM

4,197 posts, read 9,999,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I'm a PT and see folks with knee or hip pain all day long. If your mother has rheumatoid arthritis, surgery would not help. That's because RA is *not* the cartilage in her knee wearing out, but rather an inflammation of the tissues surrounding the joint. Surgery can help with osteoarthritis, which is deterioration of the cartilage in the joint.

As for stem cell treatment, the jury is still out. If she does have it, make sure it's done at a major teaching hospital as they are affiliated with medical schools. Stay away from doctors who claim miraculous recoveries; unfortunately, the general public is poorly equipped to assess scientific research papers, where the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of such treatments is discussed.
Not sure where you practice but Total Knee Replacement is commonly done for patients with RA and often at much younger ages than patients with OA.

RA is systemic, does involve more synovitis and inflammation but it also absolutely results in complete loss of cartilage....often much more significant cartilage damage than in OA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or