Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
First, no I would not continue seeing a doctor who acted like that! Second, you’ve been on Xanax for years? Yes, you will be labeled as addicted to them! That’s the truth. My mom had a massive heart attack and was in the hospital. I had anxiety from it and my doctor wouldn’t give me anymore than 2 weeks worth of Xanax as they are highly addictive. Then my DH was in a horrific car accident, again no more than 10 days worth of Xanax. We have since moved to another state and I am having a breast biopsy done to rule out breast cancer. Waiting a total of 3 weeks god biopsy and results will be another week or two. Highly stressed and no they refused to give me any anti anxiety meds including Xanax!

Bottom line, doctors just done give them out like they used to due to addictions! You almost have to end up in the ER from a panic attack first!
I’m not addicted to them when a single bottle lasts me almost 6 months. I go weeks without taking any at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 PM

574 posts, read 382,241 times
You'd be surprised on how many medical professionals have serious personal problems, ranging from depression, domestic violence tendencies/severe anger issues etc. Heck, my father is a retired ER Physician, and he's had a few friends that were so burnt out and stressed that they overdosed on pills, or just put a gun to their heads and pulled the trigger. No one wants to think that the unsung heroes/guiders of the world have issues, but in the end they're all humans

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
You'd be surprised on how many medical professionals have serious personal problems, ranging from depression, domestic violence tendencies/severe anger issues etc. Heck, my father is a retired ER Physician, and he's had a few friends that were so burnt out and stressed that they overdosed on pills, or just put a gun to their heads and pulled the trigger. No one wants to think that the unsung heroes/guiders of the world have issues, but in the end they're all humans
Good comments and I've said here enough times doctors have to be stressed out trying to help so many sick people come to them for relief. So glad I'm my own doctor MOST of the time and worked so hard to learn what I have to keep myself healthy. But stuff happens and some of us find ourselves in the ER or MD's offices etc etc. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good comments and I've said here enough times doctors have to be stressed out trying to help so many sick people come to them for relief. So glad I'm my own doctor MOST of the time and worked so hard to learn what I have to keep myself healthy. But stuff happens and some of us find ourselves in the ER or MD's offices etc etc. Thanks.
My spouse was a paramedic for years, and he has seen a lot of bad stuff... crash victims burnt to a crisp, limbs ripped off, heads crushed, etc. I don’t know how he dealt with it all those years, but he shrugs it off. He even makes little jokes sometimes about it, but he says you have to sometimes to be able to deal with it.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in a small town and the rumor mill runs rampant here. Many people in my town are already saying they think he overdosed, and how all of his patients are “hooked on pain meds”. Supposedly, all of the pill heads in the area are “in a panic” over his death. I suspect the other doctors here think it too, even though they won’t admit it. I don’t know his exact age, but I think he was about 50.

The thing is, I have been prescribed Xanax since I was 18 years old for panic attacks, but I don’t abuse them, a 30 day supply usually lasts me about 4-5 months. I just don’t want the other docs thinking I’m a pill seeker when they see Xanax on my records. I don’t know, I guess I worry too much about that stuff.
Well and that’s another problem with small town. Everybody knows everybody’s business. Truthfully it’s rumors. People make up crap and say it as truth.
My main concern for a doctor with issues is if those issues are affecting the care they are providing to patients and I’m getting. That’s it. I had doctors I simply did not care for so 8 went to other doctors.

Doctors cops fire fighters etc are all held to a higher standard. It comes with the job. They are people and have the same problems average joe has. But people automatically dismiss it as they’re doctors they aren’t supposed to have problems. A degree and money doesn’t mean they aren’t human with human faults

Old 04-27-2018, 05:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Doctors are humans too with all the problems that go along with being human.

Some function well, some don't. If you are getting excellent care from a doctor with a "problem" that isn't too involved with procedures that require utter attention to detail, then I don't see a reason to switch doctors.

My GP is up on sexual assault charges from a druggie who says he hugged her and grabbed her butt, and touched her breast. I don't believe her for a moment. This one woman can ruin his reputation and life (and family). IMO, he is an amazing doctor.

Now that's not to say that IF a lot more women come forward with similar stories, then I would believe he is a creep.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Doctors are exposed to every illness known. Wouldn't you expect them to have MORE sick days than the average person. It is a difficult profession.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:02 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
As others have said, doctors are human with human problems, but that isn't restricted to them. They also have families. They could be on family leave; sick spouse, sick kids, sick parents, who knows. The practice staff shouldn't be blurting out that Dr So-and-so is away dealing with a family emergency.

One rumor or speculation is just that. Rumor or speculation. A sabbatical could be exactly that.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
And don't they have the ability to get their own drugs, or do other MD's need to write for them? Who has access to their sample cupboards?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And don't they have the ability to get their own drugs, or do other MD's need to write for them? Who has access to their sample cupboards?
Doctors can't write prescriptions for controlled substances for themselves or for their family members. Doctors also don't usually get samples of controlled substances anymore. One exception that I can think of is Lyrica, which was recently reclassified as a controlled substance - certain doctors, but not most, can get samples of Lyrica. The only doctors that can get samples of Lyrica and a few restricted medicines, have to keep detailed logs of use and they have to keep them locked up. No one can just waltz in and grab some pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness