Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:21 PM

17,504 posts, read 38,989,711 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all the newer responders here. Honestly, I am still mulling this over. I think I have begun to realize that he is perhaps borderline in becoming a little too friendly with his clients (not just me). And I am in a small city, where people travel in the same circles, so sometimes you just have mutual friends.

At this point I do NOT wish to cause him or his wife any trouble, but I think my eyes are opened to the situation, and I definitely feel I just can't trust him anymore. It is possible I will be able to see someone else in a related field who is about to open his own office soon. I seem to be doing much better physically these days, and the alternate therapy may be all I need. Maybe it was just time to move on, I am going to see how I do. Thanks again, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
Again, folks, the betrayal had nothing to do with HIPAA - it was a personal confidence about a project they were both working on outside the context of therapy, and that is NOT covered by HIPAA. see the description of PHI in my post.

Quote:
...he is someone I had come to trust, and have always confided things to him and he has done the same. He always assured me that nothing said would ever leave the therapy room.

Today I found out he pretty much "threw me under the bus" by repeating verbatim to a mutual friend some things that I had said in confidence that I was not happy about (concerning a project which we were involved in)...

Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,515,747 times
I wouldn't take this to a lawyer or HIPPA but I would certainly talk to him about this. If he's doing this to you, how many others is he doing this with? He has to learn that confidential information MEANS confidential!

If I were you, I'd go for my next appointment and when he comes in to treat you, ask him if he has a couple of minutes at the end of the session to talk.

After your treatment, tell him that you found out something that's very disappointing. That you found out he's been telling a person (or persons) what you have said to him that was meant to be between you and him, and HIM only. Let him figure out what to say to you about it.

If he's helping your physical pain so much, depending on what he says about the breach of trust should give you an answer whether you want to keep seeing him or not.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:23 PM

17,433 posts, read 13,206,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

At this point I do NOT wish to cause him or his wife any trouble, but I think my eyes are opened to the situation, and I definitely feel I just can't trust him anymore. It is possible I will be able to see someone else in a related field who is about to open his own office soon. I seem to be doing much better physically these days, and the alternate therapy may be all I need. Maybe it was just time to move on, I am going to see how I do. Thanks again, all.
If he did it to you, he has done it (or will do it) to others

I wouldn't worry about his wife and the scum puppy

Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,453,091 times
But isn't it a HIPAA violation If he simply even acknowledged that OP is a client of his? My HIPAA training always was firm that we can't say that someone is a patient or not, so regardless of the info divulged was confident medical info or not it would be a violation of privacy. Either way, the OP doesn't want to follow up and that's fine but at some point something shoukd be said to the therapist so he can understand what he did wrong.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:16 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
But isn't it a HIPAA violation If he simply even acknowledged that OP is a client of his? My HIPAA training always was firm that we can't say that someone is a patient or not, so regardless of the info divulged was confident medical info or not it would be a violation of privacy.
Yes - but the relationship between the client and the person the information was disclosed to was "mutual friend" so we don't know from the situation as described whether the therapist disclosed the professional relationship (HIPAA violation) or whether the conversation was revealing a confidence in the context of the project alone without reference to the OP's PHI (not a HIPAA violation). Those who are confused about all this stuff should note that HIPAA doesn't forbid a person revealing his/her own PHI to someone else - HIPAA's focus is on healthcare providers and third parties that support them keeping a client's PHI private.

Quote:
Either way, the OP doesn't want to follow up and that's fine but at some point something shoukd be said to the therapist so he can understand what he did wrong.
I agree - As I said, I would talk to the therapist if it were me, but that's an issue of pointing out the therapist's behavior as a professional, not a HIPAA violation.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Live and learn.

You have only yourself to blame. Why would you share confidences with your physical therapist. It makes no sense at all.

Imagine how your friend/co-worker he disclosed this to felt. And, I do believe this is a HIPAA violation. However, it is complicated by the fact that you also have mutual friends....seems you should have kept your thoughts to yourself knowing that.

So, if what he said has affected your trust in his therapy, than switch.

Otherwise, stop the informative talks, and keep it surface....like it should be.

Last edited by JanND; 04-29-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I wouldn't take this to a lawyer or HIPPA but I would certainly talk to him about this. If he's doing this to you, how many others is he doing this with? He has to learn that confidential information MEANS confidential!

If I were you, I'd go for my next appointment and when he comes in to treat you, ask him if he has a couple of minutes at the end of the session to talk.

After your treatment, tell him that you found out something that's very disappointing. That you found out he's been telling a person (or persons) what you have said to him that was meant to be between you and him, and HIM only. Let him figure out what to say to you about it.

If he's helping your physical pain so much, depending on what he says about the breach of trust should give you an answer whether you want to keep seeing him or not.
Yes, that was what I was thinking - he may have done this with others. At any rate I think I will do as you suggested, keep my next appointment and see what he has to say about it. Depending on that conversation, I will decide whether to terminate my sessions with him. I think the lines became blurred because of our mutual friend-in-common.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Live and learn.

You have only yourself to blame. Why would you share confidences with your physical therapist. It makes no sense at all.

Imagine how your friend/co-worker he disclosed this to felt. And, I do believe this is a HIPAA violation. However, it is complicated by the fact that you also have mutual friends....seems you should have kept your thoughts to yourself knowing that.

So, if what he said has affected your trust in his therapy, than switch.

Otherwise, stop the informative talks, and keep it surface....like it should be.
Thank you for your reply; however at this point I really don't need admonishment. I feel bad enough all around about what happened, and I did already say it was an eye-opener and I have learned my lesson. As far as "not making sense", well right from the start this person was very open and friendly and shared info about himself and his life and I guess that led me to feel more open and trusting. Never again, though.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 AM

9,351 posts, read 5,104,043 times
I would no longer patronize someone who broke a confidence. There are some things that are not negotiable. That said, I might ask him about it and see what he says. That'll tell you all you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness