U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2018, 09:51 PM
 
Location: South Florida
673 posts, read 1,075,819 times
Reputation: 2071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
At least I can ask some smart questions, like "Can I wear this smaller, flesh toned brace when we're going out to dinner?" and "Can I take the brace off when I'm trying to lay in the sun?" And "Can I drink Bloody Marys after you give me the cortisone shot?"
Wear the right brace at all times...but get a lovely wrist corsage to cover it. I've actually seen women put big bows on them but it's almost prom season so go with the corsage. I saw some at Publix the other day that were made of silk flowers and they used magnets, no pins.

Ask them if you can have the Bloody Mary BEFORE the cortisone shot, for "medicinal purposes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2018, 04:16 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,521 posts, read 6,717,968 times
Reputation: 13631
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG I have that clicking and popping going on. It's been driving me crazy and is especially pronounced in the morning when I wake up. And it hurts like heck then too. As soon as I told the doctor that, before the MRI and all that, he said, "I'm nearly certain you have a torn TFCC and it sounds like you may need surgery but let's just see what the MRI and arthrogram tell us first." Of course I said, "I'M GOING ON VACATION FIRST!" and that's when he said, "Wear this brace 24/7 and we'll probably do a cortisone shot when you come in to tide you over."

I do NOT want surgery. Well, really what I do not want is a freaking cast. Actually I don't want any of this. I'm so put out! But I'll find out more tomorrow. At least I can ask some smart questions, like "Can I wear this smaller, flesh toned brace when we're going out to dinner?" and "Can I take the brace off when I'm trying to lay in the sun?" And "Can I drink Bloody Marys after you give me the cortisone shot?"
Awww, Kathryn, you'll do what you gotta do ( as annoying as that might be) to protect your wrist and hopefully avoid aggrevating the injury while you're on vacation and waiting for the good news/bad news about how it needs to be treated, ie, physical therapy, bracing, surgery, all of the above ( hope not). If that means wearing a big honking black wrist brace to support it during vacation dinners, lying in the sun and so on, well.... it's still temporary. And I'd think Bloody Marys are good anytime- consider them pain management!

I know that pain has to be lousy, and hope you can keep it under control. But there's one thing to be said for it, that pain reminds you that your wrist is injured and you won't be tempted to overuse the wrist and aggrevate the injury when it hurts that much.

Well, I'm off in a few minutes for an endoscopy session ( both ends) at our local friendly surgery center, they're looking for a source of bleeding. Not looking forward to it but it will involve a nice nap for me, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 05:06 AM
 
4,870 posts, read 10,782,255 times
Reputation: 11280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Well, you're wrong. It is cartilage, but it is also ligamentous tissue as well. It's, as the person just posting above me stated, much like the meniscus. It receives minimal blood flow for the most part.

So yes, it is worthwhile to know the grade of the sprain.
Dude, I am the one that posted about the meniscus and YOU are most definitely wrong...

I take care of hand injuries every day, I know what the TFCC is, YOU clearly don't. The TFCC is a disc of cartilage, the OP already stated the DISC was torn

NOT a sprain....you don't SPRAIN the TFCC, and Tears of the TFCC aren't graded like sprains, they are described by their location such as central or peripheral and the size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
43,183 posts, read 34,620,377 times
Reputation: 60777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Dude, I am the one that posted about the meniscus and YOU are most definitely wrong...

I take care of hand injuries every day, I know what the TFCC is, YOU clearly don't. The TFCC is a disc of cartilage, the OP already stated the DISC was torn

NOT a sprain....you don't SPRAIN the TFCC, and Tears of the TFCC aren't graded like sprains, they are described by their location such as central or peripheral and the size
Right, I want to find out WHERE the tear is and what the size of it is. I do know it is completely torn, not a partial tear, but I don't really know what that means.

Dang it, my wrist hurts just thinking about all this. About to get dressed and go to the doc now.

You know what's crazy? I've gone from denial, to saying no way will I wear a brace on vacation and let's do everything when I get back, to OK, I'll wear the brace, to OK I'll wear the brace AND please give me a cortisone shot - all in about a week. It's definitely worse and them poking and twisting on it for the arthrogram and MRI didn't help it a bit. While they were twisting my hand all around I was like, "Dude - you do know that the reason I'm having this done is because it hurts like hell to try to move it like that, right?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
43,183 posts, read 34,620,377 times
Reputation: 60777
OK update: I have an upcoming appt with a hand specialist a few days after we get back from vacation, and the ortho doc I saw today said based on my reports, she will almost certainly do an arthroscopy. He prescribed Meloxicam which I've taken a couple of times in the past with no problem. He said to stay in the splint 24/7. He also said to drink plenty of Bloody Marys on vacation and have as much fun as possible with this ugly robocop splint thing on. Will do. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
23,260 posts, read 4,833,987 times
Reputation: 27492
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK update: I have an upcoming appt with a hand specialist a few days after we get back from vacation, and the ortho doc I saw today said based on my reports, she will almost certainly do an arthroscopy. He prescribed Meloxicam which I've taken a couple of times in the past with no problem. He said to stay in the splint 24/7. He also said to drink plenty of Bloody Marys on vacation and have as much fun as possible with this ugly robocop splint thing on. Will do. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Have a great vacation....enjoy your Bloody Mary pain medicine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
43,183 posts, read 34,620,377 times
Reputation: 60777
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have a great vacation....enjoy your Bloody Mary pain medicine
Haha, will do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Texas
3,856 posts, read 3,070,082 times
Reputation: 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK update: I have an upcoming appt with a hand specialist a few days after we get back from vacation, and the ortho doc I saw today said based on my reports, she will almost certainly do an arthroscopy. He prescribed Meloxicam which I've taken a couple of times in the past with no problem. He said to stay in the splint 24/7. He also said to drink plenty of Bloody Marys on vacation and have as much fun as possible with this ugly robocop splint thing on. Will do. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Go and have the best time possible on your vacation....

These days, most Ortho groups are multi specialty, and partners routinely refer to each other so treatment is performed by the most experienced and trained sub specialists necessary. That said, there are still plenty of General Ortho docs out there who seemingly do it all (or most of it). Out of curiosity, you mention that you saw an Ortho doc, but in your OP, you described him as a Sports Doc, which could also be a Generalists/Family Practice doc who has done a fellowship in Sports Medicine and functions non operatively (often working in Ortho groups). If they believe any surgery is necessary, they have to refer to a Surgeon, obviously. It's not clear from your post which you saw. Regardless, it sounds like things will go forward in the best direction from here. Good luck!

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-30-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,741 posts, read 54,817,391 times
Reputation: 18829
Sorry you're stuck with the brace but glad you can have the Bloody Marys! We will look for a report later on how you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
43,183 posts, read 34,620,377 times
Reputation: 60777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Go and have the best time possible on your vacation....

These days, most Ortho groups are multi specialty, and partners routinely refer to each other so treatment is performed by the most experienced and trained sub specialists necessary. That said, there are still plenty of General Ortho docs out there who seemingly do it all (or most of it). Out of curiosity, you mention that you saw an Ortho doc, but in your OP, you described him as a Sports Doc, which could also be a Generalists/Family Practice doc who has done a fellowship in Sports Medicine and functions non operatively (often working in Ortho groups). If they believe any surgery is necessary, they have to refer to a Surgeon, obviously. It's not clear from your post which you saw. Regardless, it sounds like things will go forward in the best direction from here. Good luck!
He is a sports medicine doctor, that's all I know, at a clinic that specializes in sports medicine, ortho, rehab, etc. that is affiliated with a major hospital in our area. With the MRI and other images on hand, he referred me to a resident who is apparently a "hand specialist."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top