U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2018, 03:08 PM
 
452 posts, read 279,876 times
Reputation: 293

Advertisements

Is there any support group for those who suffer from facial deformities? I can not find any on line. Also, is there anybody else on this forum who has facial deformities, facial disfigurement??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2018, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
10,147 posts, read 18,139,864 times
Reputation: 13087
https://www.google.com/search?q=faci...firefox-b-1-ab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2018, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
38,095 posts, read 30,164,960 times
Reputation: 52888
I look fine now due to reconstructive surgery, but I knocked my teeth out and tore up my lips and chin in a wreck in high school. It took about three years and various surgeries to put it all back together, but they did a great job and I look fine now. I actually like my chin scar - I think it adds character. I still can't feel some places on my lips and chin but I'm just happy my face doesn't look smashed. I'm 56 now but looked normal and all put back together again by the time I was about 19. So I've never joined any sort of group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
13,309 posts, read 10,543,266 times
Reputation: 19083
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I look fine now due to reconstructive surgery, but I knocked my teeth out and tore up my lips and chin in a wreck in high school. It took about three years and various surgeries to put it all back together, but they did a great job and I look fine now. I actually like my chin scar - I think it adds character. I still can't feel some places on my lips and chin but I'm just happy my face doesn't look smashed. I'm 56 now but looked normal and all put back together again by the time I was about 19. So I've never joined any sort of group.
Oh jeez Kathryn I never knew this... you have a lovely face.. and been lucky in the fact you found good doctors who cared enough to put it all back... some though have to suffer all their lives.. and would be good if everyone could be helped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
38,095 posts, read 30,164,960 times
Reputation: 52888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Oh jeez Kathryn I never knew this... you have a lovely face.. and been lucky in the fact you found good doctors who cared enough to put it all back... some though have to suffer all their lives.. and would be good if everyone could be helped...
Oh yes, I am all put back together and boy am I glad - you honestly can't tell other than a quirky sort of Y shaped scar on my chin, which I actually like so it's all good. Thank goodness I don't have the sort of smile where your gums show because my gums got knocked OUT, girl - and they don't grow back. LOL but it doesn't even show so it's all good. Modern medicine is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,294 posts, read 51,685,191 times
Reputation: 17687
I believe the OP might have been asking about birth defects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Aliso Viejo, Orange County, CA
4,550 posts, read 5,605,049 times
Reputation: 3618
Just a wild guess, but maybe the plastic surgery department of your nearest teaching hospital might be able tp provide you with leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
38,095 posts, read 30,164,960 times
Reputation: 52888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I believe the OP might have been asking about birth defects.
Maybe so but any facial deformity is probably going to require some support - it will definitely change your life if you have an accident or surgery or whatever later and have to adjust to that. And the OP did specifically mention disfigurement, which implies a later incident after birth.

I like the idea of contacting a local hospital or reconstructive surgery office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2018, 02:52 PM
 
452 posts, read 279,876 times
Reputation: 293
Thank you, nice people, for your replies but the surgeon was Unable to fix mine. That's why my search is not for any surgery but instead to find other people who have similar Irreparable deformity as mine. In other words, Socialization with people whom I can feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2018, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
15,177 posts, read 14,530,160 times
Reputation: 34495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Thank you, nice people, for your replies but the surgeon was Unable to fix mine. That's why my search is not for any surgery but instead to find other people who have similar Irreparable deformity as mine. In other words, Socialization with people whom I can feel comfortable with.
Here is another idea. You could search for support groups for people with genetic facial abnormalities. It is possible that you could get involved with their group or the members may have ideas of similar groups.

I am a retired special education teacher and I have learned that there are many groups like that. One of my former students had a genetic disorder that was so rare that there were perhaps 100 people in the entire world alive with that disorder and they had a very active support group.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top