U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:20 AM

689 posts, read 435,133 times

Advertisements

Lots might be genetics but lot is because they can afford a personal cook and eat at expense restaurants. That way they have good diets and don't over eat that causes lots of health problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 08:07 AM

84,736 posts, read 98,329,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This NOT the primary reason that some people choose holistic care.
You haven't been on many anti-vaccine, etc, websites. That is the main reason people choose alt. medicine.

"Doctors don't get but a few hours of education in (fill in the blank, usually nutrition and vaccines)".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-03-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 09:03 AM

5,443 posts, read 3,289,260 times
I think it's been well established that the very poor don't live as long as others, for various reasons.

I am not convinced that the "super rich," as defined by the OP ("if someone was a billionaire they could hire a medical team that would devote their life and all their resources and energy to cure that person") live on average a much longer or healthier life than the upper middle classes. Just "average" people live into their 90s in reasonably good shape all the time, and there's a limit to what medicine can do, especially for the elderly.

Now, if what you're talking about is "do the super rich live on average more comfortable and luxurious lives than others," then of course the answer is yes.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM

3,183 posts, read 2,781,847 times
I think it is possible that some of the 'super rich' have better genes and that is what gave them the edge in becoming more wealthy. In some ways maybe that also translates to better health for some. Look at some of our presidents. They apparently don't need as much sleep as some of us. Less needed sleep allows other people to put in time getting ahead while the rest of us are sleeping.

We have poor people in my family that lived into their 100's.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:52 PM

24,513 posts, read 11,428,790 times
My mother died because she was unable to afford healthcare (pre obamacare).

I have friends currently who are without thier medicine they need because they couldnt afford the co-pays after being laid off that month.

This thread shows a significant lack of comprehension of the impacts of being poor.

Being poor:
means you can't afford to move out of Flint Michigan to avoid lead contaminated water.
You sometimes choose food over medicine.
You avoid the Dr to avoid copays because ussually....you're ok.
You go to work sick because you cant afford the time off.
You cant get dental work-which impacts health-because of the cost.
You buy cheap food, not healthy because you dont have the money, or time to do otherwise.
You have more depression.
etc etc.

This question isnt hard at all. Of course the rich live longer.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:03 PM

7,440 posts, read 7,894,986 times
The ultra-rich have concierge medicine as it was portrayed in the television, show, Royal Pains. My uber-rich friend, member of the top of the 1% flew to NYC for surgery performed by the top doctor in his field. He then spent the next couple of weeks recuperating in a private room waited on by the chief doctor of the hospital. I bet most people have never seen what these specially reserved rooms look like with their first-class meal programs. He was given his surgeon's personal cell number and told to call it any time, day or night if he had a question. Against odds, my friend did recover. The price was a new wing for that hospital which is named after my friend.

Then again, Jackie O. died young from cancer and she had all the money in the world.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:29 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,175,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
what advanced procedures and treatments do you assume he's gotten that are not available to others?
Its not about advanced treatment. Its just the treatment.

There is a difference when you use the bank and when you own one.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:34 PM

5,443 posts, read 3,289,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
My mother died because she was unable to afford healthcare (pre obamacare).

I have friends currently who are without their medicine they need because they couldn't afford the co-pays after being laid off that month.

This thread shows a significant lack of comprehension of the impacts of being poor.

Being poor:
means you can't afford to move out of Flint, Michigan to avoid lead contaminated water.
You sometimes choose food over medicine.
You avoid the Dr to avoid copays because usually....you're ok.
You go to work sick because you can't afford the time off.
You can't get dental work-which impacts health-because of the cost.
You buy cheap food, not healthy because you don't have the money, or time to do otherwise.
You have more depression.
etc etc.

This question isn't hard at all. Of course the rich live longer.
Yes, but the world is not divided into the poor and the super rich (billionaires). The question was not whether the super rich live longer than the poor, but whether the super rich live longer than...well, everyone else.

Sorry about your mom.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:44 PM

24,513 posts, read 11,428,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, but the world is not divided into the poor and the super rich (billionaires). The question was not whether the super rich live longer than the poor, but whether the super rich live longer than...well, everyone else.

Sorry about your mom.
yeah. me too.

Im upper middle class by most standards. I have excellent health care. But I do know truly wealthy people, and its a entire world different. When I retire I will be ok. But the truly wealthy? They will have 24 hour healthcare, private pools, private Dr's etc etc. Simply put even in comparison to the upper middle class-there is NO comparison.

They will have automated hardware that monitors when and how often they pee in order to catch infections earlier. (I've seen this in use). People like me? "I think ive been peeing more lately".

It truly is a different world, and it matters

Old 05-03-2018, 06:25 PM

17,900 posts, read 11,395,173 times
One does not have to be "super rich", but merely able to afford access to good and competent medical care.

Each year hundreds if not a thousand or more Americans die from diseases that when caught early are easily treatable. Things like various cancers, coronary disease and so forth.

There is no reason today for anyone to die really of colon cancer for example. If detected early enough and or polyps removed and monitored success rates are quite high. Only time this does not play out well is for certain cancers such as prostrate, colon and so forth when the patient is elderly or very. If someone is 80 years old then quality of life with and after treatment comes into play versus outcome. OTOH if someone is willing to foot the bills out of their own pockets, then some doctor/hospital somewhere will likely say "lets rock".

Poor and or African American or Latino-Hispanic women have the highest infant mortality rates and or die during pregnancy/delivery than whites. This is largely due to inability to access quality pre-natal and L&D care.

Often such women present at an ER or whatever having nil to very indifferent care and have a host of issues ranging from gestational diabetes to eclampsia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or