Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:56 PM

91 posts, read 77,858 times

Advertisements

Hello, my teenager just completed 6 months using claravis and now, the dermatologist recommended to use aczone for the face, nothing else. Anyone experienced want to share the knowledge? I would like to know what to do next since my child has few scars due to heavy acnes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,534,802 times
I strongly suggest that you put your teenager on a dairy-free diet. That means zero dairy--not just no milk, no cheese, no butter, but nothing baked with dairy in it (cookies, cakes, etc.). Skin problems--such as eczema and acne--are often the result of eating dairy foods. It depends, of course, on the individual. I have a friend who had a long struggle with eczema; she went completely dairy-free, and mostly vegetarian (lots of hormones in meat, and acne is closely related to hormone fluctuations in teenagers), and the difference was amazing. Took 2-3 months, as I remember, for the full effect, but it really changed her life.

More info on the topic:

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellne...in-nails/acne/

https://www.aad.org/media/news-relea...-diet-and-acne

Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 AM

3,500 posts, read 6,138,630 times
Maybe better suited to the Health forum? You'll get better responses.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,760,455 times
My youngest daughter did Accutane. It worked great. Up until the Accutane she tried everything. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get on it and stay on it for the prescribed time. It is a hassle, but for her it was worth it.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
My grandgirl did a load of meds for her skin and now at 21 is off gluten and just about vegan and this works for her, her skin is lovely.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:24 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
Hello, my teenager just completed 6 months using claravis and now, the dermatologist recommended to use aczone for the face, nothing else. Anyone experienced want to share the knowledge? I would like to know what to do next since my child has few scars due to heavy acnes. Thanks.
So aczone is topical Dapsone a potent antibiotic that can be very effective for severe acne, certainly worth a try but review the possible side effects.

The dietary advice above? There is really no strong evidence linking either dairy products or gluten to acne. But there does seem to be benefit from low glycemic diets which is more evidence based.

LuckyD mentions Accutane above. My oldest daughter had a real bad time with acne and Accutane was the only thing that worked for her too and it worked well. Needs to be followed closely be a Dermatologist and if your teenager is a girl birth control is necessary due to teratogenic effects. Biggest side effect is really dry skin and dry mucous membranes, really dry lips. There are a host of other potential side effects so if you consider it get educated on the risks, but for the right patients it is a miracle drug...

Old 05-05-2018, 08:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,562,368 times
I took accutane as a teenager and never had a problem with my skin again. I’ve had a few zits here or there but maybe like 4-5 a year. No dietary changes whatsoever. I’d highly recommend it.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I took accutane as a teenager and never had a problem with my skin again. I’ve had a few zits here or there but maybe like 4-5 a year. No dietary changes whatsoever. I’d highly recommend it.
Correct. Terrible acne is not caused by a bad diet. It is usually genetic. I did a 5 month cycle of Accutane after trying everything imaginable, including all types of medications in combination. My skin is great now.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,710,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correct. Terrible acne is not caused by a bad diet. It is usually genetic.
It can also be hormonal. Diet has no effect on mine. I've had it all my adult life.

I was on accutane several years ago after trying everything else. It helped and my skin looked great for a few years. The effect wore off though and I'm still having problems with it. My acne is better as I've gotten older but it's still there. My doctor said I could try another course of accutane but I'm not going to because of the possible side effects. I didn't have any issues (other than the usual side effects) when I took it but I don't want to tempt fate.

I'm on aczone now and a couple of other medications. I'd listen to what the dermatologist says. There are some things that can be done for acne scars if the scars are really bothering your child. You might ask the dermatologist about those.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,760,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My grandgirl did a load of meds for her skin and now at 21 is off gluten and just about vegan and this works for her, her skin is lovely.
Maybe it works, hardly evidence. Of course eating a healthy diet is recommended for general health. You will have to come up with a peer reviewed study to say going gluten free and/or vegan was the reason for her clear skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness