U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 05:11 AM

1,701 posts, read 689,746 times

Advertisements

Swollen lymph nodes were the first symptom in my DH's lymphoma. Please have her get it attended to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 AM

20,894 posts, read 15,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yes, it is sort of a dilemma. If she was in the US she definitely would have already seen a doctor in person.

Of course, I'm not looking for a diagnosis and I have checked on medical web sites.

The PC doctor said that it probably caused by shaving under her arm and using anti-perspirant AND it is hot in her country. But, she has shaved under her arms for 15 plus years and has never had this problem before.

And, if it was caused by shaving/deodorant/hot weather wouldn't women in the southern US have this problem, too?
The shaving thing can come and go.

I'm a guy, but I had a specific electric razor I had been using to shave under my arms for quite awhile. I don't know how long I had it, but I got a bump under my arm when I shaved one winter. It would go down, then come back after a few weeks. It turned out to be staph. I was given some antibiotics and it cleared up permanently.

I bought a new electric razor (some make/model) and haven't had the problem since.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 AM

16,440 posts, read 15,862,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Yes Germaine, I think she should insist on being seen. Since it is recurring every 3 mos for 18 mos, there is something that her body is not able to fight off. She may need antibiotics. The PC doc is heartless IMO opinion in expecting her to just deal with these painful and potentially serious episodes without proper medical care.
I have decided that I will encourage her to be seen by the PC doctor the next time this happens. I suspect that my daughter has already made the same decision (but just wanted me get more information).

It is just a completely different world being a PCV in a third world country. Little things that Americans usually just take for granted such as access to clean water and electricity may not be readily available, let alone things like health care. They do have clinics and hospitals in my daughter's country but because she in the PC, unless it is something very minor (like removing larva/bugs/whatever from under your skin), all medical care needs to go through the PC doctor/doctors normally located in the capital city. That was a four or five day trip (depending on whether it was rainy season or not) from my daughter's previous village (when she started having this problem) and still a several day trek from her current village.

Imagine needing to take an eight to ten day trip just to see your doctor? It is really hard for most people to picture that. Heck, I moved to the other side of my large city and I get annoyed because I now have an hour and a half round trip to my long, time doctors. I can't imagine taking out over a week from my schedule to see a doctor.

I don't think that the doctors are heartless but they are just working in a completely different environment.

Thank you everyone for your comments and concern.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-08-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:10 AM

16,914 posts, read 3,471,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Swollen lymph nodes were the first symptom in my DH's lymphoma. Please have her get it attended to.
This in itself is a reason to be seen by a MD....

Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 PM

1,767 posts, read 849,780 times
I hope it's a cyst or boil instead of an inflamed lymph node. The only experience I have had with inflamed armpit lymph nodes was my son as a toddler when he got cat scratch fever.

I hope she can figure out what it is and resolve it!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,541,576 times
Removing bugs from under one's skin is MINOR? Oh My Lord!

Old 05-08-2018, 03:39 PM

16,440 posts, read 15,862,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Removing bugs from under one's skin is MINOR? Oh My Lord!
Luckily, it does not happen very often, but it is considered minor.

It is a completely different experience living in a tiny village in a third world country. My daughter used to be afraid of centipedes, spiders, bugs, etc. inside a house and now she either co-exists with them or takes them outside with her bare hands. She decided not to get a cat (for a variety of reasons) and just made friends with the mice living in her mud hut/house. Now, she is not very fond of all of the roosters that start crowing at 5 AM (before sunrise) as they woke her up every day (even when she wears ear plugs and head phones).

My daughter has helped make a difference in her community and has learned a lot being in the Peace Corps. It really is life changing in many ways.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:48 PM

4,028 posts, read 1,694,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Agree. Someone I know as well...and it was under her arm.

Get this checked stat.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:56 PM

84,916 posts, read 98,680,463 times
I'll add to the chorus, your daughter should be seen by a health care provider, germaine, ASAP. Not that I think this is a serious emergency, but I mean as soon as it can be arranged, starting today.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:49 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,279,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Luckily, it does not happen very often, but it is considered minor.

It is a completely different experience living in a tiny village in a third world country. My daughter used to be afraid of centipedes, spiders, bugs, etc. inside a house and now she either co-exists with them or takes them outside with her bare hands. She decided not to get a cat (for a variety of reasons) and just made friends with the mice living in her mud hut/house. Now, she is not very fond of all of the roosters that start crowing at 5 AM (before sunrise) as they woke her up every day (even when she wears ear plugs and head phones).

My daughter has helped make a difference in her community and has learned a lot being in the Peace Corps. It really is life changing in many ways.

I have relatives in their 60's who still talk about their time in the PC and consider it one of the highlights of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness