U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:35 AM

15,405 posts, read 17,468,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
My hubby is going for physical therapy due to a hip operation. He is doing 'ok.' But recently the knee on his other leg began really hurting him, and the therapist is telling him that he has to work through the pain. The doctor who did the surgery says it's arthritis, but he never had it before his hip operation. My question is: is it normal procedure for a so-called expert to say you gotta work through the pain? In the case of my husband, the doctor said he had osteoarthritis in the knee after taking an x-ray. So I wonder: is it the normal medical treatment to "work through the pain" with osteoarthritis, thinking it will get better? Somehow it doesn't seem quite right to me.
I'd talk to the Dr. about what this PT person is saying. Working through the pain might be in reference to the hip replacement treatment.....do you attend the sessions with your hubby? It may be helpful.

I'd start with your family Dr. your gut instinct to check is the right one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 03:19 AM

9,212 posts, read 13,792,280 times
Pain is useful information. It's your body telling you, don't do that.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 AM

4,095 posts, read 1,717,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
^^THIS^ is the valid answer and reasoning.

I had a gustop style therapist rant that "no pain no gain". and sure enough I gained a Pulled ligament and the pain of having to get surgery to fix it. My Doctor DID say that I should have ceased when the PAIN kept perpetuating...

As we age we have less cushion between the joints . The Pain is from the bones hitting directly without the ligaments to add cushion.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:09 AM

335 posts, read 153,733 times
OP - I am a PT, and I never tell my patients they have to "work through the pain". They may have a little bit of discomfort or feeling of being stretched, but nowhere near being in pain. I don't know your husband's medical history so I can't really offer advice, but I'd definitely look for another PT if I were you.

My rationale for not working through pain is very simple: I see most of my patients a couple of times a week, and the rest of the time I trust them to do the exercises on their own. If the exercises cause pain, my patients will skip them and that would defeat the whole purpose of physical therapy.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:21 AM

9,867 posts, read 1,634,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - I am a PT, and I never tell my patients they have to "work through the pain". They may have a little bit of discomfort or feeling of being stretched, but nowhere near being in pain. I don't know your husband's medical history so I can't really offer advice, but I'd definitely look for another PT if I were you.

My rationale for not working through pain is very simple: I see most of my patients a couple of times a week, and the rest of the time I trust them to do the exercises on their own. If the exercises cause pain, my patients will skip them and that would defeat the whole purpose of physical therapy.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 AM

9,471 posts, read 7,460,618 times
If Ibuprofen or Naproxen don't work, the alternatives are terribly addictive and MD's have become very sensitive to this.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 AM

14,815 posts, read 4,580,249 times
Quote:

Yes, it's useful and I don't know too many in this world who don't have it...even my grandkids in their early years are already experiencing pain with all their sports...BUT excessive and to keep pushing, I don't think so, the body is screaming rest it.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:57 AM

11,654 posts, read 6,076,429 times
Quote:
It really depends on the kind of pain - if you're rehabbing a broken hip, there will be pain just from sitting there and more pain when you start moving - at first. But if you wait for the pain to go away before doing your rehab you're screwed.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:27 PM

2,078 posts, read 677,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It really depends on the kind of pain - if you're rehabbing a broken hip, there will be pain just from sitting there and more pain when you start moving - at first. But if you wait for the pain to go away before doing your rehab you're screwed.
For sure, this^^^^^. Especially with a joint, it's not going to feel good, but if you don't move it, you can end up losing the ability to move it any more.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 AM

507 posts, read 149,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, it's useful and I don't know too many in this world who don't have it...even my grandkids in their early years are already experiencing pain with all their sports...BUT excessive and to keep pushing, I don't think so, the body is screaming rest it.
I would think so. He didn't break his knee, he broke his hip. And it's his knee on the other leg (not the one with the broken hip) that's giving him pain he never had before. I just can't believe that he suddenly has pain from arthritis that he never had before. But my husband being the person he is will do what the doctor tells him, no matter what, usually. In the meantime, I am giving him cosamin and curcumin, hoping those will help mitigate the pain/inflammation, or whatever it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or