U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 AM

543 posts, read 192,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - I am a PT, and I never tell my patients they have to "work through the pain". They may have a little bit of discomfort or feeling of being stretched, but nowhere near being in pain. I don't know your husband's medical history so I can't really offer advice, but I'd definitely look for another PT if I were you.

My rationale for not working through pain is very simple: I see most of my patients a couple of times a week, and the rest of the time I trust them to do the exercises on their own. If the exercises cause pain, my patients will skip them and that would defeat the whole purpose of physical therapy.
Thanks for your thoughts here. "I" would look for another PT, but I'm not my husband. Thanks for your thoughts, though. I was just wondering how beneficial it is when exercising to experience pain and then think it's all right. Somehow when I'm in pain, I think something's wrong, and moving the joint more while it's painful won't necessarily help it. It might, in fact, hurt it, and I'm not an expert, maybe I'm wrong, so I don't want to come across as someone who knows, but again -- I'll read him the replies, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 10:43 AM

18,539 posts, read 6,037,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I would think so. He didn't break his knee, he broke his hip. And it's his knee on the other leg (not the one with the broken hip) that's giving him pain he never had before. I just can't believe that he suddenly has pain from arthritis that he never had before. But my husband being the person he is will do what the doctor tells him, no matter what, usually. In the meantime, I am giving him cosamin and curcumin, hoping those will help mitigate the pain/inflammation, or whatever it is.

You know how the saying goes: The hip bones connected to the knee bone, the knee bone is connected to the ankle bone and this is OLD song but so true as I've found out from hip replacement. My whole hip side has been affected by the major surgery. And one MD I listen to says: when we are CUT, arthritis sets in, and at least one member here says not so, but I believe it to be so.

And our body can and does become unstable with the surgeries.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 AM

15,073 posts, read 15,136,180 times
The knee-pain is probably due to the added stress after the hip-operation. I think working through the pain in most likely the best idea in this situation......you have to get up and moving after the
hip-operation

Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 AM

18,539 posts, read 6,037,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The knee-pain is probably due to the added stress after the hip-operation. I think working through the pain in most likely the best idea in this situation......you have to get up and moving after the
hip-operation
People are moving but stuff happens along the way when the body settles more. I had 5 good months post op from hip replacement and then things went downhill. And YES I was doing my work and walking and then found too late how short my leg was from the surgery. S*** happens.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,468,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
For sure, this^^^^^. Especially with a joint, it's not going to feel good, but if you don't move it, you can end up losing the ability to move it any more.
NYC and reneeh have it right....

Your husband should follow the advice of his PT and Orthopedic Surgeon not random posters who have no direct knowledge or experience treating this type of condition.

Early motion after almost any Orthopaedic procedure is the key to recovery and waiting until it feels good (which it may never) is often too late.

As for the other knee hurting, it absolutely could be arthritis pain. The x ray would tell the tale here and just because that joint didn't hurt before, when it suddenly has to bear more of the weight due to the injury/surgery on the other side it is VERY common to then develop the arthritis pain.

There is a poster here who thinks arthritis magically "sets in after surgery" as if it is some sort of vapor I suppose....

That's not how it works...

The arthritis was already there just because the pain wasn't noticed the joint damage takes a long time to become evident on x ray....doesn't happen overnight but the onset of symptoms such as pain can absolutely happen overnight...

Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, it's useful and I don't know too many in this world who don't have it...even my grandkids in their early years are already experiencing pain with all their sports...BUT excessive and to keep pushing, I don't think so, the body is screaming rest it.
I have to say this. When i was younger, I did not have any pain. As I think about it, it was amazing. I could cry as I'm writing this, but I used to love, love, love, getting on my bike after school (in high school) and travel great distances, loving the exercise. I also walked with joy to school many times. At least two miles away. No pain. But then a lovely person pushed me, and knocked me over in a basketball game, and my knee twisted, and the surgeon removed the torn cartilege. Of course the aftermath from the operation was painful, I went into some form of electric therapy rehab which was not really painful. I don't remember any exercise, but I loved to exercise anyway, so would have done that naturally. I coped rather well for 20 or so years with accidents here and there, ankles twisting, etc. A few cortisone shots. (Don't want them now.) But my physical ability was more or less recoverable. Now I am 74 and aside from losing mobility, I have fallen several times, and once that happens, as the ad goes, I "can't get up."

What I am trying to say is this: I do try to walk as much as possible. And I look forward to water exercise soon. I can't do too much walking, but I try. We just had a ramp built, for which I am very grateful. It helps. I can no longer climb steps. And ESPECIALLY steps without a handle, I won't even try. Just say no. I am afraid of losing my balance. Ain't good, but I'm coping as best I can.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions and hints.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
NYC and reneeh have it right....

Your husband should follow the advice of his PT and Orthopedic Surgeon not random posters who have no direct knowledge or experience treating this type of condition.

Early motion after almost any Orthopaedic procedure is the key to recovery and waiting until it feels good (which it may never) is often too late.

As for the other knee hurting, it absolutely could be arthritis pain. The x ray would tell the tale here and just because that joint didn't hurt before, when it suddenly has to bear more of the weight due to the injury/surgery on the other side it is VERY common to then develop the arthritis pain.

There is a poster here who thinks arthritis magically "sets in after surgery" as if it is some sort of vapor I suppose....

That's not how it works...

The arthritis was already there just because the pain wasn't noticed the joint damage takes a long time to become evident on x ray....doesn't happen overnight but the onset of symptoms such as pain can absolutely happen overnight...
They took an x-ray of the knee (NOT the knee on the side where his hip broke). The pain started for the first time on that knee after he started the bicycling exercise for the hip. He never had knee pain before that. To be honest, arthritis in that knee, while it may be true that the x-ray showed that, is just not a good enough excuse for the sudden pain. He never had it before. I would think a competent, capable physical therapist would be able to understand exercises surrounding the painful joint, not to exacerbate it with head-on exercise and claim you have to work through the pain, when it's getting worse. But thanks anyway for your opinion.

Or it may be that it is a good enough excuse for the sudden onset of pain. But "working through the pain" is not the best way in my opinion, to deal with it. But then who am I? I'm certainly not a PT or doctor. (I just don't trust many of them.)

It may not be how it works with arthritis, but odd that's the sequence about my husband's surgery. I do know of a person who had bladder surgery, and after that the arthritis went through her body so badly she couldn't walk. I also know of another person who had a baker's cyst removed from her knee (I had a baker's cyst, wouldn't DARE let a surgeon touch it), and after that she had to leave her job and is permanently disabled with crippling arthritis. While many surgeries do work, the scare stories of others definitely would keep me away from surgery unless it was a life-or-death situation. Maybe the surgery releases toxins, who knows? I sure don't. But I still would not go for surgery unless, as I said, I was absolutely convinced it was a life-or-death situation.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:20 PM

2,636 posts, read 941,296 times
Quote:
They took an x-ray of the knee (NOT the knee on the side where his hip broke). The pain started for the first time on that knee after he started the bicycling exercise for the hip. He never had knee pain before that. To be honest, arthritis in that knee, while it may be true that the x-ray showed that, is just not a good enough excuse for the sudden pain. He never had it before. I would think a competent, capable physical therapist would be able to understand exercises surrounding the painful joint, not to exacerbate it with head-on exercise and claim you have to work through the pain, when it's getting worse. But thanks anyway for your opinion.

Or it may be that it is a good enough excuse for the sudden onset of pain. But "working through the pain" is not the best way in my opinion, to deal with it. But then who am I? I'm certainly not a PT or doctor. (I just don't trust many of them.)

It may not be how it works with arthritis, but odd that's the sequence about my husband's surgery. I do know of a person who had bladder surgery, and after that the arthritis went through her body so badly she couldn't walk. I also know of another person who had a baker's cyst removed from her knee (I had a baker's cyst, wouldn't DARE let a surgeon touch it), and after that she had to leave her job and is permanently disabled with crippling arthritis. While many surgeries do work, the scare stories of others definitely would keep me away from surgery unless it was a life-or-death situation. Maybe the surgery releases toxins, who knows? I sure don't. But I still would not go for surgery unless, as I said, I was absolutely convinced it was a life-or-death situation.
Did he bicycle before? If not, he may not have been using the knee enough to notice the arthritis. Now he has to use it and it hurts.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Did he bicycle before? If not, he may not have been using the knee enough to notice the arthritis. Now he has to use it and it hurts.
No, he did not bicycle before this. He's had several problems with his feet before this, though. So he loved to walk to exercise, but no longer can. Kind of sad to see someone (including myself) deteriorate, but it happens.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:19 PM

477 posts, read 214,689 times
Quote:
I do try to walk as much as possible. And I look forward to water exercise soon. I can't do too much walking, but I try. We just had a ramp built, for which I am very grateful. It helps. I can no longer climb steps. And ESPECIALLY steps without a handle, I won't even try. Just say no. I am afraid of losing my balance.
Walking is very good exercise and I commend you for continuing to do it, as long as it's not painful. Water exercise is also good as it's easy on your joints.

As for balance, a few things may help:
1) exercise your legs to keep them strong; don't neglect the muscles on the inside and outside of your thigh. Do you have access to a gym/YMCA/YWCA? Usually those places have trainers who can advise you.
2) try Tai Chi, either by taking a class or getting an instructional video; it's easy on the joints and it involves gentle movements and lots of weight-shifting.
3) Google "Otago Exercise Program"; it's a home-based (i.e., you do not need equipment or machines) series of exercises to reduce falls risks in older adults. I use it a lot with my elderly patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or