U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 05:42 AM

11,344 posts, read 12,743,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Yes, not using the joint will make it worse, so continue to use it even though using it is painful--work through the pain.
That's it, and I have lots of experience with it. Not exercising is a great way to cripple yourself with arthritis.

But what we really want is for a doc to play "Mommie kiss boo-boo, boo-boo go away."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 11:52 AM

26,212 posts, read 16,897,584 times
First, when you are favoring one side of your body whether it be upper or lower, it can effect the other side. The other side is moving different and sometimes "carrying" more of the load, while the other side is healing.

My only experience with PT is my husband's shoulder. Had surgery, HAD to move and stretch it if he wanted the most mobility when it healed, and yes, it hurt. He knew it before going, and he knew he would have to suck it up if he wanted the best possible outcome.

Despite needing a new surgery (different problem), he ended up with almost full mobility and good strength on that arm. You will not get that babying it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 05-13-2018, 12:46 PM

4,508 posts, read 10,304,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
They took an x-ray of the knee (NOT the knee on the side where his hip broke). The pain started for the first time on that knee after he started the bicycling exercise for the hip. He never had knee pain before that. To be honest, arthritis in that knee, while it may be true that the x-ray showed that, is just not a good enough excuse for the sudden pain. He never had it before. I would think a competent, capable physical therapist would be able to understand exercises surrounding the painful joint, not to exacerbate it with head-on exercise and claim you have to work through the pain, when it's getting worse. But thanks anyway for your opinion.

Or it may be that it is a good enough excuse for the sudden onset of pain. But "working through the pain" is not the best way in my opinion, to deal with it. But then who am I? I'm certainly not a PT or doctor. (I just don't trust many of them.)

It may not be how it works with arthritis, but odd that's the sequence about my husband's surgery. I do know of a person who had bladder surgery, and after that the arthritis went through her body so badly she couldn't walk. I also know of another person who had a baker's cyst removed from her knee (I had a baker's cyst, wouldn't DARE let a surgeon touch it), and after that she had to leave her job and is permanently disabled with crippling arthritis. While many surgeries do work, the scare stories of others definitely would keep me away from surgery unless it was a life-or-death situation. Maybe the surgery releases toxins, who knows? I sure don't. But I still would not go for surgery unless, as I said, I was absolutely convinced it was a life-or-death situation.
No "toxins" are released from any surgery that would suddenly "cause arthritis" just not how it happens, as for "who knows" anyone that studies human anatomy and physiology knows, this isn't some unknown mystery of the human condition....

Someone who "developed" crippling arthritis after bladder surgery already had arthritis, onset of symptoms nothing more than coincidence...

As for "developing arthritis" after removal of a Baker's cyst? If you have a Baker's cyst you likely have arthritis..a Baker's cyst is almost always a SIGN of arthritis or a cartilage tear not the other way around.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:21 PM

538 posts, read 175,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That's it, and I have lots of experience with it. Not exercising is a great way to cripple yourself with arthritis.

But what we really want is for a doc to play "Mommie kiss boo-boo, boo-boo go away."
Yeah, we do, and we hope it goes away without too much trouble.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:30 PM

26,212 posts, read 16,897,584 times
Quote:
Yeah, we do, and we hope it goes away without too much trouble.
That doesn't really happen, and why we have PT.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 05-13-2018, 08:18 PM

4,959 posts, read 3,087,320 times
Quote:
To be honest, arthritis in that knee, while it may be true that the x-ray showed that, is just not a good enough excuse for the sudden pain. He never had it before.
I never had arthritic knee pain. Until the day I did.

Knee pain from arthritis is manageable.

-Rest (not bedrest)
-Applied gentle heat or cold packs, whichever works best
-Ibuprofen but watch dosage limits
-Myofascial release. My orthopedist and my trainer emphasize this and it works a treat. You use a foam roller on the areas surrounding the knee to gently release tension and knots. Don't use the roller on bone or directly on the knee, just around the knee.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 PM

2,432 posts, read 837,932 times
Quote:
No, he did not bicycle before this. He's had several problems with his feet before this, though. So he loved to walk to exercise, but no longer can. Kind of sad to see someone (including myself) deteriorate, but it happens.
Arthritis is a sign of age or it's genetics, but I don't think it means you're deteriorating. The older you get, the more things ache. It's pretty universal. Move while you still can, treat the pain as everyone has suggested, and go on with life.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 AM

5,252 posts, read 3,092,158 times
The knee is most likely hurting because he is not using the repaired hip appropriately. He is probably "protecting" it and overusing the good leg and knee. Be sure he does the exercises and uses that repaired hip and leg. He should be standing up straight, not leaning on the good side.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Arthritis is a sign of age or it's genetics, but I don't think it means you're deteriorating. The older you get, the more things ache. It's pretty universal. Move while you still can, treat the pain as everyone has suggested, and go on with life.
We're trying...thanks. :-)

Old 05-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I never had arthritic knee pain. Until the day I did.

Knee pain from arthritis is manageable.

-Rest (not bedrest)
-Applied gentle heat or cold packs, whichever works best
-Ibuprofen but watch dosage limits
-Myofascial release. My orthopedist and my trainer emphasize this and it works a treat. You use a foam roller on the areas surrounding the knee to gently release tension and knots. Don't use the roller on bone or directly on the knee, just around the knee.
He said that the PT told him heat or cold packs, but how can heat work? Wouldn't it aggravate the condition? Because I thought it would inflame the inside, rather than cool it down. When he was in the hospital, they applied cold packs to the side of the hip operation and that did help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or