U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,386,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
He said that the PT told him heat or cold packs, but how can heat work? Wouldn't it aggravate the condition? Because I thought it would inflame the inside, rather than cool it down. When he was in the hospital, they applied cold packs to the side of the hip operation and that did help.
No, it doesn't aggravate the condition. Heat can help reduce inflammation and soothe stiff joints. Some practitioners recommend alternating heat and cold but what works for me is a hot bath, 20 minutes, twice a day. Cold packs just make my knee stiffer and more painful.

Not everyone is the same, so a little experimentation is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 12:56 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
He said that the PT told him heat or cold packs, but how can heat work? Wouldn't it aggravate the condition? Because I thought it would inflame the inside, rather than cool it down. When he was in the hospital, they applied cold packs to the side of the hip operation and that did help.
We're told so many things TO DO, I think the heat helps to get blood flowing. Cold I believe would be for immediate injuries, but both are used. While I was in rehabs it was all cold packs, but a PT would apply hot pack to my knee when she was working to get my knee to cycle on the bike. I keep a heating pad on my bed and use it now and then. Often now when I use the cold packs, I hurt more. geeeezzzzz

Old 05-14-2018, 07:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 962,344 times
Quote:
Cold brings down swelling (supposedly) and heat relaxes muscles and tendons.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
There are times to work through it and times to stop. I have had multiple knee surgeries and in general if it’s sharp pain they say to stop but otherwise work through. It may help him to take pain medicine before and after PT which his doctor should be willing to prescribe if necessary. When I had my first major knee surgery I had to take two pills on PT days for about a month post op.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 PM

549 posts, read 195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
There are times to work through it and times to stop. I have had multiple knee surgeries and in general if itís sharp pain they say to stop but otherwise work through. It may help him to take pain medicine before and after PT which his doctor should be willing to prescribe if necessary. When I had my first major knee surgery I had to take two pills on PT days for about a month post op.
I'm happy to report that he's getting better. He's "working through" the pain, and he's walking better. I appreciate everyone's input, although if it were me, I'd probably have taken it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or