U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 PM

543 posts, read 192,399 times

Advertisements

My hubby is going for physical therapy due to a hip operation. He is doing 'ok.' But recently the knee on his other leg began really hurting him, and the therapist is telling him that he has to work through the pain. The doctor who did the surgery says it's arthritis, but he never had it before his hip operation. My question is: is it normal procedure for a so-called expert to say you gotta work through the pain? In the case of my husband, the doctor said he had osteoarthritis in the knee after taking an x-ray. So I wonder: is it the normal medical treatment to "work through the pain" with osteoarthritis, thinking it will get better? Somehow it doesn't seem quite right to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM

18,566 posts, read 6,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
My hubby is going for physical therapy due to a hip operation. He is doing 'ok.' But recently the knee on his other leg began really hurting him, and the therapist is telling him that he has to work through the pain. The doctor who did the surgery says it's arthritis, but he never had it before his hip operation. My question is: is it normal procedure for a so-called expert to say you gotta work through the pain? In the case of my husband, the doctor said he had osteoarthritis in the knee after taking an x-ray. So I wonder: is it the normal medical treatment to "work through the pain" with osteoarthritis, thinking it will get better? Somehow it doesn't seem quite right to me.
The people at the rehabs where I was with my knee issue, kept saying "work thru the pain", "no pain, no gain", I questioned it all then and I still do. I no longer push to work thru the pain. I rest the joint that is paining me as pushing probably/possibly makes it all worse. Good to move, but pushing...I think could make it all worse.

When I ride my bike and it feels good while cycling, then the next day or that night, I hurt more...so I'm pushing on this arthritic knee. Now I skip some days on the bike and only do a little cycling.

Arthritis is a B****......and plenty still have problems after they supposedly go for the big fixes, surgeries.

So we need to pick which fixes...and I believe it all depends on degree of issues. With knee replacements and dealing with metal/plastic parts, one needs to push more but with what we have left with our own knee, being more gentle, but still somewhat a move.

With the Cosamin DS the doctor saw a cushioning effect on the bone on bone knee.

People have been hurt with PT too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-09-2018 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 07:35 PM

2,640 posts, read 943,009 times
If you're favoring the hip, it can make something else, like the knee, hurt, with or without arthritis. I think the therapist means your H has to do the exercises if he wants his hip mobility back. My husband had months of physical therapy for broken elbows and his physical therapist told him he became fascinated with the subject when he hurt his foot. He favored it for months and his back hurt and and it didn't get better and it didn't get better and one day he just got fed up and walked normally and was back to himself in a very short time, walking normally and nothing hurting.

If you feel unsure, you can run the exercises by the dr and see if he thinks it's OK to continue.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:41 PM

1,332 posts, read 637,152 times
Yes, not using the joint will make it worse, so continue to use it even though using it is painful--work through the pain.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 580,840 times
That's why I didn't go to rehab after coming home from the hospital in a wheel chair. I knew how much I could do and how far to push without being in pain. Was 2 months in a wheel chair, another couple of months in a walker and a couple of months with a cane. After 6 months I could walk without any problems. Being retired my time is my own. So no advantage in rushing anything. Had back problems for years. Never did any back exercises. Just learned how to move so that I wasn't generating any pain. Haven't had a back problem in 20 years. Pain is your body's way of telling you to stop, do something else.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If you're favoring the hip, it can make something else, like the knee, hurt, with or without arthritis. I think the therapist means your H has to do the exercises if he wants his hip mobility back. My husband had months of physical therapy for broken elbows and his physical therapist told him he became fascinated with the subject when he hurt his foot. He favored it for months and his back hurt and and it didn't get better and it didn't get better and one day he just got fed up and walked normally and was back to himself in a very short time, walking normally and nothing hurting.

If you feel unsure, you can run the exercises by the dr and see if he thinks it's OK to continue.
I'm not too confident in the dr., but he apparently did a good enough job in repairing the hip (pins). Came in late at night to perform emergency surgery.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
That's why I didn't go to rehab after coming home from the hospital in a wheel chair. I knew how much I could do and how far to push without being in pain. Was 2 months in a wheel chair, another couple of months in a walker and a couple of months with a cane. After 6 months I could walk without any problems. Being retired my time is my own. So no advantage in rushing anything. Had back problems for years. Never did any back exercises. Just learned how to move so that I wasn't generating any pain. Haven't had a back problem in 20 years. Pain is your body's way of telling you to stop, do something else.
That's what I think, but try to convince my husband of that. But -- I'll read him the posts. :-) Except mine.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 PM

18,566 posts, read 6,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

Most doctors I believe kinda wash their hands with the PT work, put everything in the hands of the PT's experience.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most doctors I believe kinda wash their hands with the PT work, put everything in the hands of the PT's experience.
From my husband's report as to the visit with his doctor, that's the way it seems. Little to no comment about the therapy. However, as men can be, he will have to work it out, but I will be reading (some of) these posts. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2018, 10:50 PM

2,640 posts, read 943,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
From my husband's report as to the visit with his doctor, that's the way it seems. Little to no comment about the therapy. However, as men can be, he will have to work it out, but I will be reading (some of) these posts. Thanks!
That sounds right to me, but sometimes men are different and would be more apt to listen to the dr than the pt. My husband liked his pt, but didn't like pain any more than most men, so the dr gave him some meds to take before pt. The harder you fight it, the longer you'll be going. It took my husband 4 months to get where he needed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or