U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,701,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/story/s/w...ife-expectancy

So the previous advice was that a drink or two a day actually increased lifespan and prevented artherosclerosis and heart attacks. Now this new report contradicts that. No wonder people are confused.. we are constantly subject to confusing and contradictory information from the medical community.
Honey, based on this I should be long time dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

14,075 posts, read 14,230,761 times
YAWN................coffee kills you/coffee makes you live longer.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

14,760 posts, read 4,548,578 times
It's rather comical how the scientists keep coming out with their new info...as I said everyone needs work and scientists need to work.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

11,650 posts, read 6,060,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All the science pushers keep coming out with new info, they gotta keep their paychecks.

As for drinking I did my share but no longer and don't miss the alcohol. Now my dad drank two beers a couple weeks before he died at about 95....he drank all his life.
Yeah - shouldn't we have the whole world figured out already?! Oh, I bet we did, back in 1950 but there's been a huge conspiracy to withhold all the real information....

Scientists just need to shut up - if they learn anything new, keep it to themselves.

Ooooooorrrrr, let qualified people do the interpreting instead of popular media idiots whose last science class was apparently in high school.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,205,758 times
I'm already dead...

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

2,478 posts, read 854,861 times
Consider that the old saw "moderation in all things" has been around a lot longer than all the studies. It also outlasts proofs to the contrary fairly well. There are entire books on how to lie with statistics. Depending on what the hypotheses for the studies happened to be the results can be turned to effect them. I am NOT saying all studies are done with the intention to lie, but that the framing of their original hypotheses affects the slant the data collection and analysis end up taking. We all know that some studies simply re-analyze data that was collected for another study. Warp it enough and the end conclusion can be different. This isn't restricted to the medical community nor the anti-medical community.

Do people really need a study to inform them that drinking alcohol too often isn't a great idea? Overlay the health benefits/risks onto studies about the hazards of conducting your life buzzed or drunk and the picture changes yet again. What is "too much"? If it really is reduced down to the difference between one drink a week, one drink a day or not, maybe this is too far down into the weeds to be meaningful. I don't drink, never have so for me the point is moot. I am not so rigidly desperate for an additional week or month of longevity to care. Quality of life matters more to me than quantity. I am not going to spend the time tallying up every single bad or good thing I do to squeeze an additional anxiety-ridden day out of it. It's like the miser who sits alone in a dark cold broken down house starving to death endlessly counting those precious pennies. There are too too many mental ledger sheets to balance already.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 11:22 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

14,760 posts, read 4,548,578 times
Scientists = Keep Them Confused.

Where's my paycheck?

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

4,233 posts, read 2,696,403 times
One indisputable fact:

Sumthin's gon' getcha.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

2,005 posts, read 590,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I am not going to spend the time tallying up every single bad or good thing I do to squeeze an additional anxiety-ridden day out of it. It's like the miser who sits alone in a dark cold broken down house starving to death endlessly counting those precious pennies. There are too too many mental ledger sheets to balance already.
True, but I think what most of us care about is not how long we live, but how long we can live in a functioning state. We want to avoid, if possible, the disabling chronic diseases.

But it's true, medical science can't help much with deciding what to eat or drink. For one thing, as I said before, studies can't consider all the differences between individuals. So alcohol may be good for some and bad for others, depending on whatever.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,673,619 times
Rice contains arsenic
Too many tomatoes and oranges causes acid reflux
Soy inhibits iron absorption
Spinach can cause kidney stones (isn't this what finally did in Popeye?)

What IS a person to do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or