U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

2,006 posts, read 592,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
So, proven that for every hour that you walk (Fast and not the walk with the Pooch), you INCREASE your Life Span by :30 minutes..

I walk NEVER under 2 hrs a day, 98% of every month......I guess a Metro Bus will have to run me over to die.......My 1 or 2 glasses of wine a Day, certainly get more than covered with all the walk I do...Therefore getting runned over or killed in Detroit while on vacation... and some punk wants to steal my iPhone.
I agree about walking. Too bad most people won't do it. I guess it's easy to forget, since now we don't really have to walk. You can do your shopping online, work from home, never leave your chair.

I think walking, fast, is the best exercise because you won't get injuries, but you increase breathing and heart rate and get all the benefits. Maybe running or jogging is better, but can cause injuries and who needs that.

People I don't know have often come up to me and told me how wonderful and amazing I am, because they see me walking. I find that so strange, because to me walking is no big deal, it's easy and everyone should do it. I actually don't like it at all when people say I am amazing just because they see me walking. I usually just say "Oh well, it's a habit I got into."

People used to go out and walk just to take a break. Not any more. Now if they go out at all it's in the car. The only exception is if they are walking a dog. Dog owners are probably the only healthy Americans now, aside from the health nuts who run or work out in gyms. Walking just for exercise and relaxation seems pretty unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

5,087 posts, read 2,775,544 times
Every breath that you take....reduces your lifespan.

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

10,081 posts, read 11,870,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I agree about walking. Too bad most people won't do it. I guess it's easy to forget, since now we don't really have to walk. You can do your shopping online, work from home, never leave your chair.

I think walking, fast, is the best exercise because you won't get injuries, but you increase breathing and heart rate and get all the benefits. Maybe running or jogging is better, but can cause injuries and who needs that.

People I don't know have often come up to me and told me how wonderful and amazing I am, because they see me walking. I find that so strange, because to me walking is no big deal, it's easy and everyone should do it. I actually don't like it at all when people say I am amazing just because they see me walking. I usually just say "Oh well, it's a habit I got into."

People used to go out and walk just to take a break. Not any more. Now if they go out at all it's in the car. The only exception is if they are walking a dog. Dog owners are probably the only healthy Americans now, aside from the health nuts who run or work out in gyms. Walking just for exercise and relaxation seems pretty unusual.

walking with no destination perceived as unusal now. Im a regular walker and have been for my whole life. Just walking in the nice weather in a quiet area is good exercise and clears the mind. You could take a break and enjoy a coffee or something and just be. I've gotten strange looks when telling people I wander for hours. Many I do see walking are looking at thier phones. I have had to practically dodge these folks on some occasions. I do this along with the gym during warm weather months.

Cold dark weather months here though, forget it. Little is more depressing then cold and a slate grey sky above walking under that. If I lived in a sunny year round place I could walk daily.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,674,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, it wasn't the spinach that finally got Popeye but the tops of the cans that he gobbled down right along with the spinach.
One has to wonder if he was not a victim of the times, would a present day Popeye have escaped this with the newer pull top cans?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Popeye's medical diagnosis...
I always thought the massive forearms came from hauling nets, anchor ropes and mast riggings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Eat air .... oh wait, that's bad too.
Sad but true! ~Sigh~... I think I need a drink after all this...

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

542 posts, read 225,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This begs the question - is living the very longest you possibly can the main point in life?

We're talking heavy drinkers can decrease their life expectancy by 5 years, and moderate drinkers by one or so.

I'd be inclined to say, so what? Heavy drinking is one thing, and no way to go through life, but moderate social drinking reduces your life by a year?

Ummm . . . is that really a problem we need to focus our entire life on?
And I'm kinda coming at this from the opposite end. I don't drink (I don't like how drunk people act, or the idea of losing inhibition and potentially saying or doing damaging things) but I recognize that there is a good body of research suggesting that moderate drinking has health benefits. But to me, those benefits aren't worth the anxiety. Quantity isn't the only thing in life.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

8,714 posts, read 5,845,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
He is definitely the exception im referring to. If he lives to mid 80's and goes out happy its well worth it all I think. We tempt fate daily in general to some degree, i have seen lives change in an instant from accidents and being victims of crimes also.

I was like your cousin actually. I smoked for years until quitting 5 years ago, and draining a 6 pack after work was a regular thing for me also. (Sometimes Jack Daniels followed also.) I now rarely drink and exercise several times a week. I feel good but wonder if it will impact my future too. What if the outcome is the same? I have more energy and am in better shape to live life and deal with its challenges and that's what I like about living healthier in my view.

Life is sooo unpredictable though.
Maybe we don't really live longer without all those bad habits, maybe it just SEEMS longer.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

4,868 posts, read 7,537,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I always thought the massive forearms came from hauling nets, anchor ropes and mast riggings...
I thought so too, but the doctor's diagnosis doesn't sound good.

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

15,241 posts, read 28,397,046 times
Life span and life expectancy are not the same thing. NOTHING is going to alter the human life span. Life expectancy is a whole other matter and has more to do with child and infant mortality. If you survive past five years your chance of reaching adulthood is very high. If you make it to 21 the odds of you making it to 65 are very high also. There is no way you can state that one thing is causing a lower life expectancy unless you take into consideration ALL the variables involved which is impossible.

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

11,547 posts, read 13,744,668 times
"Alcohol is a slow poison."
"So? Who's in a hurry?"

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

494 posts, read 619,081 times
I do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes. I donít eat gluten, red meat, sugar, dairy, or fried food.
I drink daily green smoothies (that is recent), eat plenty of seafood, legumes, fruits and vegetables, and have done so for years. Last month, during a routine colonoscopy, doctor removed a cancerous polyp. They werenít sure if they got it all and MRI revealed at least stage 1. So I recently had 12 inches of my rectum/colon removed. It all turned out well thankfully but colon cancer is the last diagnosis I ever expected to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or