U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:07 PM

2,388 posts, read 640,871 times

Advertisements

I severely damaged my left big toe in 1995. The toenail never grew back normally. It is kind of a thick, ugly thing that I can only trim with special clippers, no regular clippers for me! Still hurts too (a little). I've never been to a podiatrist. It would be interesting to get their take on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:28 PM

9,152 posts, read 6,335,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I severely damaged my left big toe in 1995. The toenail never grew back normally. It is kind of a thick, ugly thing that I can only trim with special clippers, no regular clippers for me! Still hurts too (a little). I've never been to a podiatrist. It would be interesting to get their take on it.
I've read that sometimes ( I'd guess when the nail bed near the bottom of the nail towards the foot) is damaged, the nail does not grow back, or doesn't grow normally. Sounds as though that is what happened to you. If it still hurts, maybe a visit to a podiatrist might help? Unless he just wants to remove the abnormal nail.or something. Not sure I'd sit still for that.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM

11,539 posts, read 8,119,620 times
Expect pain jane.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,064,397 times
I did something to a little toe that caused the nail to lift somewhat. I completely forgot about it at some point. Eventually, months later, the nail fell off in my hand and there was a new nail underneath. It was very weird to me, but apparently it’s not very unusual!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:36 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,210,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Warning - pretty gross...

Three weeks ago I stubbed my big toe in a major way - walking fast on a broken sidewalk in canvas espadrilles. It swelled and turned black and blue and finally on Day 8 I got brave enough to poke a needle into the base of the nail and it spurted blood. The blood-letting helped the pain, swelling and throbbing though it continued to be pretty sore.

I was at the beach for a few days this week and noticed that my big toe nail is lifting off my toe. It is only hanging on to one side right now so I have it taped down so it won't move around. What should I expect when it falls off? What will be underneath? How long will it take to be normal again?

Once, I went for a long, hard run, in a new pair of shoes. Something you should never do, until you've tested them on a short, slow jog first. So much pressure was put on my big toenails, that the toes became inflamed and swollen. The toenails died after awhile and then the toes became infected, under the nails. Pus was oozing out and I had to tear them both out with pliers, to treat the infections. The only running I could do for a month, was barefoot, on grass. Finally, the new nails grew in and I was fine, but had learned something.

I think that if your toenail is loose, there is no hope for it, as a new nail is probably growing in under it. You'd better see a doctor and get it removed, to avoid infection. Going to an urgent care clinic, could be the easiest and least expensive way and they would see you immediately.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:53 AM

2,917 posts, read 1,186,385 times
I had a bad big toe injury,the toe nail was lifted off its base. It was painful, but I just soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide and warm water. I then pulled it off, gently. You will want the toenail to grow back right ,so a clean base will be needed.

As others have mentioned, Podiatrist for pain relief, and toenail trimming.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:55 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,256,327 times
Day 22 - Update:

After two days at the beach with salt water and sand, the nail was barely hanging on and when I gave it a gentle tug, it came completely off.

The skin underneath is tender - not painful, but tender and it feel better to keep it covered with a fabric like bandaid. It reminds me of a naked baby...

Sounds like my next update will be sometime in 2019 when I get a new nail! Thanks everyone for your advice!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 PM

9,152 posts, read 6,335,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Day 22 - Update:

After two days at the beach with salt water and sand, the nail was barely hanging on and when I gave it a gentle tug, it came completely off.

The skin underneath is tender - not painful, but tender and it feel better to keep it covered with a fabric like bandaid. It reminds me of a naked baby...

Sounds like my next update will be sometime in 2019 when I get a new nail! Thanks everyone for your advice!
So let us know when it happens, ok?

Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM

2,388 posts, read 640,871 times
I ran the Portland Marathon in 1993. Both big toenails turned black and eventually fell off, but grew back normally. I think going up and then down the Steel Bridge did my toes no favor. Still one of my proud achievements.

Now days I try to walk 5 to 6 miles a day.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:05 AM

14,507 posts, read 11,489,335 times
I damaged mine about five years ago when my foot got dragged by a moving car.. it wasnt painful at the time but later the nail stopped growing out but rather got thicker.. I kept filing it now and again as it was a nuisance inside shoes ... it finally fell off leaving a small piece at the bed.... but I was happy. and got used to the bare nail feel after a few days... but it has never grown in properly since.. and even now I have half a toenail.. Ive used different lotions to try and make it grow normal again but its no use... I think Ill have to hide this nail forever in closed in shoes.. its not really a big deal , could be worse.. but I hate anyone seeing my feet now.. and wear socks or slippers in the house... my case might be different though and wish you all the luck when yours grows back in....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness