U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:26 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,462,036 times

Advertisements

I used to have problems getting to bed when I slept with my ex-partner. We ended up sleeping in separate bedrooms and that worked for us. I was concerned when I met my husband that it would be the same way. Surprisingly I found that my sleep problems have almost all but gone away; sometimes I'll still need my ear plugs in like last night, but I will generally lay down with a book and be asleep within 10 or 15 minutes, lots of time much less than that. He snores too like my ex-partner, can't recall which is worse, but for some reason it's not as much as a problem to me now as it was before.

I also did have much worse anxiety until about a year or so ago and had to take something to sleep nearly every night. Now it's quite the opposite so it will be occasionally I'll take something to get to bed, maybe on average once or twice a week when it used to be a few times a month when I didn't need something to get to bed. I actually find that I want to stay awake and read more, but I'll generally find myself falling asleep way too soon while reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 05:28 AM

1,500 posts, read 597,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Alone or otherwise is in the header.

Well, I am a widow so I sleep alone (no one breaking down my door wanting to date me!). I miss having someone to sleep with though - I always thought one of the best parts of marriage was someone to sleep with, and I mean that in the most literal way - another warm body in the bed. Cozy.

I should say, I miss having my husband to sleep with. I don't mean to imply just anyone would do.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 AM

1,958 posts, read 1,436,042 times
Been divorced almost 6 years and I still do not sleep well at night.

My brother is visiting now so I feel safer. Will sleep better while he's here.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM

16,994 posts, read 5,421,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I often had trouble sleeping well, until I met a woman, who was together with me for several years. I always slept like a baby with her, no matter where we were-----even in a sleeping bag, while camping. We had a cat with whom we had a dear, mutual love, that often slept with us, under the covers, next to our feet. We all got a regular 8 hours, with no difficulties.
That's great for you...I"m the OPPOSITE...Love to sleep alone, no animals on my legs etc....so we are all unique humans. I just slept almost 10 restful hrs...hardly move during the night. I love my sleep supports which calm my body...

Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM

5,308 posts, read 3,159,167 times
Married for 21 years, and I don't find that being either alone or with my husband affects how fast I fall asleep or how well I sleep during the night. We are not the type to cuddle when sleeping; we have a king bed and we each take our own side. When the cats take up too much room and we end up crowded together, it's not comfortable. Little noises (heavy breathing, etc.) used to bother me; now I use ear plugs and it's no problem.

The only real difference is that when alone, I miss waking up and cuddling in the morning.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:43 PM

441 posts, read 155,209 times
My husband has his own room. He will usually stay with me until I either fall asleep or kick him out. He is a snorer and I am a light sleeper. I only get about 5 or 6 hours of broken sleep most nights.

I would love to be able to sleep with him, but it's too stressful.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:08 PM

9,059 posts, read 10,807,125 times
I love sleeping on the couch......it is broken in perfectly! Put something I have already seen on cable and I'm done within 5 minutes. Can't watch regular TV because the commercials tend to be "amped up" for sound and while the regular program is softer noise the commercials always seem to wake me.

Master bedroom has an AC unit about 10 ft from the side of the bed so in the summer it seems that thing runs all night and if it wakes me up that is all I can hear!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:15 PM

4,461 posts, read 1,946,141 times
As a wee Lil one in a brode of 7, many a night us kids clamored into my mom's bed and snuggled like lost kittens. Come morning we had every ache imaginable..I reckon we kicked around a lot. This would set the stage for sleeping habits. My poor hubby would be found on the floors some times from my flopping around. It took some time... ( and two kids) to get in a patern of curling up in a ball to keep from harming anyone....I regretted those ' in sleep' antics. Been divorced now well over 27 years and single all thru it. As I age...I've been granted back into a horrid sleep pattern...night jerks so to speak. Where muscles sporadically move and jerks me from sleep. It's scary as its primarily involuntary. So rest or 'rem' sleep is rarely achieved. My doctor did give me a mild sedative...yet that intensified the muscle jerks...
I'm half worried when at 'rest' since the results creep up on me and I have to endure them til they subside. I wouldn't wish this on a companion. It is not a pretty sight for a lady ... meditation, yoga, keeping active have done nothing to stop this antic. People think I am making this up but...living with it tells a tale. Wish I could have a somber rest...with someone by me or not....

Old 05-11-2018, 04:30 PM

16,994 posts, read 5,421,486 times
I've been getting those "jerks" since the knee infection mess I went thru. And the knee clean out the MD's did...before that never the jerks. I just rub my foot and get back to sleep. I take a nice sleep combo that keeps me in good sleep otherwise. I have the combo in Alt Med in case anyone is interested.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:45 PM

809 posts, read 916,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I often had trouble sleeping well, until I met a woman, who was together with me for several years. I always slept like a baby with her, no matter where we were-----even in a sleeping bag, while camping. We had a cat with whom we had a dear, mutual love, that often slept with us, under the covers, next to our feet. We all got a regular 8 hours, with no difficulties.
I have noticed that about myself as well, and I never could quite understand it. Logically, it would seem that one would _always_ sleep better alone, though I suppose I could see where being with someone else would make it easier to fall asleep..perhaps a comforting factor of there being someone else there? But the actual sleeping part still seems like it would happen...better? while alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or