U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM

5,552 posts, read 6,827,609 times

Advertisements

I've slept with my husband for about 36 years now. I sleep better with him as long as it's a queen size mattress or larger. We have a king at home. I grew up near train tracks so just learned to sleep through anything. He used to snore. It rarely woke me. He's used a C-pap for 15 years or so now. I call it my white noise machine. Maybe it has something to do with sharing a room with one of my sisters for 10 years. Most nights I'll sleep 7-8 hours. Occasionally I'll wake up and not be able to fall back to sleep. No rhyme or reason for it.

On the occasions when he's had to travel overnight, I sleep horribly and tend to keep the television on all night. When I've had to travel overnight I also don't sleep well. I guess I just like putting my cold feet on his warm legs
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 PM

3,717 posts, read 1,616,711 times
Iím in separate bedrooms. His idea, donít know why & never cared to ask. Itís kind of a moot point, though.

I have to sleep with my Autistic 14 year old. Heís an ďEloperĒ & wandering to water is the leading cause of death for children with Autism. I used to sleep in a recliner about 6 feet from the front door.

Until the day the neighbor knocked on the door at about 430 am. He had gotten around me & out the door. They found him in their living room playing with their dog. Right outside their back porch was a 40 ft. sheer cliff drop into a creek. So, no more recliner.

Itís a king size bed but heís bigger than me & will crowd me right off the edge so I stay squeezed on the edge in an awkward position. For about 2 months he was waking up every night around 230 & wandering out of the bedroom. Except he would be angry & disoriented, crashing into things on purpose & knocking them around everywhere. When he started landing on top of me & head butting me I had to hang up windchimes in the room as an ďearly warning systemĒ.

Started using his weighted blanket (no, not to pin him down)again & heís improved quite a bit. Psychologicaly speaking, heís got me trained so I canít fall asleep until after the potential 2am ambush time has passed, so I donít get much sleep. Havenít for years.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM

3,896 posts, read 3,245,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've slept with my husband for about 36 years now. I sleep better with him as long as it's a queen size mattress or larger. We have a king at home. I grew up near train tracks so just learned to sleep through anything. He used to snore. It rarely woke me. He's used a C-pap for 15 years or so now. I call it my white noise machine. Maybe it has something to do with sharing a room with one of my sisters for 10 years. Most nights I'll sleep 7-8 hours. Occasionally I'll wake up and not be able to fall back to sleep. No rhyme or reason for it.

On the occasions when he's had to travel overnight, I sleep horribly and tend to keep the television on all night. When I've had to travel overnight I also don't sleep well. I guess I just like putting my cold feet on his warm legs
I also grew up near train (freight) tracks, 3 doors from our home and it must have been the 'sweetest' of noises because the trains have their own consistent rhythm while rolling through. The whole family slept very well.

Widowed so I've become accustomed to sleeping alone and some nights I am able to sleep 7 hours. The few nights when I can't stay asleep I have my computer on the nightstand with my own freight trains. This works very well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVTXSntnA0

Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 PM

7,851 posts, read 7,205,285 times
I cannot sleep without my husband.

We have a king memory foam, with frette linens, a goose down comforter, my walls are painted chocolate brown and I have black out shades. I turn the AC in my home down to 60 degrees. No TV, no noise.

My husband sleeps with a face mask on and ear plugs.

My bedroom is a cave and my bed is my sanctuary. We sleep 8-10 hours a night.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:33 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,082,917 times
No human contact at all. If I hear even light breathing it keeps me up. I also sleep with a white noise loop playing on my ipod, ear plugs, and sleep mask. I recently added a hair net. It ain't pretty but if I don't sleep right my body is a wreck.

I am so jealous of people that can sleep anywhere.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:39 AM

1,140 posts, read 571,268 times
I get my best sleep with someone. As a kid i shared a room with siblings, most of the time a bunch of us to a bed, sometimes just me and my sister. After a while I got my own cot and i liked it. Nobody kicking me in the face or hogging the blankets lol. Some of my best naps have been calming down my baby nephew and putting him on my chest as we both napped together.

living alone was so weird that way. not sharing space with anyone. I love whenever my guy sleeps over. I just love having someone else to sleep with. Its so comforting I'm a weenie and I'm scared of the dark (lol) so when hes around I can actually turn off the lamp and sleep in the complete dark, which makes me sleep better

my dog is a little bed bug. he looooves getting under the blankets and snoozing away lol

Old 05-12-2018, 07:41 AM

1,140 posts, read 571,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I cannot sleep without my husband.

We have a king memory foam, with frette linens, a goose down comforter, my walls are painted chocolate brown and I have black out shades. I turn the AC in my home down to 60 degrees. No TV, no noise.

My husband sleeps with a face mask on and ear plugs.

My bedroom is a cave and my bed is my sanctuary. We sleep 8-10 hours a night.
Wow I'm so jealous of your room. Lol that set up sounds amazing! Especially that bed and comforter

Old 05-12-2018, 08:44 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,442,656 times
For years my spouse and I slept together. The older I got, the less I could tolerate his snoring, tossing and turning and him pulling the covers. When the kids moved out and we had extra bedrooms, we started sleeping separately.

I just need peace and quiet when I sleep.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Status: "Meat to Tickyul is like gold to a Human!!!" (set 19 days ago)

14,675 posts, read 14,750,289 times
Yes, I think a lot of couples would benefit from having separate rooms/sleeping areas.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:38 AM

16,979 posts, read 5,415,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I get my best sleep with someone. As a kid i shared a room with siblings, most of the time a bunch of us to a bed, sometimes just me and my sister. After a while I got my own cot and i liked it. Nobody kicking me in the face or hogging the blankets lol. Some of my best naps have been calming down my baby nephew and putting him on my chest as we both napped together.

living alone was so weird that way. not sharing space with anyone. I love whenever my guy sleeps over. I just love having someone else to sleep with. Its so comforting I'm a weenie and I'm scared of the dark (lol) so when hes around I can actually turn off the lamp and sleep in the complete dark, which makes me sleep better

my dog is a little bed bug. he looooves getting under the blankets and snoozing away lol
As people get older, there is much less we tolerate and being kept awake while trying to sleep is a big one. I think you have all that to look forward to as I believe you are one of our younger members. Sleep is healing and many of us have bodies that need a lot of healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or