U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:58 PM

18,152 posts, read 5,884,882 times

Advertisements

Just hearing Dr. Drew and his co host on this subject and for me it's a no brainer...I sleep alone and have been for mega years. I'm not married and it's been so long I don't remember how it even was with a husband. I was young and sleeping with husband was a given/rule.

Now with boyfriends over the years, some of the worst sleep was with another human. Forget the animals, I can't imagine.

My parents after many yrs of marriage finally went to separate rooms...mom took the other bedroom and slept like a log for years....dad's snoring would shake the house.

I sleep with no TV, no electronics and as dark as I can have the room. I get a pretty good 8-10 hrs nightly.

Thoughts...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-10-2018 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:17 PM

27,011 posts, read 17,352,333 times
It would feel weird to sleep without DH. Both of us are crummy sleepers, but the other one doesn't really add to it. We both like a cold, dark room to sleep in. We have a king sized memory foam, so if the other is tossing and turning we don't notice it.

We do use electronics in bed. I read, but set the device to black background so not too much light pollution. Sometimes I will watch a show on my laptop with headphones in.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 05-10-2018, 04:18 PM

10,826 posts, read 18,655,878 times
I usually sleep half the night on the couch, sitting up with my legs on the ottoman, then the other half of the night I sleep in my bed. I get hives on my face and neck sleeping in the bed, from the heat of my body against the mattress and pillow. (youngest daughter does too, it's just something weird that we've both got) Sleeping the first half of the night on the couch helps with that. Our bedroom has blackout curtains and a ceiling fan and a big stand fan, so it's dark and cool, the best way to sleep. The living room is not as dark but it doesn't matter to me.

My husband sleeps in the bed the whole night. I've got him trained though, he sticks to his 1/3 of the bed and doesn't roll around or snore.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:35 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,780,556 times
I toss and turn a lot. I used to think it was just as I was falling into sleep, but according to my husband, it's all night long. Our sleep ritual works better when I go to bed first and fall asleep before he comes in. We do have a Tempurpedic, so the tossing and turning doesn't bother him that much, but when we are traveling, it can be a problem. No TV in our bedroom and no reading in bed either. He likes it much cooler in the room than I do, so there's a bit of playing around with the thermostat on both our parts.

We often get hotel rooms with 2 doubles when available. We seem to get our best sleep that way if we are away from home.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 PM

1,622 posts, read 656,499 times
I sleep well if I have been physically active during the day. Dark curtains help, and a fan if there is outside noise. When all else fails, 2.5 mg valium.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 PM

18,152 posts, read 5,884,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I sleep well if I have been physically active during the day. Dark curtains help, and a fan if there is outside noise. When all else fails, 2.5 mg valium.
Alone or otherwise is in the header.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM

3,938 posts, read 3,004,089 times
I was sleeping better when my husband traveled, but we recently got a latex foam king sized bed that makes it so we don’t touch while sleeping and if one of us moves, the other doesn’t feel it. I e been sleeping much better!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 PM

15,489 posts, read 29,078,615 times
My husband snores so loud it is ear-shattering. I always sleep better when and if I can get to sleep before he does. That is not always the case.

I have not slept alone in more than 20 years. I am not sure that the peace and quiet would be worth the feeling of being alone. I just wish I didn't have to hear that horrible noise.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 PM

15,150 posts, read 9,442,926 times
I've been single for the past 20 years, so I have gotten very used to sleeping alone in a queen sized bed. I can stretch out any way I want. However, our two cats do sleep with me, and they love to snuggle up to my legs, so that does make me have to be a little contained so that I don't disturb them. ( after all, I am their servant )

I also do not like it quiet at night, so I run a loud fan in the room and also the overhead ceiling fan. If it is too quiet, I can't sleep.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:25 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,138,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just hearing Dr. Drew and his co host on this subject and for me it's a no brainer...I sleep alone and have been for mega years. I'm not married and it's been so long I don't remember how it even was with a husband. I was young and sleeping with husband was a given/rule.

Now with boyfriends over the years, some of the worst sleep was with another human. Forget the animals, I can't imagine.

My parents after many yrs of marriage finally went to separate rooms...mom took the other bedroom and slept like a log for years....dad's snoring would shake the house.

I sleep with no TV, no electronics and as dark as I can have the room. I get a pretty good 8-10 hrs nightly.

Thoughts...

I often had trouble sleeping well, until I met a woman, who was together with me for several years. I always slept like a baby with her, no matter where we were-----even in a sleeping bag, while camping. We had a cat with whom we had a dear, mutual love, that often slept with us, under the covers, next to our feet. We all got a regular 8 hours, with no difficulties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or