U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 10:38 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,151,875 times

Advertisements

Don't laugh, I'm not going crazy. This noise comes on suddenly sometimes just like someone flicks a switch and starts a motor. Then the noise drones and rumbles on and on for days on end and then stops for some unknown reason. I don't know what to think of it. Anyone else have anything like that. I don't think its tinnitus because I have had tinnitus for many years and this sound doesn't seem to be coming from the anatomy of my hearing structure. It seems to be coming from my head. The noise is especially bothersome at night when everything is so quiete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
779 posts, read 224,591 times
Is it only in your right ear?

If so the solar cell could be slightly out of alignment for your print and picking up the DTS timecode as audio. It *does* happen sometimes. You're not running a Christie basement soundhead by chance, are you?

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Former projectionist here. Sometimes you'd get a bad print struck with the DTS code too close to the right analog track and it would sound like a car engine idling continuously in the background, and sometimes not very far in the background.)

Last edited by Ttark; 05-14-2018 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 11:10 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
Have you been on any new medication or supplements? I took a medication once that gave me weird ringing in my ears.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:16 AM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I don't think its tinnitus because I have had tinnitus for many years and this sound doesn't seem to be coming from the anatomy of my hearing structure.
Did you know that deaf people can have tinnitus? "Tinnitus is a sensorineural reaction in the brain to damage in the ear and auditory system."

https://www.ata.org/understanding-facts/causes

Old 05-14-2018, 11:23 AM

1,358 posts, read 652,296 times
Quote:
Don't laugh, I'm not going crazy. This noise comes on suddenly sometimes just like someone flicks a switch and starts a motor. Then the noise drones and rumbles on and on for days on end and then stops for some unknown reason. I don't know what to think of it. Anyone else have anything like that. I don't think its tinnitus because I have had tinnitus for many years and this sound doesn't seem to be coming from the anatomy of my hearing structure. It seems to be coming from my head. The noise is especially bothersome at night when everything is so quiete.
At night when it's quiet in the house, I sometimes hear what sounds like a diesel engine idling outside. The first time noticed it, I assumed the neighbors had a generator running, but it went on night after night, and then I realized that it's in my head.

I do have tinnitus, and this engine idling sound is just one of many noises that my brain produces for its entertainment and my annoyance.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 AM

3,267 posts, read 2,336,935 times
I had a strange noise, kind of like the washer during a spin cycle, during 2-3 weeks after my dad passed away. It came and went at random times. I googled it and found it could be stress related, so I guess it was. Haven't had it since.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 PM

2,746 posts, read 3,916,254 times
A sinus infection can make you hear crackling noises in your head.

See a doctor to find out what is the cause.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Quote:
Does the top of your head also hurt sometimes? More like it was inside the skull? I had a horrible attack of this a year ago. I went to ER. They did a chest xray and abdominal CAT scan and said they found nothing. Of course not. It was in my head!

My neighbor had better luck with hers. Her doctor sent her to a neurologist. He knows where the brain is. :-) She has an appointment and we both wait eagerly to hear his diagnosis.

Meanwhile, the suggestion that you check out your meds is a good one. Sometimes a certain med - or a failure to take a dose, even - can be the cause, I'm told.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or