U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 PM

40,817 posts, read 32,523,329 times

Advertisements

OK, so long story short, I have a TFCC tear in my wrist (the meningus in a wrist) and I opted for a cast and cortisone shot for 4 weeks mostly because I am otherwise very healthy and so is my wrist in general and hopefully we can avoid surgery which has an 80 percent success rate. The jury's out but that's where I am today - a big honking hot pink cast but it's below the elbow and my left arm so things could definitely be worse. Four weeks of purgatory. Not hell, because it could be a lot worse but definitely purgatory. For instance, typing is a real pain.

The cast is hot, uncomfortable, and restricting. It is what it is.

Anyway, so tonight I took my first bath with the cast, and also did the whole undressing, dressing, deodorant, personal hygiene thing. UGH. What a pain in the arse - or arm, or whatever.

I realized that claustrophobia really is illogical - why do I have a hard time breathing if I think about my arm being so constricted? It makes no logical sense.

I tried sitting outside on my patio chilling and talking with family but dang, it's super hot and uncomfortable. So that sucks now.

So...as I struggled with bathing and dressing and all that good stuff, I suddenly realized, life is what you make of it. I can focus on the frustrations, or focus on problem solving. I am in it for the long haul - at least a year recovery time no matter what, so I can either be frustrated and hot and angry or I can be creative and positive.

There are ways to do things - ways I'm not used to but they can be done. It's my challenge to find them, embrace them even, and just drive on.

If you've struggled with a physical limitation, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,959,353 times
I was dx'd when I was 11 with juvenile arthritis and learned to live with that pain. Unfortunately, things continued to go downhill when I was an adult. After my first stroke at 29, I was struggling with pain and my new physical realities and was so depressed.

I was snapping at everyone, including my young children. I finally realized that if I continued to feel sorry for myself and kept being a ugly I would be left quite alone.

Physically, things went from bad to worse and I am still depressed (now I am 52), but I know how special the people in my life are, I appreciate my family and do my very best to remember that they love me and I return that love and devotion. I treat my Drs and other medical personnel with respect and kindness and get it back in return.

I hope you get better soon. Casts are a pain in the butt and with the weather turning got they are very uncomfortable. A trick I've learned is to take a hairdryer, turn the setting to cool and blow the air down (or up) your cast. Alternatively, canned air for electronics may also provide some relief.

I think that you are approaching the situation with a terrific attitude and that it will ultimately make things much easier for you. On the bright side, you will become quite the contortionist!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 PM

19,619 posts, read 53,354,626 times
I damaged both my lumbar and cervical spine at age 40. Now 76. For a while after my lumbar fusion, it was good but then the rest of my spine started to deteriorate. I try to isolate myself when I am really down and try to find ways to do things anyways. Always an adaptation of some sort! I still work PT 2 days a week to keep myself socialized. Sometimes I have to remind myself that whatever it is, it is better than the alternative (being dead). I still enjoy work, my family, reading, and my garden.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 AM

366 posts, read 175,209 times
It's hard when something going on with your body makes it difficult to do ordinary things you could always do before. You realize how much you took for granted in the simplest of things. Kathryn, you have always shown a great deal of strength and patience, that's just who you are. This, too, shall pass...

Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM

40,817 posts, read 32,523,329 times
What great thoughts and stories and thank you for the encouragement!

I slept fine with this stupid thing on - I mean, I woke up a couple of times hot or uncomfortable but went right back to sleep. Things could be SO MUCH WORSE as some of these stories attest to.

I broke this wrist once before and it was a lot more painful so there's that right there. I was a kid then back in about 1972 or so and we didn't have cool casts back then - just big white honking casts! So there's another positive - at least mine is pretty pink and I'm going to go get an applique of a fleur de lis or something like that and put it on there today!

I know it has to weigh at least half a pound and I still managed to lose over a pound when I got on the scales this morning so yay! I'm trying to lose 25 pounds and at least I can still walk and get outside and get exercise! So many people with injuries can't do that.

This is not nearly as bad as when I tore my Achilles tendon and was non weight bearing for a month. Now THAT is a pain in the butt! Crutches - AUGH!

I already feel better about things - more resigned and also more grateful for medical advances and options. So many conditions CAN be fixed. For instance, my brother just went through hell with pancreatic cancer. Now that is often a death sentence. But the treatment they were able to give him has a 98 percent success rate. That's HUGE. I mean, when we found out a year ago, I thought my brother was going to die. But he tolerated the chemo well and surgery and he looks great and is feeling back to normal. THAT is amazing but he went through a lot for a year.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM

1,643 posts, read 680,194 times
It helps to know the cast is temporary. So many have limitations that aren't. I have scoliosis and have always been careful of how much I carry/lift. It was a challenge when our kids were babies and I couldn't stand hold and comfort, everything had to be done sitting down. Changing diapers was where they were not carrying them over to a changing table. Back in those days there were many nights I couldn't sleep because my back wouldn't relax. Overtired. Something.

It's never been an issue for me, I do what I can and know when I do too much. I think it's good to know your limits and what you can accomplish and work towards realistic goals. It doesn't hurt to ask for help, either.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:19 PM

18,569 posts, read 6,046,464 times
Resignation...some things just can't be changed so we have to resign and accept.

I've learned to live with a walker now due to advanced OA and a sloppy hip replacement which caused more body issues. And the recent knee mess. I work to do NOT a knee replacement as fear things could be worse...and all I hear it takes a LOT of rehab with that surgery.

So we do our best and thank goodness my immune system is strong.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:52 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,994,315 times
Honking cast? Makes noise? Yeah, that'd irritate the hell out of me too.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:30 AM

69,145 posts, read 79,264,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, so long story short, I have a TFCC tear in my wrist (the meningus in a wrist) and I opted for a cast and cortisone shot for 4 weeks mostly because I am otherwise very healthy and so is my wrist in general and hopefully we can avoid surgery which has an 80 percent success rate. The jury's out but that's where I am today - a big honking hot pink cast but it's below the elbow and my left arm so things could definitely be worse. Four weeks of purgatory. Not hell, because it could be a lot worse but definitely purgatory. For instance, typing is a real pain.

The cast is hot, uncomfortable, and restricting. It is what it is.

Anyway, so tonight I took my first bath with the cast, and also did the whole undressing, dressing, deodorant, personal hygiene thing. UGH. What a pain in the arse - or arm, or whatever.

I realized that claustrophobia really is illogical - why do I have a hard time breathing if I think about my arm being so constricted? It makes no logical sense.

I tried sitting outside on my patio chilling and talking with family but dang, it's super hot and uncomfortable. So that sucks now.

So...as I struggled with bathing and dressing and all that good stuff, I suddenly realized, life is what you make of it. I can focus on the frustrations, or focus on problem solving. I am in it for the long haul - at least a year recovery time no matter what, so I can either be frustrated and hot and angry or I can be creative and positive.

There are ways to do things - ways I'm not used to but they can be done. It's my challenge to find them, embrace them even, and just drive on.

If you've struggled with a physical limitation, what are your thoughts?
much like what you are saying: learn to adjust and be glad to be able to do things many can not. As I age, my body lets me know there are things I absolutely can not do. Instead of dwelling on what I no longer can do I concentrate on what I can still do. Oh sure, I get frustrated from time to time and I hate hurting, but I do my very best. I think the very hardest was accepting I could get down on the floor, but getting up was a challenge. Now I only get down when there is no other option. This year, I had to go to all raised veggie containers for growing fresh produce. I did sit down on the first step of our porch a few days ago to do some planting but after not being sure if I could get up again, I have decided no more of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or