U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:07 PM

29,671 posts, read 47,382,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The bad thing about eating healthy is that it makes you very farty.
Really?

Then you are doing it wrong.

If your stomach enzymes can not digest what you eat, maybe you need to shift your stomach enzymes away from dairy-online enzymes?

Often I hear folks recommending this or that for it's 'probiotic' content.

Commonly the products recommended only contain one of the many probiotic agents [Lactobacillus acidophilus].

The problem that I see is Lactobacillus acidophilus's only focus is to digest milk. If milk is 100% of your diet then great. But what if you eat things other than milk?

There are many other probiotics available.

For example I have taken these:
Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus fermentum
Lactobacillus plantarum
Aspergillus oryzae
Bacillus subtilis
Bifidobacterium longum
Enterococcus Faecium
Saccharomyces cerevisiac
Streptococcus faecium

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 PM

797 posts, read 372,119 times
Theres a good docu on netflix called magic Pill. Its about keto

Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM

6,150 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have been trying to tell people that for ages. Don't worry about all those things doctors say you shouldn't have, like red meat, eggs, cheese, butter. They are natural and healthy, in moderation.

Most of the time, the real problem is refined sugar, which is in almost everything. Also, lack of natural fiber.

Refined sugar goes right into the blood, can overwhelm the cells especially if the person is not physically active (and most Americans are not). This leads to metabolic syndrome, chronic inflammation, diabetes 2, heart disease, cancer, dementia, etc. Basically everything you don't want you can get from refined sugar.

Probably similar for refined white flour, and alcohol. Too much of those, with too little fiber and too little exercise, leads to the modern diseases.

Meanwhile, the grocery store is still selling low fat yogurt full of sugar. And people think that will make them healthy.

This. Sugar has been my main problem all my life. I used to eat something with refined sugar every day! It's now an occasional treat, that I usually schedule. Every holiday, I plan to get my favorite candy for that holiday (the valentine sugar hearts with writing on them, the orange fondue-type pumpkins at Halloween, etc.). Other than that, I try to stay away. Although I do break down now and then and buy a lollipop or marshmallows (Yes, I have juvenile tastes in sugar; I'm not one for cakes or pies or things.)

The thing about sugar is...the more you eat it, the more you want to eat more of it. When I go a while w/o it, I lose the craving for it.

I rarely eat refined white flour foods. For me, it's high fiber whole grains almost always.

The result of this is that my lab numbers are low enough so that I'm not headed toward diabetes, which is so common these days. I also walk almost every day, which I think is helpful.

Stress is very harmful to health...I've been going through a lot of stress lately. I haven't found a way to handle that yet. I'm a high strung person, anyway (though I've always had normal blood pressure).
Maybe try meditation? (I tried it once, and it scared me....it's all quiet, and I'm alone with my thoughts with no background noise...I found it frightening!)

As for that yogurt, YES, I was shocked when I read the label years ago for low fat or non fat yogurt, and saw it had a lot of sugar! So now I buy plain yogurt, & always read the label. I add no-sugar jam or such to it. Maybe a few nuts. It's delicious.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:47 AM

6,150 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The bad thing about eating healthy is that it makes you very farty.
It shouldn't.

When you change a diet, initially the body will go through a change while it adjusts. You know all the jokes about beans. Well, if you eat beans on a regular basis, they won't give you gas. Your body will become accustomed to them.

It's also possible that you are eating too much of something that gives gas. Dates and raisins are what I call nature's candy. Very sweet naturally, very high calorie so shouldn't eat a lot of them, and very digestion-intensive. Even eating some of them can give me digestion problems...they DO have a direct effect on the gut. But they have vitamins, minerals, and oxidants, and are good, generally, for the digestion system...in moderation. They are also VERY high in natural sugars.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:43 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,088,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Just what is the typical "American Diet"? Considering we have regional cuisines based on the immigrants that settled in different locations and still are to this day. Fast food crap doesn't count.
My guess is pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, fries... basically fast food, fast casual, or chain type foods.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:26 AM

18,539 posts, read 6,037,470 times
Foods that Heal, Foods that Kill.

Moderation

Old 05-17-2018, 11:21 AM

716 posts, read 211,679 times
food is a drug, whether you want to believe that or not, it's true, what you eat causes chemical changes in your body for good or for ill and the healthier you eat, the healthier you will be...... doctors are FINALLY able to admit that we need more research in nutrition rather than just prescribe a pill for the damage we do to our own selves

Old 05-17-2018, 11:53 AM

384 posts, read 197,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Me, too.

Eating healthy isn't fun or delectable. But it's now necessary, at my age, to feel my best.

I go back and forth. I eat pretty healthy, normally. But then I binge on something...no-sugar ice cream, or chips, or whatever. I gain a lot of weight immediately...those foods are super high in sodium, so I bloat up. My digestive system gets messed up, and I feel sluggish. My head feels not as happy...I think those foods do a number on the brain, too. Carb crash?

But then I go back to eating my normal but boring healthy way, and things get back to normal.

I do get gas and a messed up digestive system while eating healthy, though, if I eat too much of certain foods, like dried dates or raisins.

I do have one bad weakness I can't seem to give up: cheese. I try to limit it, since I can't seem to give it up. I use less if I buy the shredded variety and add it to salads or sandwiches.
Depends on your definition of healthy. I have eaten a low carb/keto way of eating for 14 years. I do not eat high carbs or sugars. But what I eat is far from boring or tasteless. With this way of eating, cheese is acceptable.

I just don't eat potatoes, rice, flour, bread, sugar or high carb fruits like raisens. But I can cook and love too. I make cheesecake with ground pecans and almonds for the crust, "real fat" cream cheese and never anything low fat.

I challenge you to watch "the magic pill" on Netflix. It is quite an eye opener.

BTW: I am 59, and very healthy with no medical issues whatsoever

Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM

4,609 posts, read 2,991,598 times
A hi carb diet beginning in my 40s markedly improved my blood chemistry. And yes that includes the evil white foods like white bread and potatoes. And dare I say it: lots of salt.

This has certainly been an improvement over the days when I believed it necessary for someone with a serious weightlifting hobby to gorge on eggs, meat, dairy and otherwise hi animal protein, hi fat diet.

Guess we're all different. Who could've imagined.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:27 PM

26,841 posts, read 28,054,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
The bad thing about eating healthy I am learning is when you take a break from healthy foods and eat processed/junk food, man does it not sit well in your stomach.

For the past few weeks I have really changed up my diet, eating extremely healthy, little to no sugar, high fiber, lots of vegetables, protein, fruits, nuts, grains. That has been all I have been eating. In those three weeks my digestive system felt fantastic, stools were a gold standard. My digestive system was running like a well oiled machine.

Last week I had to go to a summit for the company I work for where we were give breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food while good, was more processed and junk like. They had salad but the salad was weak. So for three days I ate that food. Then for Mother's day the food naturally was not the best either. Since I started eating at the summit, I have been so uncomfortable. My stools are not consistent, I have a lot of gas here and there, feel bloated and not so much in pain, but stomach feels uncomfortable.

It's really makes you realize after eating so healthy how food really impacts your body and can make a total difference.
Yup, 100%

I feel really crappy after too many processed foods and not enough fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or