Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:52 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times

Advertisements

The bad thing about eating healthy I am learning is when you take a break from healthy foods and eat processed/junk food, man does it not sit well in your stomach.

For the past few weeks I have really changed up my diet, eating extremely healthy, little to no sugar, high fiber, lots of vegetables, protein, fruits, nuts, grains. That has been all I have been eating. In those three weeks my digestive system felt fantastic, stools were a gold standard. My digestive system was running like a well oiled machine.

Last week I had to go to a summit for the company I work for where we were give breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food while good, was more processed and junk like. They had salad but the salad was weak. So for three days I ate that food. Then for Mother's day the food naturally was not the best either. Since I started eating at the summit, I have been so uncomfortable. My stools are not consistent, I have a lot of gas here and there, feel bloated and not so much in pain, but stomach feels uncomfortable.

It's really makes you realize after eating so healthy how food really impacts your body and can make a total difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
You are so right. People who eat the typical American diet have no idea how screwed up they are.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
You are so right. People who eat the typical American diet have no idea how screwed up they are.
Just what is the typical "American Diet"? Considering we have regional cuisines based on the immigrants that settled in different locations and still are to this day. Fast food crap doesn't count.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy? (especially since you were only eating "healthy" for a couple of weeks).

Just sayin'

Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
eating healthy ..has many shades...

sugar is the real food demon and carbs.... not meat not fats...

cancer cells grow in sugar...... i have a big sweet tooth i love traditional sweets....but in my seasoned years ive had to take a close look at where my health is and is going..... did a lot of research and the common denominator.....to me was sugars and carbs...

ive been off them(sugars..minimum carbs) .....for 8 months and never felt better my bloodwork is awesome and never had so much energy...and didn't even get a cold this winter....

Old 05-15-2018, 04:45 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Just what is the typical "American Diet"? Considering we have regional cuisines based on the immigrants that settled in different locations and still are to this day. Fast food crap doesn't count.
We didn't become a nation of metabolic, pre-diabetic axe-handle-fat-arses by celebrating "regional cuisines". No we did it one KFC, McDs, and Dominos at a time. OK here's a SWAG at the typical daily burden: 3000 calories, 5000+ mg sodium, 300+ g carbs, most of it from a container, bag, or a fast food joint.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
I always thought the bad thing about eating healthy is you don't get enough ice cream.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
The bad thing about eating healthy I am learning is when you take a break from healthy foods and eat processed/junk food, man does it not sit well in your stomach.

For the past few weeks I have really changed up my diet, eating extremely healthy, little to no sugar, high fiber, lots of vegetables, protein, fruits, nuts, grains. That has been all I have been eating. In those three weeks my digestive system felt fantastic, stools were a gold standard. My digestive system was running like a well oiled machine.

Last week I had to go to a summit for the company I work for where we were give breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food while good, was more processed and junk like. They had salad but the salad was weak. So for three days I ate that food. Then for Mother's day the food naturally was not the best either. Since I started eating at the summit, I have been so uncomfortable. My stools are not consistent, I have a lot of gas here and there, feel bloated and not so much in pain, but stomach feels uncomfortable.

It's really makes you realize after eating so healthy how food really impacts your body and can make a total difference.
Why I just bail on those meetings. Honestly, the only thing that powered me through a 60 pound weight loss was to take control. I maintained MY eating choices through the holidays, work functions. If a work function is a catered work function I will opt for my own food or make up an excuse not to go.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Me, too.

Eating healthy isn't fun or delectable. But it's now necessary, at my age, to feel my best.

I go back and forth. I eat pretty healthy, normally. But then I binge on something...no-sugar ice cream, or chips, or whatever. I gain a lot of weight immediately...those foods are super high in sodium, so I bloat up. My digestive system gets messed up, and I feel sluggish. My head feels not as happy...I think those foods do a number on the brain, too. Carb crash?

But then I go back to eating my normal but boring healthy way, and things get back to normal.

I do get gas and a messed up digestive system while eating healthy, though, if I eat too much of certain foods, like dried dates or raisins.

I do have one bad weakness I can't seem to give up: cheese. I try to limit it, since I can't seem to give it up. I use less if I buy the shredded variety and add it to salads or sandwiches.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:44 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
eating healthy ..has many shades...

sugar is the real food demon and carbs.... not meat not fats...

cancer cells grow in sugar...... i have a big sweet tooth i love traditional sweets....but in my seasoned years ive had to take a close look at where my health is and is going..... did a lot of research and the common denominator.....to me was sugars and carbs...

ive been off them(sugars..minimum carbs) .....for 8 months and never felt better my bloodwork is awesome and never had so much energy...and didn't even get a cold this winter....
I have been trying to tell people that for ages. Don't worry about all those things doctors say you shouldn't have, like red meat, eggs, cheese, butter. They are natural and healthy, in moderation.

Most of the time, the real problem is refined sugar, which is in almost everything. Also, lack of natural fiber.

Refined sugar goes right into the blood, can overwhelm the cells especially if the person is not physically active (and most Americans are not). This leads to metabolic syndrome, chronic inflammation, diabetes 2, heart disease, cancer, dementia, etc. Basically everything you don't want you can get from refined sugar.

Probably similar for refined white flour, and alcohol. Too much of those, with too little fiber and too little exercise, leads to the modern diseases.

Meanwhile, the grocery store is still selling low fat yogurt full of sugar. And people think that will make them healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness