Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,396,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am 56 and in great shape and I LOVE pasta and sourdough bread, and potatoes and white rice! OMG I cannot believe I do not have diabetes yet.

People are obese because they OVEREAT crappy food. Of course if someone is pre diabetic or has diabetes they need to cut out the simple carbs. And an obese person would be advised to go low carb in order to lose weight.

I would love to see and end to these blanket statements that demonize food groups and assumptions that everyone needs to do the same thing.
That is true, there are different types of people. Some can't tolerate refined carbohydrates at all.

The scientific research averages most people together, so it isn't that helpful. We're sort of stuck trying to figure it out for ourselves.

But I think almost anyone would get sick from practically living on soft drinks and energy drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I will add that your activity level will have a big effect on how you use sugar. I read once that white rice was a 100 on a scale going to 100. A healthy diet with eating in moderation is what is good for everyone.
Yes I think the activity level is critical. Taking in a lot of refined carbohydrates, and not using them, is the biggest danger. And, sadly, that is what so many Americans do.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have been getting less tolerant for sugar. I never was crazy about it, but I like dessert sometimes.

I think they put way too much in most of the cookies, etc., you can buy in the store.

As for why you are pre-diabetic in spite of doing everything right -- there must be a reason, and it can't be entirely genetic.

Yes, it can be, unfortunately. I am collecting auto immune problems. Meds do wonders, and will have to do until they learn more about auto immune problems.

I agree with you on the store bought cookies and such, I find them unpleasantly sweet. Don't get me wrong, I will happily dig into a well prepared dark chocolate mousse and such. We had a sample platter of desserts while in wine country, and they were some of the best "sweets" I've had.... primarily because they were not overly sweet and were just one bite of each, which was perfect.

It is frustrating though, to eat as well as I do, and still end up with problems.

But as far as Type 2 goes, my blood sugar is too high even when coming out of a 16 hour fast, so it's not the food, though that can make it worse.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I agree, but I think the poster you quoted was referring to those who STUFF themselves with those foods. I eat all the foods you do, but don't "stuff." And I exercise every single day and drink tons of water. I also like my daily glasses of wine. It is important to be happy, and it makes me happy to consume these foods.
I sort of feel that way. I have known health fanatics who worry about everything they eat. It all has to be organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, perfectly natural. It must be almost a full time job, shopping and cooking everything from scratch.

I decided I don't want to live that way, constantly worrying about food. And I have not seen any definite evidence that it makes a difference.

I was going to a holistic doctor for a while, and was told I had to do that. So I did, for several months, and it made no difference at all in how I felt. So screw it.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, it can be, unfortunately. I am collecting auto immune problems. Meds do wonders, and will have to do until they learn more about auto immune problems.

I agree with you on the store bought cookies and such, I find them unpleasantly sweet. Don't get me wrong, I will happily dig into a well prepared dark chocolate mousse and such. We had a sample platter of desserts while in wine country, and they were some of the best "sweets" I've had.... primarily because they were not overly sweet and were just one bite of each, which was perfect.

It is frustrating though, to eat as well as I do, and still end up with problems.

But as far as Type 2 goes, my blood sugar is too high even when coming out of a 16 hour fast, so it's not the food, though that can make it worse.
Auto-immune disorders are mostly still a mystery. Type 2 diabetes is, I guess, to some extent auto-immune, or can be.

My immune system isn't the greatest either, as for allergies, etc. There are some things a good lifestyle doesn't cure. However, it would all probably be much worse with a bad lifestyle.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I agree, but I think the poster you quoted was referring to those who STUFF themselves with those foods. I eat all the foods you do, but don't "stuff." And I exercise every single day and drink tons of water. I also like my daily glasses of wine. It is important to be happy, and it makes me happy to consume these foods.
Wine is non negotiable - quality of life is important.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wine is non negotiable - quality of life is important.
Wine is a health food and I do my best to be health conscious!!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,136,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

From what I understand, fasting blood sugar test shows your long term blood sugar levels. And that is why PP test is done to understand the immediate response of your body to sugars.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
From what I understand, fasting blood sugar test shows your long term blood sugar levels. And that is why PP test is done to understand the immediate response of your body to sugars.
I believe that is the A1C test. But I'm still in the learning stages of this. I've been staying "pre-" for awhile.

My problem with the PP test is I have had gastroparesis for a decade, so that throws off my numbers.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 AM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The scientific research averages most people together, so it isn't that helpful.
No, that is not the way scientific medical research is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
The test that measures long-term levels is the HbA1c: hemoglobin A1c.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide...bin-test-hba1c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness