U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM

2,033 posts, read 604,966 times

Advertisements

Just wondered about this. According to things I have read, the problem with refined sugar is that it goes into the blood very quickly, because it has no fiber. Sugar in its natural context, in fruit, is combined with fiber so it does not cause the damage that refined sugar can cause.

So, obviously, you should avoid high sugar soft drinks and energy drinks. They are the worst. But also everything made out of refined sugar and refined flour.

However, one book I read years ago said sugary food is ok, as long as you have it around the same time as healthy natural food.

So, by that theory, you can have desert every day without getting metabolic syndrome, diabetes, etc.

Parents used to tell their kids you can't have desert unless you eat dinner first. So that would make sense, if this theory is true.

Also, from things I read more recently, physical activity will use up a lot of the sugar that comes in, and help prevent the cells from being overwhelmed (becoming insulin resistant, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 12:48 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,270,630 times
If you don't have diabetes, eating sugar shouldn't hurt you. It doesn't "cause" diabetes...,but if you have diabetes or the proclivity to get it, it would be wise to abstain from not only cane sugar, but carbs in general.....bread, potatoes, etc...cause sugar levels to rise.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you don't have diabetes, eating sugar shouldn't hurt you. It doesn't "cause" diabetes...,but if you have diabetes or the proclivity to get it, it would be wise to abstain from not only cane sugar, but carbs in general.....bread, potatoes, etc...cause sugar levels to rise.
Eating too much refined sugar does cause type 2 diabetes, especially if combined with an inactive lifestyle.

Sugar itself is not the problem, it's sugar removed from its natural context, which would include fiber and nutrients.

Refined sugar is absolutely detrimental to health. But we know it's ok in natural food.

So my question is whether refined sugar, if eaten around the same time as natural healthy food, might be ok, in moderation.

I realize there is no definite answer to this, since scientific research has not been done on the question (or most other questions, for that matter). I just wondered if anyone else thought about it, or heard anything about it.

I eat "bad" stuff sometimes, but usually not in isolation. So just wondered if that's a good idea. Don't start the day with a donut and nothing else, for example. That would start the day off as an energy roller coaster.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:47 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,347,133 times
All I can say is from my own experience. When I eat something that is high in sugar, I can feel a spacey sensation almost immediately, similar to if I drink alcohol. I have never felt that when eating maple syrup or honey.

And I had been having really bad pain and stiffness in one of my knees, to the point where I couldn't walk for more than a half block. When I eliminated sugar and wheat from my diet, my knee felt noticeably better after just two days. Two weeks later, no knee pain whatsoever and I just walked a mile with no problem.

So just subjectively I feel that sugar and wheat are not good for me.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
All I can say is from my own experience. When I eat something that is high in sugar, I can feel a spacey sensation almost immediately, similar to if I drink alcohol. I have never felt that when eating maple syrup or honey.

And I had been having really bad pain and stiffness in one of my knees, to the point where I couldn't walk for more than a half block. When I eliminated sugar and wheat from my diet, my knee felt noticeably better after just two days. Two weeks later, no knee pain whatsoever and I just walked a mile with no problem.

Trust your experience. That is probably true for many others also.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM

11,695 posts, read 6,105,740 times
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....gimme moooooooooooore sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 PM

20,061 posts, read 24,576,701 times
Diabetes Myths: American Diabetes Association®

Old 05-17-2018, 06:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,012,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

My experience is similar. If I eat sugar I get an immediate racing sensation, very scary.

Was with my daughter yesterday at her doctor's appointment, she may have celiac disease. Doctor says it is so underdiagnosed. Many people simply self-correct their food choices to avoid the unpleasant effects of wheat. That's what I've been doing.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 AM

14,373 posts, read 28,781,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, a lot of good info in that article ^^. As far as including sugar, my feeling is a VERY SMALL amount is OK AFTER a healthy meal (protein, veggies, etc) The protein and fat in the meal will slow the spike of the sugar, especially if it is just a small amount.

The problem with people consuming large amounts of processed sugar (especially in sodas!!!! ) is that it will cause a flood of insulin to be released; and after a time the body gets insulin resistant, which can result in high blood sugar. For myself, I stick to a small handful of chocolate covered almonds, sometimes mixed with a few dried fruits after dinner. Very satisfying for the sweet tooth, and not too harmful.

Regular exercise, even just walking for a short time, goes a long way to reduce blood sugar.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 AM

24,769 posts, read 16,061,445 times
Yeah, I think it is pretty much accepted that sugar isn't good for you.

I have a low tolerance for sweet things, even a raw carrot tastes to sugary to me, and I've always been that way. I bought a pizza crust and it came with a sauce, which was disgustingly too sweet.

Of course, that hasn't stopped me from becoming pre-diabetic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or