U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:55 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Exactly! I had it when I was 34! I didn't even know what it was and went to the ER because it hurt so bad! I couldn't believe it when they told me what it was. I have not had it again since (knock on wood) and I'm 44 now, but I wish I could get the vaccine already! I never want to go through that again!
I, too, had shingles at 34, while pregnant! I've had the old vax, cuz I'm an old bat. DH got the new stuff when he saw his doc this past month. I suspect I'll get it at my next physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I am having the same problem of sitting on a waiting list for shot#1 with no real guarantee I'll be able to get shot#2 within 6 months.

I am thing of cutting to the chase and just getting the Zostavax vaccine. It's good for 10 yrs. I figure the Shingrix supply problem will linger for a while. It's seems to have been an ongoing problem since it's introduction going by the people I've been talking to.

The Shingrix problem will eventually be solved but it might take another year or two... (or three). In the mean time I'd be covered and after a couple years when they fix the Shringrix problem I'll just get that
You can get Shingrix after getting Zostavax, so that might be a plan for you. I don't know what the waiting period (if any) there is between the two vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 07:14 PM

23,279 posts, read 28,085,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You can get Shingrix after getting Zostavax, so that might be a plan for you. I don't know what the waiting period (if any) there is between the two vaccines.
A minimum of eight weeks, according to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

Considering the expense, I think I would just get on the Shingrix waiting list.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:35 PM

9,266 posts, read 6,191,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Are you medical professional to be at CES for this vaccination?

Any idea when shortage might be relieved
I was planning to get it next week

And how do you space this around the flu vaccine
We still get our flu shots despite knowing people every year who get theirs and then the flu
We have been lucky and stayed flu-free...
Yes I am and no, there is no idea on the hortage.

Just check with your pharmacy, Dr or Doc in the Box for their timing on Shingrix and Flu vaccinations

Here are FAQs from CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 PM

503 posts, read 296,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If I go with the Zostavax I plan to wait at least two years before getting the Shingrix (If they have the supply lines fixed by then ) so there should be no direct conflict or "overdosing".

Old 08-26-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
If I go with the Zostavax I plan to wait at least two years before getting the Shingrix (If they have the supply lines fixed by then ) so there should be no direct conflict or "overdosing".
There is no consideration to "overdosing" with a vaccine. The only reason to wait the eight weeks is to give the immune response to the Zostavax time to subside.

The shortage is just due to unanticipated demand, and the manufacturer is ramping up to fix that.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:22 AM

503 posts, read 296,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no consideration to "overdosing" with a vaccine. The only reason to wait the eight weeks is to give the immune response to the Zostavax time to subside.

The shortage is just due to unanticipated demand, and the manufacturer is ramping up to fix that.
I know. That's why "overdosing" was in quotes. For me, 8 weeks between vaccines is not enough.

And I still don't have a date for when the shingrix supplies will be fixed. Hence I don't give a hoot what the manufacturer is doing vis a vis any timing decisions I might make. Of Course they're ramping up. But so what? That gives me no actionable information.

First they harangue about how you need the vaccine immediately, do't delay. Shingles is ghastly! Then when you say I'll get Zostavax until the shingrix problem is fixed they tell you you should wait because shingrix is better... (but be vulnerable to shingles in the mean time!?) Or do something potentially dangerous like get all of 'em in a short time to cover the "odds." I've had various doctors and pharmacies tell me all of the above.

If they can't make up their minds... I can make up mine, get coverage, and upgrade later. And having any confidence they can fix their problem soon has shown to be a big fat losing proposition for almost a year now.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I know. That's why "overdosing" was in quotes. For me, 8 weeks between vaccines is not enough.

And I still don't have a date for when the shingrix supplies will be fixed. Hence I don't give a hoot what the manufacturer is doing vis a vis any timing decisions I might make. Of Course they're ramping up. But so what? That gives me no actionable information.

First they harangue about how you need the vaccine immediately, do't delay. Shingles is ghastly! Then when you say I'll get Zostavax until the shingrix problem is fixed they tell you you should wait because shingrix is better... (but be vulnerable to shingles in the mean time!?) Or do something potentially dangerous like get all of 'em in a short time to cover the "odds." I've had various doctors and pharmacies tell me all of the above.

If they can't make up their minds... I can make up mine, get coverage, and upgrade later. And having any confidence they can fix their problem soon has shown to be a big fat losing proposition for almost a year now.
The vaccine did not even hit the market until last spring, so I do not understand what you mean by a "big fat losing proposition for almost a year now".

It's not as if there is no vaccine at all. It is a matter of waiting until your preferred pharmacy gets a shipment.

By all means take the Zostavax if you want to do that. The Shingrix can be given as soon as eight weeks after the Zostavax or you may wait longer. It would not be "dangerous" to get the Shingrix that soon.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM

126 posts, read 44,670 times
I just got the 2nd dose of Shingrix about 10 days ago. I deliberately got it on a Friday knowing about the side effects. It was the same for each dose: low grade fever, slight discomfort in the arm. The first night while sleeping I got pretty warm. Also, the second day I nap quite a bit on the sofa since I was tired.

Anyway, I am good to go and as the pharmacist said, I'm now protected about 98% for the balance of life.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 08-27-2018 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 AM

8,128 posts, read 11,855,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
UGH. I hate getting any of this stuff but I did get the first Shingrex and am waiting for the second to be delivered to the pharmacy. I paid $170 for the first. If I skip the second, will the first do any good? Paying another $170 for the privilege of feeling awful is not my cup of tea.
FWIW, although I felt sore for about 24 hours after the first shot, I had no reaction to the second shot at all.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:44 AM

14,285 posts, read 11,631,138 times
I had the first vaccine; not the Shingrix. When me and my wife had the first one we called around for prices since it was a time when our insurance would not cover the vaccination. What quickly amazed me is how much they differed; I think I saved over $100 if my recollection is correct. I would encourage all, that have to pay, to call first and compare.

PS Check everyplace; including grocery stores with pharmacies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness