Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 02:50 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times

Advertisements

Really, why?

Is it because we still see men don't prioritize their health as much as women? And I am talking in terms of dieting and **** of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 05:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Really, why?

Is it because we still see men don't prioritize their health as much as women? And I am talking in terms of dieting and **** of course.
That men die years younger than women matters not to the healthcare system. If women were dying years earlier than males you can bet there would be major programs funded to combat the discrepancy. Currently just about every hospital in the country has a Women's Health Center while Men's Health Centers are virtually non-existent. Staffing models used throughout healthcare make it more welcoming of female patients than male. Men are just not a priority for healthcare.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:25 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
That men die years younger than women matters not to the healthcare system. If women were dying years earlier than males you can bet there would be major programs funded to combat the discrepancy. Currently just about every hospital in the country has a Women's Health Center while Men's Health Centers are virtually non-existent. Staffing models used throughout healthcare make it more welcoming of female patients than male. Men are just not a priority for healthcare.

Women's health care centers are of course based on gynecology and obstetrics!

Since men don't have babies, there are no men's health centers.

Men's health issues are certainly addressed...look at all the health related magazines for men, articles in newspapers...the big push for prostate exams. Why would men have a separate center...one just for prostate issues...? Every type of diagnosis and treatment is available for men as well as women.

Your misogyny is showing....

Old 05-27-2018, 08:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
This is the silliest "why" thread I've ever seen. There is loads of research showing that it's women's health that's generally ignored.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017100912562
Why Medical Research Often Ignores Women | BU Today | Boston University
Women

Plus much, MUCH more!

Never start a thread with "why" unless/until you've determined your "why" is true.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This is the silliest "why" thread I've ever seen. There is loads of research showing that it's women's health that's generally ignored.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017100912562
Why Medical Research Often Ignores Women | BU Today | Boston University
Women

Plus much, MUCH more!

Never start a thread with "why" unless/until you've determined your "why" is true.
Right, it's only been very recently that men's health and men's bodies weren't considered the default for study and treatment.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
I'm all for the ball players wearing pink for breast cancer awareness, a disease that by the way my wife fought and beat.

Wish they'd wear a color for prostate cancer or a ca. that affects EVERYONE like lung, colon, etc.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'm all for the ball players wearing pink for breast cancer awareness, a disease that by the way my wife fought and beat.

Wish they'd wear a color for prostate cancer or a ca. that affects EVERYONE like lung, colon, etc.
? You are aware of Movember, right? There is a whole campaign in November, just like there is a campaign for breast cancer in October...

Old 05-27-2018, 10:26 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Part of the problem is that, while Prostate cancer is exclusively a male disease, men can also get breast cancer. https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/...ast-cancer-men

Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post

There has been a lot of criticism, even among breast cancer survivors, about the effectiveness of and necessity for pinkwashing everything every October. We can no longer say that breast cancer is a hidden killer of women with no awareness or research behind it.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Really, why?

You really think that, despite nearly ALL medical, sports, and diet studies over the last two hundred years have used only male subjects, men's health is neglected?

This is a classic case of equality looking unfair to a person who has always been on the top of the heap until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness