Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Because anything that has to do with self preservation (taking care of your health, pampering yourself, being cautious etc) has been deemed feminine and/or gay - by both women and men, but especially by women themselves. (Ive heard women say a man who takes pride in the kemptness of his own beard is gay or effete.) Everything associated with masculinity and desireability for men is in some form self destructive, reckless or highly risky and involves some risk of self injury. Even working out (which is a form of self care) is associated with accepting and developing a mental tolerance for pain, soreness, bodily torment etc. Everything about the male experience is encouraged to be self destructiven or at minimum self negligent.

Not only that but women have every form of self care options at their disposal...from the vital, to the entirely superficial. Everything from contraception, yearly well woman exams, to more cosmetic self care that may be only of benefit to their self image like body contouring/rib removal, breast augmentations, breast lifts, butt implants, vaginal rejuvenation, any kind of wax and hair removal imaginable are available to enrich their lives and treat them as the whole person. Those cosmetic enhancements that arent available medically are available commercially such as high heels, push up bras, waist trainers, girdles, padded bras, butt pads, wigs, makeup, eye lashes etc; in addition to every garment of clothing men can wear (pants, suits, dress shoes and so forth). Realistically, what is there for the short, fat, bald man with a little penis to improve himself? What things have society or have the medical community invented to improve his self image? Again, Ive seen men be called gay for having their eyebrows shaped (not saying that isnt very effiminate, but these are double standards that dont exist for women who may choose to wear pants, or who may choose to wear short hair or who make some other traditionally masculine style choice. If they do make these choices, more often than not, it is spun as empowement and being bold, contrary to men who stray from the strictest interpretation of their gender norm)

The value men have in our society is very one dimensional and utilitarian. The reason there is much more emphasis placed on women's healthcare is because self preservation and self care themselves are deemed female traits by society as a whole. Men are encouraged to do just enough to make it look like they havent let themselves go and to make sure theyre still able bodied enough to do work and fight ...beyond that, a man who pays too close attention to things like his health, safety or his diet or his appearance can, and often will, wind up being put in the gay or effiminate category by both men and women alike.
This is the most ridiculous, backwards and offensive post in regards to men’s health imaginable.....did I mention ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Because anything that has to do with self preservation (taking care of your health, pampering yourself, being cautious etc) has been deemed feminine and/or gay - by both women and men, but especially by women themselves. (Ive heard women say a man who takes pride in the kemptness of his own beard is gay or effete.) Everything associated with masculinity and desireability for men is in some form self destructive, reckless or highly risky and involves some risk of self injury. Even working out (which is a form of self care) is associated with accepting and developing a mental tolerance for pain, soreness, bodily torment etc. Everything about the male experience is encouraged to be self destructiven or at minimum self negligent.

Not only that but women have every form of self care options at their disposal...from the vital, to the entirely superficial. Everything from contraception, yearly well woman exams, to more cosmetic self care that may be only of benefit to their self image like body contouring/rib removal, breast augmentations, breast lifts, butt implants, vaginal rejuvenation, any kind of wax and hair removal imaginable are available to enrich their lives and treat them as the whole person. Those cosmetic enhancements that arent available medically are available commercially such as high heels, push up bras, waist trainers, girdles, padded bras, butt pads, wigs, makeup, eye lashes etc; in addition to every garment of clothing men can wear (pants, suits, dress shoes and so forth). Realistically, what is there for the short, fat, bald man with a little penis to improve himself? What things have society or have the medical community invented to improve his self image? Again, Ive seen men be called gay for having their eyebrows shaped (not saying that isnt very effiminate, but these are double standards that dont exist for women who may choose to wear pants, or who may choose to wear short hair or who make some other traditionally masculine style choice. If they do make these choices, more often than not, it is spun as empowement and being bold, contrary to men who stray from the strictest interpretation of their gender norm)

The value men have in our society is very one dimensional and utilitarian. The reason there is much more emphasis placed on women's healthcare is because self preservation and self care themselves are deemed female traits by society as a whole. Men are encouraged to do just enough to make it look like they havent let themselves go and to make sure theyre still able bodied enough to do work and fight ...beyond that, a man who pays too close attention to things like his health, safety or his diet or his appearance can, and often will, wind up being put in the gay or effiminate category by both men and women alike.
I don't know where you live of what kind of people are in your life, but none of this is AT ALL common in my life. I and my friends consider nasty, ill kept beards and mustaches totally gross, as in cave man. I and my friends encourage our husbands and sons to eat more vegetables & salads and fewer double cheese burgers. Also encourage them to go to the Dr and then follow the health plan. Our health insurance pays for yearly exams for both men and women. And everywhere I've ever lived has much better gym facilities for men than for women. I see MANY men who take good care of themselves and they definitely are not all gay or effeminate, and some are short and bald. But not fat of course, because they eat well and exercise regularly.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:58 AM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
My husband only goes to the dentist when he has excrucuiting pain. Regular checkups? No.

My husband won’t go to the doctor for a routine general health checkup. I expect something major will hit him one day and then it will be too late.

His excuses? Too busy, feels fine, i am alright, etc.

Men are responsible for their own healthcare....nagging wives are not helpful.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
This is blatantly false. Maybe 200 years ago it might have been true, probably due to religious/cultural norms on female modesty. However, it has not been true in the 20th century or this one.

It is a myth.

Men have higher mortality and worse medical outcomes than women at every age. We die earlier, and in worse shape, after suffering with poor health for a longer period of time.

Women consume/spend 2/3 of all health care dollars.
Conditions unique to women receive TWICE as much research money as conditions unique to men.

So these plaints fall on deaf ears.
This post is one great big [citation needed].

Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
"Women's health" is just a euphemistic term for OBGYN services. Men also have a department for this - urology.
If 100% of the nurses, techs, CNA's, scribes, and Medical Assistants in Women's Health Centers were males, then I'd agree that yes Women's Health Centers are the female equivalent of what close to 100% of urology practices are for men. Opposite gender staff handling what are very personal matters in healthcare settings is not comfortable for many people, male or female. Many don't care one way or another and ideally that is the way to be, but many do. This is what keeps some men away from seeking medical care. Few will ever admit it being they've been socialized from childhood to "man up" and make believe they don't care.

I have never avoided healthcare and have used the fact that I am only alive today because of that to encourage men to set aside their modesty for the sake of their health. The fact remains however that more men would seek healthcare if for example a urology office saw their way to hire even just one male nurse or MA and if hospitals saw their way to hire just one male sonographer and so forth. Staffing doesn't have to be 50/50, just something other than 100%/0% in key areas.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This is the silliest "why" thread I've ever seen. There is loads of research showing that it's women's health that's generally ignored.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017100912562
Why Medical Research Often Ignores Women | BU Today | Boston University
Women

Plus much, MUCH more!

Never start a thread with "why" unless/until you've determined your "why" is true.
Yes, exactly. Google the history of medical care for women vs men.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If 100% of the nurses, techs, CNA's, scribes, and Medical Assistants in Women's Health Centers were males, then I'd agree that yes Women's Health Centers are the female equivalent of what close to 100% of urology practices are for men. Opposite gender staff handling what are very personal matters in healthcare settings is not comfortable for many people, male or female. Many don't care one way or another and ideally that is the way to be, but many do. This is what keeps some men away from seeking medical care. Few will ever admit it being they've been socialized from childhood to "man up" and make believe they don't care.

I have never avoided healthcare and have used the fact that I am only alive today because of that to encourage men to set aside their modesty for the sake of their health. The fact remains however that more men would seek healthcare if for example a urology office saw their way to hire even just one male nurse or MA and if hospitals saw their way to hire just one male sonographer and so forth. Staffing doesn't have to be 50/50, just something other than 100%/0% in key areas.
“Saw their way to hire”? Who is hired has to do with the applicant pool. If men aren’t in the applicant pool, then how can they be hired. The nursing/MA field is still primarily female by far. How is an office going to hire more men if there aren’t any men to hire. Women have always had to deal with this since there are many specialties that are still hugely dominated by men. Again, this has to do with what women select when they go into medicine. My father ended up specializing in something more male dominated within a general specialty, although the PA he supervised was female.

I met one older man who was a nurse (Vietnam veteran) and he said it was very hard for him to go into the career because he was basically not allowed to do half the tasks the other nurses were allowed to do when he started. Certainly that isn’t the case today, but the fact remains that nursing is not a popular field for men.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:46 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Is this movement publicized during professional athletic events?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
“Saw their way to hire”? Who is hired has to do with the applicant pool. If men aren’t in the applicant pool, then how can they be hired. The nursing/MA field is still primarily female by far. How is an office going to hire more men if there aren’t any men to hire. Women have always had to deal with this since there are many specialties that are still hugely dominated by men. Again, this has to do with what women select when they go into medicine. My father ended up specializing in something more male dominated within a general specialty, although the PA he supervised was female.

I met one older man who was a nurse (Vietnam veteran) and he said it was very hard for him to go into the career because he was basically not allowed to do half the tasks the other nurses were allowed to do when he started. Certainly that isn’t the case today, but the fact remains that nursing is not a popular field for men.
About 90% of RNs and CNAs are female, despite great efforts to increase the number of males, especially RNs.

I don't feel too sorry for your Vietnam vet friend; male nurses usually rise up the career ladder very fast. They are vastly over-represented in the admin ranks of nursing.

As for urology (not brought up by you, I know), women seek out their care as well.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
You really think that, despite nearly ALL medical, sports, and diet studies over the last two hundred years have used only male subjects, men's health is neglected?

This is a classic case of equality looking unfair to a person who has always been on the top of the heap until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
This is blatantly false. Maybe 200 years ago it might have been true, probably due to religious/cultural norms on female modesty. However, it has not been true in the 20th century or this one.

It is a myth.

Men have higher mortality and worse medical outcomes than women at every age. We die earlier, and in worse shape, after suffering with poor health for a longer period of time.

Women consume/spend 2/3 of all health care dollars.
Conditions unique to women receive TWICE as much research money as conditions unique to men.

So these plaints fall on deaf ears.
Men are not as healthy...however it's not because science hasn't been disproportionately focused on men!

Here is a recent and comprehensive view of the topic of women's participation in health studies. Even when women are included, their numbers are frequently less and not enough to adequately explain the gender differences found that could be necessary to tailor treatment to them:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4800017/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness