U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,761,582 times

Advertisements

Last time I tried melatonin it knocked me out for 2 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 02:35 AM

3,758 posts, read 1,381,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically a lot of nights I can't sleep, and I wonder, is it even worth laying there trying, or should I just give up after an hour or two and just do something with my time, like clean, watch movies, or whatever. Is it worth keep on trying only to be really frustrated you wasted a whole night trying to sleep when you couldn't?

Sometimes before bed I will be texting my friend, and she will not text back so I figured she went to sleep. She will then text me the next day, and say 'sorry, I fell asleep last night when we were chatting'.

And I wish I could do that. How does a person just fall asleep uncontrollably like that? That almost never happens to me but maybe once every few years, and other than that, I have to actually try to make an effort to fall into a sleep. But how does a person just fall asleep like that, outside of their intentions?

Or is it not even with trying to sleep and I should just get up and go do other things, and not let it bother me?
Avoid staring at device screens and tv. The light can really mess up your sleep. If you like reading, read a BOOK and use a warm tone lower intensity light. Put a stop to the texting...not only because of the screen light but the anxiety/mental hamster wheel thinking it triggers. You want to find ways to quiet your mind, not get it racing. A lot of physical activity might also kick up your metabolism so you end up more awake. That's why people are advised not to exercise too late in the evening. If you drink coffee or other caffeinated drinks, stop earlier in the evening.

People have lots of different routines they use to get the mind/body ready to sleep. I'm sure you'll hear them here and also on line.

Can't really help you; sleep isn't usually a problem for me unless I have some huge hairy problem to work out.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 AM

1,598 posts, read 644,616 times
Yes, I forgot to mention, the main determinant in whether I fall asleep easily or not, is how much physical exercise I have had during the day. Shoot for at least an hour.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,242,090 times
Here’s what I do:

Pharmaceutical:

Melatonin 30 mins before bed (once I started taking it for a week or so the morning haze wore off. I do have two cups of coffee to combat it when I wake up)
Anti-anxiety med (my mind races and this stops it. Ask your pcp

Other:

30+ mins exercise but not within 3 hours of bed
White noise - for me a fan works
No screens before bed and have all devices go to night mode at 7 (no blue light, softer glow)
Keep a notebook by the bed to jot down any thoughts I have (helps a lot!!)
Turn phone ringer off at 9.
Have a set bedtime and stick to it even on weekends

Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 AM

8,708 posts, read 3,725,259 times
The only suggestion I will make is wear earplugs if you are a light sleeper. My late husband was a loud snorer and they always seem to fall asleep first so I started wearing soft foam earplugs and I sleep much better.

When I was working a job I was beginning to hate I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall asleep. Now that I am semi retired if I do wake up I can fall back to sleep.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM

4,435 posts, read 5,109,885 times
[quote=ironpony;52041836]i'm 33. I think the issues might be psychological as I hate my job and hate waking up to go to it, which causes me some anxiety so that could be it. I didn't have trouble sleeping when I was in between jobs and out of work for a while. When I was going to school in between, I slept much better or so I remember.[/QUOTE

After several nights of dreaming that I died at my desk and no one noticed I left the comfy State of Az. job and moved to another state. The job was killing me, one day at a time, listen to what your brain is telling you.

Anyway, I do agree with what others said about different sleep methods to try. On a really bad night I take only half a melatonin as I don't want to get used to them. Most nights a cup of warm milk before bed and a walk after dinner seems to help as well as tuning off electronics. Don't watch the news or political shows that bring on strong emotions after dinner. If I am too warm at night I can't sleep so I toss most of the blankets on DH as soon the lights go out. Is your pillow too hard or too soft? What about medications that you take?

It might also be beneficial to talk to a sleep doctor as you might have some apnea involved. It is one of those things that sneaks up on you before you realize what is going on.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 AM

128 posts, read 68,821 times
The rule is,never lay in bed for more than 1/2 an hour.Get up and read something boring.I myself used to have a problem sleeping after I retired,I was working an average of 75 hours a week almost year round,not to mention working out for an hour and a half 6 days a week.When I laid down I was asleep in 30 seconds from sheer exhaustion.
Because I am not nearly as active anymore I had a hard time adjusting to being retired.Know what puts me to sleep every night now? I listen to Andrea Bocelli and Ed Sheeran sing perfect,puts me to sleep every time!!!!! I don't even hear the last couple minutes of the song!!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 AM

1,310 posts, read 454,392 times
Clear your head. Many I know have trouble sleeping because something's on their mind. Me, I can fall asleep on command. Always have lol

Old 05-30-2018, 12:14 PM

3,701 posts, read 9,032,849 times
I used to have insomnia in the form of waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep. Now, it's falling asleep that is difficult and I donít know what has changed. I agree with those that say to lie there are rest - even if you're not sleeping at least you are resting. I find that I will eventually fall asleep if I do that but if I get up, it doesnít make me any more tired or able to fall asleep easier. Reading a book is the exception, that sometimes will make me nod off.

I found these great ear plugs - they are called Hearos and they block out noise and I sleep better using them.

My doctor actually told me to take melatonin but I find the lowest dose possible- 1 mg and it doesnít make me groggy the next day. I've also been trying Benadryl and that does help, but I donít want to rely on it or have to take it all the time so I only use it occasionally.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:39 PM

2,692 posts, read 894,330 times
As for looking at screens, I look at a computer screen a lot in my work, so that is hard to avoid too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or