U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 PM

1,314 posts, read 226,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I canít sleep, I pretend Iím giving a demonstration to others....like making a pizza from scratch, or baking a pie, etc., whatever you know how to do that is a lengthy process. A man might build a boat or a birdhouse, or change a tire, or play a round of golf. Anything that makes one focus on a step by step task.

It works for me.
Or .... a man might demonstrate baking a pie, and a woman might build a boat!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
Try Melatonin. It's over the counter. I use Natures Bounty and it works for me! Otherwise it takes me like 2 hours to fall asleep!

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...onin-and-sleep

Old 06-21-2018, 04:04 PM

2,937 posts, read 964,578 times
I tried melatonin, and yes, it works but there is a side effect that I mentioned before.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:09 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I tried melatonin, and yes, it works but there is a side effect that I mentioned before.

Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. I have had terrible insomnia due to perimenopause. Doctors are no help. One wanted to put me on some medication and I've heard terrible stories about that kind of stuff so no thanks! Another doctor told me to stay up later and I would fall asleep faster. Nope, I got even less sleep then! I also tried Tylenol PM and Advil PM, but that's not good to take long term either. So I tried Melatonin and I agree, I only take 10mg about an hour before I go to bed and I fall asleep fairly quickly when I do go to bed. If I take a higher mg then I'm sleepy all day. So far I have no side effects with the dosage I'm taking. It does come in different dosage amount. So far it's been the best remedy for me, but everyone of course is different.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, The TV thing hasn't worked for me though. Usually, I only have trouble sleeping on nights where I work the next morning, but on weekend nights, when I am off, I can sleep fairly good then.
You're mentally setting yourself up for insomnia because you are hyper-fixated on sleeping. Have you ever noticed that when you HAVE to stay awake for something & you get anxious about it, that you are constantly thinking:

"Have to stay awake, have to stay awake, stay awake, stay awake ..."

... That you get super tired to the point of nodding off?

And then, when you HAVE to be up really, really early & you get super anxious about falling asleep on time, that you are constantly thinking:

"Have to go to sleep, have to go to sleep. I. Have. To. Go. To. SLEEP .. !"

... That you are now super alert & restless?

You are going to sleep easily when you don't have to get up for work the next day because you don't "Have to, have to, have to ..." You need to shift your focus to waking up vs going to sleep. Either something with stimulant properties or setting your alarm for 30 min earlier than normal for 3-4 days.

If you are still having problems going to sleep on the 5th night, you might need to set it ahead for another 30 minutes & try another 3-4 days; until you are actually tired at your desired bedtime. I know; it sounds weird.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
I wake up at 3 - 4 am, sometimes in pain, sometimes hungry, sometimes for no reason.

In general, I try to address the issue quickly: appropriate med for the pain, crackers and milk for hunger. If it's no reason, I try to meditate, but if I'm still awake, I move out to the living room recliner and try napping there. I don't clean, watch TV, or do anything other than what I mentioned. Most of the time, I can fall back asleep in the recliner and not be totally useless the next day.

I'm older and getting near retirement, too. It's hard to stay awake in the late afternoon some days, but I try to avoid naps because they disrupt my sleep pattern at night.

I've found it helpful to cut back to 6 oz of coffee in the morning only and no fruit after lunch (high sugar).

I've also found it helpful to stretch about 30 minutes before bedtime. This is not cardio! It's just gentle stretches that I do in a chair or on the floor that help release muscle tension.

In spite of my best efforts, I do have nights where I wake up around 5 am and never get back to sleep. It's not stress. I will try some of the things mentioned on this thread.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Yeah, melatonin makes me drag the next day too. Sometimes I open the camomile capsule, pour half out, put it back together, and just take that. Works fine.
I've read some take such high doses of melatonin, I take 1mg and my other stuff I've mentioned here and since I've added tryptophan and B6 I get right back to sleep after my wake ups. Before I would lay there a while, that tryptophan has done it. I don't drag the next day.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 AM

421 posts, read 884,867 times
Quote:
Basically a lot of nights I can't sleep, and I wonder, is it even worth laying there trying, or should I just give up after an hour or two and just do something with my time, like clean, watch movies, or whatever. Is it worth keep on trying only to be really frustrated you wasted a whole night trying to sleep when you couldn't?

Sometimes before bed I will be texting my friend, and she will not text back so I figured she went to sleep. She will then text me the next day, and say 'sorry, I fell asleep last night when we were chatting'.

And I wish I could do that. How does a person just fall asleep uncontrollably like that? That almost never happens to me but maybe once every few years, and other than that, I have to actually try to make an effort to fall into a sleep. But how does a person just fall asleep like that, outside of their intentions?

Or is it not even with trying to sleep and I should just get up and go do other things, and not let it bother me?
I've been taking Ambien for 22 years and don't plan to stop. When I first started I was doing a lot of international travel for many years and needed to take something to help me sleep in various time zones around the world.
My PCP asked me recently if I ever planned to stop taking Ambien and I said no and she was fine with it.
By the way I don't have trouble sleeping. Am I addicted you may ask. Probably, but I only have to please myself

Old 06-22-2018, 04:06 PM

2,937 posts, read 964,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread. I have had terrible insomnia due to perimenopause. Doctors are no help. One wanted to put me on some medication and I've heard terrible stories about that kind of stuff so no thanks! Another doctor told me to stay up later and I would fall asleep faster. Nope, I got even less sleep then! I also tried Tylenol PM and Advil PM, but that's not good to take long term either. So I tried Melatonin and I agree, I only take 10mg about an hour before I go to bed and I fall asleep fairly quickly when I do go to bed. If I take a higher mg then I'm sleepy all day. So far I have no side effects with the dosage I'm taking. It does come in different dosage amount. So far it's been the best remedy for me, but everyone of course is different.
Okay thanks. I tried just taking a little melatonin, to avoid being tired all day the next day, but it didn't work. I need to take at least half the recommended dosage for it to work, but if i take half, I am still tired all day, the next day. Anything less than half the recommended dosage, doesn't put me to sleep.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:23 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,129,215 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I tried just taking a little melatonin, to avoid being tired all day the next day, but it didn't work. I need to take at least half the recommended dosage for it to work, but if i take half, I am still tired all day, the next day. Anything less than half the recommended dosage, doesn't put me to sleep.
What do you consider recommended dose? It can be different for everyone. Some do well on 1 mg and some take 3mg and some take 5mg and I've read here some take 10mg. I did very well on 1/4mg to 1/2 mg for a long time but I had other things with my combo like inositol and gaba. As I've aged and more pain I do better with 1mg and KEY is to take it about 2 hrs before ready to hit the pillow. This way your body is readying itself for sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or