U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 PM

3,888 posts, read 1,238,265 times

Advertisements

By recommended dose I was going by what the bottle said for adults, but it's been a few years since I've had it, so I do not remember what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 PM

3,226 posts, read 1,180,140 times
You probably actually sleep a great deal more than you think. I've had connections at airports of 8-hours or more, and that is a really, really long time to just sit (or lie). It seems like you were awake all night, but you probably slept without knowing it.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 7,097,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
By recommended dose I was going by what the bottle said for adults, but it's been a few years since I've had it, so I do not remember what it was.
I don't think you understand. If a person buys a bottle of 3 mg tablets, it will say recommended dose.

Same if a person buys a bottle of 1mg tablets.

What many do is buy say a 5mg tab bottle and break or cut pieces and work with various doses they cut.

When I was taking the 1/4mg I bought 1mg tablets and bit off a 1/4 piece.

One has to find the recommended for their adult body. What works for them. I don't believe melatonin is given to babies/children, at least I don't think so.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-22-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Oh okay, the melatonin I bought before, was in liquid form, and not tablet form, so it gave a recommendation based on measurement of liquid.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:35 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,087,233 times
Quote:
i'm 33. I think the issues might be psychological as I hate my job and hate waking up to go to it, which causes me some anxiety so that could be it. I didn't have trouble sleeping when I was in between jobs and out of work for a while. When I was going to school in between, I slept much better or so I remember.
Yes, I think what we write may give us a clue to the real underlying problem which may be that you are unsatisfied with the life you are living at the moment. Obviously there are a lot of people who are not satisfied with their life so what I am about to say is not surprising or new, but dissatisfaction affects us all differently and so one solution does not work for all.

There is a book which is updated each year(if I remember correctly) called What Colour is Your Parachute and it gives excellent advice on determining what each of us is good at, and identifying skills we have but didn't know we had. Maybe the key to all this is to use free of nearly-free online courses to study for the changes you identify and to use the time when you are awake at night to do the studying perhaps? You will feel that you are making good use of your time and that you are doing something towards changing your life to be one which is more satisfying to you. Unfortunately, changing careers is always going to take a bit of a hit on the wages, but if it will make you happier then maybe it is better than spending the whole of your life in a career which is causing other problems for you down the line.

As far as sleeping is concerned, for everyone not just the OP, I think the countdown from 100 method has to be fairly slow, like a second or two on each number perhaps. I remember reading that if we cannot sleep, then we need to get our subconscious to associate the bed with sleep, so dont go to lie down in bed until you are sleepy and do get straight up in the morning. Some people lie in bed at weekends and play games, go online, etc. which does not allow your subconscious to associate bed/sleep.

Try reading a book before bed for at least 30 minutes and not using any electrical stuff (phones, TV, Kindles, games, video-editing stuff, etc) in that period. Also maybe you can try a not-too-hot bath, and perhaps even have your feet (or hands) rubbed/massaged if you have someone else there with you. This rubbing will bring the 'energy' down from the head more towards the feet and stops so much mental thoughts, worries, etc which is the cause for many sleepless nights for a lot of people. The rubbing feet idea is one which works really well and should be tried, not many people know about it. Feet should be FIRMLY rubbed so that you do not feel ticklish at all and although it takes a little getting-used-to, it is an excellent way to calm down, relax and prepare for sleep.

Oh, and stop eating at 8pm at the latest. No sugary drinks, coffee, tea, beer, etc after that time. Of course, it depends on how much you want to be able to sleep as to how strict you are with yourself about all this stuff. However, if you are serious about wanting to sleep, then you will have to change your way of living.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 AM

Okay thanks, I already tried the no eating after 8, as it was suggested to me before, but so far, I get pretty hungry around 10 if I don't have just a little something, and that hunger can keep me up as well. I have two jobs and work at a computer a lot all evening before bed, and it's not like I can just give that up so easily though.

But I feel a lot my sleep disorder is a psychological problem though and feel it's because I hate loath my job and career. Even tonight, I can't sleep cause my brain is telling me that it doesn't want to wake up to a job that it loathes and wants me to quit. My brain is actually telling me, no quitting job, then no wanting to sleep.

So how does a person deal with that?

Last edited by ironpony; 06-25-2018 at 12:59 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 AM

381 posts, read 227,701 times
If you hate your job and career, it's time to change that. You need to sit down, look at your situation, and make a plan. What interests you? What training would you need? What are your resources? What do you need to do to change things?

Remember: Nothing is impossible. If you are motivated enough, you can make a plan and stick to it. It might not be easy, but in the end, it will be worth it, and you'll be sleeping better. I know, because I've done it.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Well I've been applying for other jobs, but not getting any yet. So I was told I should keep this one until I get another one. But the more I have to work this one, the less I am able to sleep. I think my psychological anger over this job, is powerful enough to override most sleeping remedies.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 AM

117 posts, read 46,132 times
I listen to books on tape (downloaded to iPhone from my library). Set it to stop playing after 15 minutes. If I'm still awake, start book again. If I wake up in the middle of night, start book up again. It works for me unless the reader has an annoying voice.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,197,598 times
Sounds like two things: you start thinking about your job and get agitated and then sleep is gone. If you're actively out there looking for another job, tell yourself you've done all you can for now, and try not to hit yourself over the head about things you don't have control over. Maybe the job thing is the main problem and the sleep issues are 90% due to that.

The other thing is the texting, etc. This is definitely a no-no for people who have trouble getting to sleep. Don't get involved in texting after you come up to your room to go to bed. Leave all those activities for outside your bedroom. If you must have your devices in the room with you, turn off all notifications for email and texts so you won't hear them. This way your brain won't be subconsciously waiting for a text or email after you're in bed.

Make sure your bedroom isn't too hot, settle down with a nice easy book and let your body relax in bed. Read until you forget about work problems, and realize that even if you don't get to sleep, your muscles are relaxing and getting rest, and that will do you good for the next morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or