U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM

2,924 posts, read 964,578 times

Advertisements

Basically a lot of nights I can't sleep, and I wonder, is it even worth laying there trying, or should I just give up after an hour or two and just do something with my time, like clean, watch movies, or whatever. Is it worth keep on trying only to be really frustrated you wasted a whole night trying to sleep when you couldn't?

Sometimes before bed I will be texting my friend, and she will not text back so I figured she went to sleep. She will then text me the next day, and say 'sorry, I fell asleep last night when we were chatting'.

And I wish I could do that. How does a person just fall asleep uncontrollably like that? That almost never happens to me but maybe once every few years, and other than that, I have to actually try to make an effort to fall into a sleep. But how does a person just fall asleep like that, outside of their intentions?

Or is it not even with trying to sleep and I should just get up and go do other things, and not let it bother me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 PM

574 posts, read 140,668 times
I have never slept well. I hear everything. The wind, rain, the dog turning around etc etc and the older Ive gotten the less sleep I get. Usually from about 1 to 3 am. So instead of lying there, I read. Sometimes that will help and sometimes not but I feel more productive doing something than tossing and turning. And its a good time to read when the world is quieter. No texting. That doesnt help me. Makes it worse. Ditto for TV.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 PM

5,497 posts, read 3,352,872 times
You're going to get varying answers. For me, it's better to lie quietly with my eyes closed, try to think about something soothing and tell myself that I'm still "resting" because I am lying down.

I have no desire to get up and read or clean the house or do anything in the middle of the night. But that works for many people.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,798,958 times
Do you just stay awake the whole night and go to work the next day without any sleep or do you have flexible work hours that it doesn't matter if you fall asleep?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 699,146 times
I find if I read for a while and then roll over while the light is still on, I fall asleep better than in the dark. It's almost like I am "cheating" by sleeping instead of reading.

Put away all tech for at least 30 minutes before you want to sleep. I don't have a TV anymore but when I did have one in the bedroom I could sometimes fall asleep watching nature documentaries.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:04 PM

Sorry I don't understand the question. What do you mean by 'flexible hours', like work hours?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:05 PM

1,356 posts, read 651,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
And I wish I could do that. How does a person just fall asleep uncontrollably like that?

Or is it not even with trying to sleep and I should just get up and go do other things, and not let it bother me?
My husband does that, is asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. He gets up at 4:30 a.m., that's how he does it.

When I can't sleep, I make use of the time by doing some supine yoga poses in bed, and/or work on art projects in my head. Being sleepless actually helps the creative process for me, because I'm relaxed and can think up all kinds of things I want to make.

Get up if you feel like it, or stay in bed, it's entirely up to you how you spend that time, whatever feels right for you.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:13 PM

32,104 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Sorry I don't understand the question. What do you mean by 'flexible hours', like work hours?
Yes, I think that's what is meant.

You have a factory type job, yes? You may have said but do you change shifts every week? If so, that's part of your problem, you never get into a routine.

I don't necessarily have trouble falling asleep but I do have trouble staying asleep. I'll wake up every hour or so all night. I've been like that for 50+ years. I also get up between 4:30 and 5, also a decades long habit although there was a period of several years when I worked swing shift and in the Navy standing watch and what not (night training and operations, etc.).

Old 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM

No as of now, I am on the same shifts all the time, accept for some days if they want to change it just for that day.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 1,258,358 times
Quote:
Basically a lot of nights I can't sleep, and I wonder, is it even worth laying there trying, or should I just give up after an hour or two and just do something with my time, like clean, watch movies, or whatever. Is it worth keep on trying only to be really frustrated you wasted a whole night trying to sleep when you couldn't?

Sometimes before bed I will be texting my friend, and she will not text back so I figured she went to sleep. She will then text me the next day, and say 'sorry, I fell asleep last night when we were chatting'.

And I wish I could do that. How does a person just fall asleep uncontrollably like that? That almost never happens to me but maybe once every few years, and other than that, I have to actually try to make an effort to fall into a sleep. But how does a person just fall asleep like that, outside of their intentions?

I pull up youtube on my phone, thunderstorm recording in the forest or rain patter on a tent ambient sounds.
If you wake up drenched...close the window !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or