U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:08 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,686,136 times

Advertisements

Ok I know that most people think that surgery would be bad news, but let me explain.

For 10 years I've been in chronic pain with my right knee. Every doctor I went to told me "take some anti-inflamatory and you'll be fine in 2 weeks".

Finally after 10 years of Aleve, IBprofen, narcotics and physical therapy Igot MRIs and Xrays done in Feb. The first ortho surgeon told me I was too young for any knee surgery (I'm 28) and to take some anti-inflamatories and some pain meds and I would be fine. I went to a second Orthopedic doctor and he told me I have a ligament pulling my kneecap off grove, wich has been the cause of all my pain. He also told me that there is an arthroscopical surgery that would fix it, but they don't like to do those surgeries at the hospital. He gave me an example of a woman with the same problem I have that was worse off, her kneecap was actually dislocating, and they wouldn't even do the surgery for her and she was over 40, so at least it isn't because I'm too young.

So now, I have to wait 3 months, wasting my time and money on physical therapy (which I HAVE tried before and it didn't help), before he'll even try to convince the surgeon to do the surgery. I'm so bummed.

As far as I can tell from checking the internet, it's a very simple procedure that takes less than an hour and would significantly drop my pain level.

Lateral Release - Knee1.com (http://www.knee1.com/care/procedure20.cfm/24 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,639,168 times
I'm sorry that you have to wait when you want the problem fixed now. I understand. Unfortunately, this seems to be the way the system works. I had a difficult issue with my ankle and felt surgery was inevitable, but the same thing happened to me. Running for weeks of PT and trying every conservative treatment under the sun, but I did eventually have the surgery which fixed the problem (and it has not recurred in 11 yrs, I am so happy about that!)

I guess I am just telling you to grin and bear it for now. I hope you have the surgery when you can and that it achieves the desired result. In the meantime, do lots of research about the procedure, anesthesia, risks, and benefits so you have a great list of questions to ask your doc once surgery is about to be scheduled.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:44 AM

5,080 posts, read 13,854,635 times
My daughter, who is in her 30's had a Lateral Release when she was a teen ager. She had the problem of a shallow groove and her kneecap would constantly dislocate.

I don't remember how many times it happened, but after the first couple of times she would bite the bullet and put the kneecap back in place herself.

It was extremely painful for her to do that and she still had to go to the hospital, but she said it was better than riding in the ambulance with it dislocated where every bump and turn would make her scream in pain.

The operation took probably a couple of hours, but she had to wear a full leg cast and walk with crutches for quite a while while it healed.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:58 AM

28,227 posts, read 20,598,764 times
My daughter also had it in her teens.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,137,991 times
I would check with another surgeon in another state.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I would check with another surgeon in another state.
I think I'll do that after my next appt with him in 6 weeks. He did say he could give me a name of a surgeon in Texas (long drive for a 30 min surgery lol). I'll find out if he knows one closer perhaps.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
Did you ever have the surgery?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,804,149 times
If the hospital doesn't want you to have it at their hospital, you can bet it's because it's one of those surgeries that often don't work well. You need to investigate others that have had it done and find out if they are glad that they had it.

It seems odd that you would have to go out of state to have it done. Try to find out the reason. I doubt that it's because the hospital operating rooms are too busy.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,564,498 times
i had this surgery done on my right knee at age 20, back in 1980 BEFORE arthroscopy ..... have not had a SINGLE problem with it in the 30 years since......

had the left knee scoped in 1997 after enduring MONTHS and MONTHS of pain and stiffness and the same ol' take these NSAIDs (tough on someone already with IBS) and do this therapy..... knee was good for about 6 months and then back to the same ol' same ol' ..... had the full on lateral release done in 1998... again knee was fine for a couple of years, but have been back to the same ol same ol for nearly a decade now..... i just wonder if i waited too long and damage was done before i finally sought treatment for the left knee.....

Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 AM

Ok I had my surgery June 2008. I'm no longer in constant pain. I still have a slight problem with going down stairs, but my Physical Therapist said it was because I didn't start PT until about 6 months after the surgery. The bones they repositioned and put screws in just wasn't knitting together. They finally gave me an ultrasound machine to stimulate the bone growth. Even if I continue to have problems walking down stairs, in my mind the surgery was a success, because I no longer have pain 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I was able to stop taking 1600 mg of over the counter pain killers just to function so I'm saving my liver and stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness