U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 AM

18,566 posts, read 6,046,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The 50 Billion dollar figure is for the whole US market....

The 427 Billion dollar figure you quoted is for the top 10 GLOBAL companies...

Day and night figures...and really does it matter?? You make claims all the time about how the "poor" supplement makers have it so difficult...how they can't "afford" to advertise like Big Pharma...

50 BILLION DOLLARS says otherwise....

All the supplement makers have to "show" with their R&D is that the supplement is not harmful...because if it is harmful the FDA WILL then step in.

The supplement makers DO NOT have to show efficacy.....there is no research done to show the product actually DOES ANYTHING

So they absolutely just throw them out there and say "take it"

As for plenty of "control" going into their supplements?? NO there isn't....that's what UNREGULATED means

"Of 44 herbal supplements tested, one-third showed outright substitution, meaning there was no trace of the plant advertised on the bottle — only another plant in its place.

Many were adulterated with ingredients not listed on the label, like rice, soybean and wheat, which are used as fillers."
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/s...=tw-share&_r=0

Can you imagine the uproar if the above were true for pharmaceuticals??? Never would happen though because they are REGULATED
REGULATED to give us all the side effects they give....why is that, I've asked that many times and never get an answer from the experts here.

I take a good load of supplements and not one side effect, can only imagine that with a few drugs.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 PM

4,611 posts, read 10,471,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
REGULATED to give us all the side effects they give....why is that, I've asked that many times and never get an answer from the experts here.

I take a good load of supplements and not one side effect, can only imagine that with a few drugs.
You have asked the question about side effects MANY times and it has been answered MANY times....the fact that you are unwilling to accept the answer does not mean an answer has not been given.

Many supplements DO have potentially serious side effects....the fact that YOU haven't experienced any doesn't mean they don't exist. Supplement makers aren't required to report side effects or even test for side effects....

"Many supplements have mild effects with few risks. But use caution. Vitamin K, for example, will reduce the ability of blood thinners to work. Ginkgo can increase blood thinning. The herb St. John’s wort is sometimes used to ease depression, anxiety or nerve pain, but it can also speed the breakdown of many drugs—such as antidepressants and birth control pills—and make them less effective.

Just because a supplement is promoted as “natural” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe. The herbs comfrey and kava, for example, can seriously damage the liver."
https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2013/08...ry-supplements

The majority of folks taking prescription medications don't experience side effects from those medications or if they do they are minor and/or short lived.

Stating that you can "only imagine that (no side effects) with a few drugs" may or may not be your experience but it clearly is NOT everyone's experience.

The same way you expand YOUR problems with a hip replacement to mean that MOST people have complications when the exact OPPOSITE is true.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:25 PM

18,566 posts, read 6,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You have asked the question about side effects MANY times and it has been answered MANY times....the fact that you are unwilling to accept the answer does not mean an answer has not been given.

Many supplements DO have potentially serious side effects....the fact that YOU haven't experienced any doesn't mean they don't exist. Supplement makers aren't required to report side effects or even test for side effects....

"Many supplements have mild effects with few risks. But use caution. Vitamin K, for example, will reduce the ability of blood thinners to work. Ginkgo can increase blood thinning. The herb St. John’s wort is sometimes used to ease depression, anxiety or nerve pain, but it can also speed the breakdown of many drugs—such as antidepressants and birth control pills—and make them less effective.

Just because a supplement is promoted as “natural” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe. The herbs comfrey and kava, for example, can seriously damage the liver."
https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2013/08...ry-supplements

The majority of folks taking prescription medications don't experience side effects from those medications or if they do they are minor and/or short lived.

Stating that you can "only imagine that (no side effects) with a few drugs" may or may not be your experience but it clearly is NOT everyone's experience.

The same way you expand YOUR problems with a hip replacement to mean that MOST people have complications when the exact OPPOSITE is true.
Oh yes, there can be a few out of the 1000's out there. And I'd say the majority do experience side effects from pharma drugs...we come from two different schools of medicine, right? No supplement put me in the ER with stomach ulcer but a pharma drug did.

Tell me again, why all the side effects and why drugs can't be brought to us CLEAN and maybe I'll not ask again..

Old 06-05-2018, 03:25 PM

4,611 posts, read 10,471,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh yes, there can be a few out of the 1000's out there. And I'd say the majority do experience side effects from pharma drugs...we come from two different schools of medicine, right? No supplement put me in the ER with stomach ulcer but a pharma drug did.

Tell me again, why all the side effects and why drugs can't be brought to us CLEAN and maybe I'll not ask again..
1. Only one of us comes from a "school of medicine" and makes a living treating patients....so saying" we come from 2 different schools of medicine right?"....wrong

2. You'd say the "majority do experience side effects from pharma drugs"...yes you COULD say that, you would be wrong of course, no evidence to back up that erroneous statement....but sure you "could say that"

3. Everyone knows you love your anecdotes and you believe they actually prove something...they don't.
People go to the ER from side effects due to supplements as well just because YOU haven't doesn't mean it never happens...

Plus anyone can read the label on whatever NSAID they are taking and see right there the risk for GI bleeding....something you can't do with a supplement since the manufacturers don't have to test for side effects nor tell you about them even if they do know.

I would also say it says something about the person who has history of GI bleed on one NSAID but continues to take another, Ibuprofen, that ALSO HAS A RISK OF GI BLEED. A risk that is HIGHER in someone with prior history of GI bleed.

So it seems your tolerance for possible side effects varies based on your perceived need for the medication...the same calculus that EVERY patient goes through when deciding to take a medication or not even OTC

4. Not playing your side effect game of "tell me again" about WHY side effects occur....its been done over and over by myself and numerous others....you will just ignore the facts of the matter again as you always do

Not sure what bringing a medication in "CLEAN" is even supposed to mean???

Sure many supplements do not have side effects....that's because they don't DO anything....no active ingredient...no bioactivity....no physiologic effect positive or negative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or