Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times

Advertisements

My issues got better when I vecame vegetarian, almost vegan. I also gave to drink a lot of liquid as I had a gastric bypass (very easy to get stopped up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
LOL, I have no idea what this would do for normal people. Not sure I would want to find out.
Yeah TMI sometimes can be helpful.

I have the entire opposite problem.

Every thing I eat runs right through me. ( no pun intended)

I have irritable bowel syndrome (ibs), and I now see they have a med for that, as advertised, but can't remember which way it helps.

Many many years ago, I went to my gastroenterologist, and he said take fiber. I said I thought that was to make you go, and I DEFINITELY don't have that problem. He said no, it can bulk you up which I needed or it can make you go. It does both.

Imodium ( to stop diarrhea (? I never could spell that word)) was and still can be my friend.

For a couple years, I didn't need the fiber, things naturally moved along well, normally.

But recently the problem has,returned with a vengeance, and im back on fiber to bulk up.

Beans are high in fiber, so maybe with or without sprouting, they may have helped you.

There is a liquid (non magnesium) something citrate in a bottle that looks lije an old soda bottle, clear liquid, that we use to vacate before a bowel colonoscopy...OP, have you tried that stuff? That stuff will make you go with only drinking half a bottle! On top of that they have us use Miralax to further empty.

Good luck keeping things "moving along".... ( ok, pun intended)...

Old 06-02-2018, 12:00 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
OP - my housemate has exactly the same problem you described in your first post. When I told her about this thread she was very interested and would like to know what type of beans you used.
Oh Kobber, I was afraid someone would ask me this and for the life of me I can't remember. They were a different kind of bean than I usually eat..something like Jacob's Cattle maybe. However, I'm not altogether convinced that it was the type of bean--I suspect it was the 4 day soak that did it. I'm so sorry I didn't keep track of the variety but by the time I'd figured out that they were magic beans I had already disposed of the package.

Tell your roommate to cover them with water to soak and then change the water 1x/day and don't let them mold, though they will get covered with rafts of bubbles that will kind of resemble mold. If they start to smell bad throw them out...these did not smell bad. I suppose one might have to experiment if it doesn't work the first time b/c I surely can't remember all the particulars. I'm afraid to do it again b/c things are perfect now and I don't want to tip the balance.

In reply to several other posts mentioning foods like kefir, which I love--it did not have nearly the same effect. I think it was doing me good but not helping the BM problems. I have probably tried everything under the sun. I read magazines about supplements and if a new fiber comes out I try it. I love oatmeal and would eat it for breakfast every day but it doesn't do the trick, nor does oat fiber. However, this forum is for all of us so I hope some others find good suggestions. After my bean experience I had to back off the fiber some lol--it's weird how different we all are.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:36 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Thanks Stepka - seems Jacob's Cattle Beans are native to Maine - and we are in Australia! I've never heard of them (which doesn't mean much since I don't like beans). Seems they are related to the red kidney bean, so my housemate can try it with them. I'll be sure to tell her to change the water daily and check the smell!

Hopefully, whatever she uses will also be magic!

Old 06-02-2018, 06:22 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
I totally believe you but am puzzled as to how the correcting effect of the beans has lasted so long! You haven't eaten them since?

Old 06-02-2018, 07:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
I totally believe you but am puzzled as to how the correcting effect of the beans has lasted so long! You haven't eaten them since?
I think what some people are getting at is that you establish a "culture" in your gut and it stays there. This is well known - beneficial bacteria.

It was only a few years ago that I heard 50% of your neurons (that's right - the "thinking" part of you) are in your digestive system. That's why all of this stuff is so important.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...stems-excerpt/

Thoreau:

"I am inclined to think of late that as much depends on the state of the bowels as of the stars. As are your bowels, so are the stars."

"If anything ail a man, so that he does not perform his functions, if he have a pain in his bowels even—for that is the seat of sympathy—he forthwith sets about reforming—the world."

Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think what some people are getting at is that you establish a "culture" in your gut and it stays there. This is well known - beneficial bacteria.

It was only a few years ago that I heard 50% of your neurons (that's right - the "thinking" part of you) are in your digestive system. That's why all of this stuff is so important.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...stems-excerpt/

Thoreau:

"I am inclined to think of late that as much depends on the state of the bowels as of the stars. As are your bowels, so are the stars."

"If anything ail a man, so that he does not perform his functions, if he have a pain in his bowels even—for that is the seat of sympathy—he forthwith sets about reforming—the world."
Yes, my Master's is in medical genetics so I am well familiar with anatomy and physiological function which is why I am amazed that OP corrected a dysmotility that was yes, likely neurologic in etiology (as peristalsis is controlled by the autonomic nervous system), via one meal. I do believe her. But I am amazed nonetheless.

Correcting a bacterial overgrowth takes more than one meal. Correcting dysmotility often involves more than fixing bacterial overgrowth and sometimes gut flora is not a factor at all.

Never saw neurons described in any textbooks nor lectures when I was in school and grad school as the "thinking part of you". Maybe that'd be a good -though inaccurate- way to describe them to a 5y/o.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:22 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My issues got better when I vecame vegetarian, almost vegan. I also gave to drink a lot of liquid as I had a gastric bypass (very easy to get stopped up).
I’ve e always have slow vowels and RNY has made it infinitely worse.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
After being soaked for that long, your beans were starting to sprout, whether you could see any actual sprouts or not. The complex storage carbohydrates in the beans, which are hard to digest, begin to change their form into simpler carbohydrates which are more readily usable by the bean plant embryo. And by you. When I do this - I don’t always - I notice a definite change in the bean’s flavor - they are blander, not as savory - I just add some broth or soy sauce to get the flavor back.

Sprouting is not fermentation. Sprouting requires oxygen, while fermentation must occur in the absence of oxygen.

When you rinsed the beans, you were getting rid of some of those problematic complex carbohydrates.
You are very smart! Thank you! and stepka...

Old 06-02-2018, 07:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
OP - I eat Ezekiel bread & cereal which is made from sprouted grains, not the usual wheat that is in most breads & cereals. I don't have an issue like yours but I do try to eat as little gluten as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness