U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 04:47 PM

27,649 posts, read 17,711,469 times

Advertisements

I have red beans (which seem the closest) so I am going to soak them now. If I recreated correctly you had them soak for three days? Outside of the fridge and uncovered?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 04:58 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,539,764 times
hot yoga cured mine

Old 06-02-2018, 05:06 PM

5,498 posts, read 6,439,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
...I'm not familiar with bush beans - maybe they're similar to pinto beans?...
'Bush beans' are not a single type of bean. The word 'bush' describes the growth habit of the plant, as opposed to beans that are a vining type (which typically needs to be supported by strings, a trellis or some other [somewhat] vertically oriented support). Some types of beans can be had in both bush and vining varieties.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:22 PM

976 posts, read 859,114 times
Thanks for the clarification. I obviously don't know much about beans!

Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 PM

9,465 posts, read 16,437,892 times
You asked for it, you got it. The brand of the bean was Great Value, which is a Walmart brand and I was just now at Walmart and bought what I think it was but not sure, which is Cranberry beans. They are tan with dark red speckles and not the usual navy or pinto we are all familiar with. A serving has 9 grams of fiber.

Now this is where my memory isn't quite clear so if this doesn't work the first time you'll want to experiment. Put the beans on to soak and I use a cast iron kettle if it matters. I cover them with water. The part where my memory isn't clear though is whether I actually changed the water every single day or whether I soaked for 2 whole days the first time which is quite possible. I know that I was wondering at a couple of points whether I should throw them out. They got rafts of bubbles on the surface, which I scooped off a couple of times. By the third or fourth day, can't remember now, I was def thinking I should throw them out but I drained and sniffed them and decided to go ahead and use them so I cooked them up as usual and that's when the fun started. LOL.

Oh, and Mikala, I did soak them outside the fridge and uncovered. I do hope that it works for someone else...it's a group experiment of a sort.

D Boy, I"m looking into that hot yoga...

Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
LMAO I've been retired awhile.

This is way interesting. Somehow your motility corrected; my training and knowledge of 27 years in a medical field (not bean research though ) says this doesn't make sense that you ingested beans and your bowel ceased to be irritable (irritable is actually a neuro term). Something else may've been in play.

Could there be something else you started to do differently around that same time?
One thing I'm wondering...I mean it's quite possible that the beans fermented and populated my gut with exactly what it needs, but is it possible that they killed off an organism that was causing the problem in the first place? Also, this seems to be a familial thing as my mother suffered this and my younger daughter does as well. Or did until she got on a vegan diet, which is a thing I didn't really agree with but it seems to be doing her a world of good.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:50 PM

1,935 posts, read 742,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
One thing I'm wondering...I mean it's quite possible that the beans fermented and populated my gut with exactly what it needs, but is it possible that they killed off an organism that was causing the problem in the first place? Also, this seems to be a familial thing as my mother suffered this and my younger daughter does as well. Or did until she got on a vegan diet, which is a thing I didn't really agree with but it seems to be doing her a world of good.
Doesn't make sense, that. One of the reasons gut flora gets out of whack is dysmotility; (there are other causes but your symptoms align with dysmotility secondary to IBS) if a person has motility issues such as IBS, often they'll have bouts of SIBO/SBBO (small intestine/bowel bacterial overgrowth) due to the food not moving efficiently through the alimentary canal.

Now one may correct SIBO, usually with antibiotics but unless one corrects the dysmotility which is causative, it may recur and whole thing starts all over again.

Your symptoms (alternating diarrhea/constipation) are hallmarks of IBS not SIBO. Your symptoms as herein described do not connote SIBO they DO connote IBS.

It seems what you did was somehow correct your dysmotility. As IBS is often relapsing/remitting you somehow put it into a quiescent state.

Even if the beans contained bacteria that somehow helped your gut flora, if your IBS was still active symptoms would've recurred.

One reason a vegan diet may be helping alleviate your daughter's symptoms (I have a vegan daughter too, actually) is meat takes a lot longer to move through the gut and the longer transit time can exacerbate symptoms as food is "sitting there" longer.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Well, I DO have IBS and it's only in the last 3 years that instead of going 5 times a day, now it's a couple times a week, and not a "good" one, more like pebbles. Okay... enough of THAT.

I will be stage two of the test, though not cranberry beans. If this doesn't do anything, I'll try them and then give up.

I will turn them into Dal or something...

Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 PM

Some info on sprouting, fermenting and health with beans.

I have a couple gallons of kombocha I can add to assist.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
Your symptoms (alternating diarrhea/constipation) are hallmarks of IBS not SIBO. Your symptoms as herein described do not connote SIBO they DO connote IBS.
I need to correct you on something. I never had the alternating diarrhea/constipation, only the constipation. The only time I got diarrhea was with a stomach bug and I haven't had one in years. I did have some problems with diarrhea when my holistic doc put me on anti-parasitics but that stopped as soon as I stopped the pills.

Another interesting piece of the puzzle though and I have no idea if it is significant, is that I have a real problem digesting red meat. I assume it's because I have problems producing enough stomach acid. Conventional docs put me thru a couple of tests, shook their heads and said it must be part of the IBS. Because of this I eat mainly a vegetarian diet but have never felt the yen to go all the way to a vegan diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or